25 years service to
the Rugby League

Joel Monaghan scored a try either side of half-time to help Warrington into the semi-finals of the Challenge Cup where they will face Hull.

Warrington started at a frightening pace chalking up a 20-0 lead by the 25 minute mark through Paul Wood, Trent Waterhouse, Micky Higham and Chris Briers.

The visitors scored twice before the break to spark a possible comeback but Monaghan scored his second and Lee Briers scored to put the game beyond doubt.

Wood’s opening try came just ten minutes in after an early period of Warrington pressure took its toll on the Giants defence.

Ben Westwood looked likely to power over himself off Lee Briers’ drop off pass but he produced a spectacular offload to claim the assist.

Just four minutes later, Warrington found their way over again – Stefan Ratchford fooling Huddersfield with a short ball to Trent Waterhouse who looked to be a dummy runner for the approaching Brett Hodgson.

After a storming Chris Hill break, Ratchford looked for centre, Chris Bridge with a grubber kick to the left flank but when it rebounded off the Giants defence, the Wolves would have another six.

But in-form hooker, Micky Higham immediately burrowed his way over from the first play the ball for Warrington’s third try within the first quarter.

With excellent completion and a high percentage of possession, the Wolves looked to secure their victory within the first half an hour with Ryan Atkins holding off three defenders to set up winger, Chris Riley.

But quick hands from Leroy Cudjoe and Jermaine McGilvary caused problems for
Warrington’s left edge, so much so that they conceded a penalty for holding down.

And as the clock struck 30, the Giants got themselves back in the game from the penalty with hooker, Shaun Lunt managing to ground the ball from dummy-half.

There was some doubt in the mind of referee, Phil Bentham but his assistant in the video box gave the try the green light and Danny Brough converted to make it 20-6.

Huddersfield’s surge continued right up until the break with substitute, Dale Ferguson powering through Simon Grix and then over Brett Hodgson for his side’s second.

Hodgson got his revenge though by racing through the defence of his former side before handing the ball on to Atkins who in turn found Joel Monaghan.

Monaghan danced through the in-goal to make the conversion quite simple and Hodgson obliged to reopen a commanding 26-12 lead at half-time.

The first try of the second half would prove to be vital and although it was scored in controversial circumstances, it went the way of Warrington.

Monaghan touched down for his second with five minutes played after a great out the back door pass from Chris Bridge who didn't look out of place in the absence of Ryan Atkins.

Mike Cooper then thought he had opened the floodgates when he touched down under the uprights but the referee was quick to rule a forward pass.

But it proved not to matter as veteran stand-off, Lee Briers pounced on his own inch perfect grubber for the Wolves’ seventh.

Gareth Carvell widened the deficit to an unexpected 30 points but the visitors made the scoreline a little more respectable – Jermaine McGilvary and Scott Grix scoring late on, on the right flank.

Warrington: Hodgson, Riley, Bridge, Grix, J Monaghan, Briers, Ratchford, Wood, Higham, Hill, Waterhouse, Westwood, Cooper.
Replacements: Morley, M Monaghan, Carvell, Currie.
T: J Monaghan 2, Wood, Waterhouse, Higham, Riley, Briers, Carvell
G: Hodgson 6/8

Huddersfield: Grix, McGilvary, Cudjoe, Wardle, Murphy, Brough, Robinson, Patrick, Lunt, Kopczak, Ferres, Ta’ai, Lawrence.
Replacements: Crabtree, Faiumu, Ferguson, Mullally.
T: Lunt, Ferguson, McGillvary
G: Brough 3/3

Referee: Phil Bentham
Video Referee: Ian Smith

facebook sharing button
twitter sharing button
pinterest sharing button
email sharing button
sharethis sharing button

Posted by RLFANS Correspondent on Sun 14th Jul 2013 7:00 PM | Views : 7383 | Replies : 0 | BACK TO STORIES