Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Morgan Smith - confirmed 2 year deal
Re: Morgan Smith : Fri Oct 07, 2022 12:21 pm  
BarnsleyGull wrote:
How about givng him a chance first?

We have tried to bring championship player to play in the halfs before .He is 24 year old like all the players we have brought from the Championship for key positions they all have lacked pace for S L .Sorry but I am beging to fear for us next seson
Re: Morgan Smith - confirmed 2 year deal : Fri Oct 07, 2022 12:29 pm  
Liam Finn and Jamie Rooney came from championship. I would say they both became very good Superleague half backs.
Re: Morgan Smith - confirmed 2 year deal : Fri Oct 07, 2022 12:32 pm  
Good signing, welcome Morgan!
Re: Morgan Smith - confirmed 2 year deal : Fri Oct 07, 2022 12:46 pm  
Borderboy wrote:
Liam Finn and Jamie Rooney came from championship. I would say they both became very good Superleague half backs.

Will not say any thing about Finn because we got about one and a half good seasons out of him from a 3 year contract. J R had pace could kick goals and had a great kicking game .The main point is they both played with two of the best teams we have had at Wakefield .At present We have a team that as finishing in the bottom 2\3 for the last 4 seasons and the main players who stopped us going down have left the club .We also have a untried S L coach so to me bringing in championship players for key positions is not going to work
Re: Morgan Smith : Fri Oct 07, 2022 1:03 pm  
alegend wrote:
We have tried to bring championship player to play in the halfs before .He is 24 year old like all the players we have brought from the Championship for key positions they all have lacked pace for S L .Sorry but I am beging to fear for us next seson

Nothing new there then.

As stated, he's played 30 odd SL games, so he's not just a Championship player!

He's got plenty of pace over 30 meters, certainly more than Miller, you clearly haven't taken a look at him, you've just dismissed him as far as I can tell.

What exactly is your issue with decent young players making their way in the game?

Finally,

Sam Obst
Brad Davis
Danny Brough

Were they lacking in pace?

Now where they came from?

In fact who are these slow championship H/B's we signed in the past because I'm struggling to think of one other than Finn and he made up for it in brain power. :roll:
Re: Morgan Smith - confirmed 2 year deal : Fri Oct 07, 2022 1:23 pm  
Finn was slow as a fart, but I tell you what that rugby brain was unreal.
Re: Morgan Smith - confirmed 2 year deal : Fri Oct 07, 2022 2:04 pm  
It's pretty physical in the championship so he's no mug. Played hooker as well so can tackle.
He looks quick but it is a step up to Super League in speed. I'm sure the preseason will help him with that.
Whether he has the halfback skills we'll only find out when he's got a defense rushing at him and we are camped on the opposition line.
I look forward to find out.
Re: Morgan Smith - confirmed 2 year deal : Fri Oct 07, 2022 2:17 pm  
Haven't seen much of the championship but the lads arrived so gets my support.
Seems we will be staying with 3 half backs.
Vasty I thought Brough was fast.
Re: Morgan Smith - confirmed 2 year deal : Fri Oct 07, 2022 2:18 pm  
PopTart wrote:
It's pretty physical in the championship so he's no mug. Played hooker as well so can tackle.
He looks quick but it is a step up to Super League in speed. I'm sure the preseason will help him with that.
Whether he has the halfback skills we'll only find out when he's got a defense rushing at him and we are camped on the opposition line.
I look forward to find out.

It's been two seasons out of SL so he will be rusty but he should also know what to expect.

He's a punt but a very sensible punt, and he's not a SL virgin.
Re: Morgan Smith - confirmed 2 year deal : Fri Oct 07, 2022 2:21 pm  
lampyboy wrote:
Haven't seen much of the championship but the lads arrived so gets my support.
Seems we will be staying with 3 half backs.
Vasty I thought Brough was fast.

He was, that's the point I was making. The only HB we got from the Championship (although we actually got him from Cas) who was slow was Finn. All the rest including Jamie Rooney didn't lack any pace. I just don't know who Alegend is referring to.
PreviousNext