FORUMS FORUMS







RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

  
 Current LIVE TV Match : St.Helens 10 - 4 Leigh Leopards LIVE ON SKY SPORTS Makinson Try, Percival Goal
 Current LIVE TV Match : Warrington Wolves 30 - 8 Castleford Tigers LIVE ON SKY SPORTS Thewlis Try, Not Converted
 Current LIVE TV Match : Wigan Warriors 30 - 16 Huddersfield Giants LIVE ON SKY SPORTS Dupree Try, Smith Goal
WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Russell
Russell : Sun Sep 25, 2022 9:28 am  
Would be really interested in peoples thoughts on Russell for next season. Capable of really good games and then some shockers. Essentially an organiser in any given team. Young, English academy product which makes me want him to succeed with us. I am just not sure he is going to if we want to push on in the short term. In Fages, we have a player who is currently better and certainly more experienced but is essentially an organiser who does the same job as Russell. Just don’t think they fit in the same team at the same time. For me is Fages is fit , Russell should not be playing. We need a creative off the cuff half to compliment one of them. I would like to see Tui at 6 next year. There are other options as well such as Marsters but will be interested to see who Cogger is replaced by?
Re: Russell : Sun Sep 25, 2022 10:46 am  
The Judderman wrote:
Would be really interested in peoples thoughts on Russell for next season. Capable of really good games and then some shockers. Essentially an organiser in any given team. Young, English academy product which makes me want him to succeed with us. I am just not sure he is going to if we want to push on in the short term. In Fages, we have a player who is currently better and certainly more experienced but is essentially an organiser who does the same job as Russell. Just don’t think they fit in the same team at the same time. For me is Fages is fit , Russell should not be playing. We need a creative off the cuff half to compliment one of them. I would like to see Tui at 6 next year. There are other options as well such as Marsters but will be interested to see who Cogger is replaced by?



I’m not sure we will replace cogger. We have brought in Marsters who can play at 6, and naiqama who has also played in the halves at international level for Fiji.so I think Watson will feel he has cover there if necessary. I expect to see pryce play more next season at FB which is where Watson says he sees Pryce, he has another full preseason to work on his game at FB now so there really is no excuse for Watson not to have him as first choice in that position- and that would surely put tui at 6.

Wakefield are talking about cogger on their board- not too bright their fans are they- one has suggested if they sign him we might pay some of his wages :lol: :lol: :DOH:
Re: Russell : Sun Sep 25, 2022 1:05 pm  
The Judderman wrote:
Would be really interested in peoples thoughts on Russell for next season. Capable of really good games and then some shockers. Essentially an organiser in any given team. Young, English academy product which makes me want him to succeed with us. I am just not sure he is going to if we want to push on in the short term. In Fages, we have a player who is currently better and certainly more experienced but is essentially an organiser who does the same job as Russell. Just don’t think they fit in the same team at the same time. For me is Fages is fit , Russell should not be playing. We need a creative off the cuff half to compliment one of them. I would like to see Tui at 6 next year. There are other options as well such as Marsters but will be interested to see who Cogger is replaced by?


I have made my opinion clear many times, Fages and Russell should not be on the pitch together, as we offer no attacking threat through the middle with them both there. Russell is a backup half and should play when Fages is not available. Marsters is an out and out centre and should not be the answer either, we need an out and out quality running half back to get anywhere near challenging for honours. Look at the damage players like Croft and Lomax cause when they run at a defence, that is what we need and i do not see any sign of us getting it. Pryce has not got the skillset to play there week in week out weither and would obviously only be a short term option, he can step and score he has no creative ability at all.

I've never rated Cogger, simply not good enough as an overseas spot, he is in the same mould as Fages and Rusell, organiser not runner of the ball, he causes very little problems to opposition with ball in hand. Look at the number of tries scored by our halves last year and you will see the problems we have, hell even look at the number of tries scored by our backs last year. Marsters is the only signing i'm excited about so far, the rest are too old or meh. If we don't sign another halfback for next year i will be massively disappointed.
Re: Russell : Sun Sep 25, 2022 1:16 pm  
Hangerman2 wrote:
I have made my opinion clear many times, Fages and Russell should not be on the pitch together, as we offer no attacking threat through the middle with them both there. Russell is a backup half and should play when Fages is not available. Marsters is an out and out centre and should not be the answer either, we need an out and out quality running half back to get anywhere near challenging for honours. Look at the damage players like Croft and Lomax cause when they run at a defence, that is what we need and i do not see any sign of us getting it. Pryce has not got the skillset to play there week in week out weither and would obviously only be a short term option, he can step and score he has no creative ability at all.

I've never rated Cogger, simply not good enough as an overseas spot, he is in the same mould as Fages and Rusell, organiser not runner of the ball, he causes very little problems to opposition with ball in hand. Look at the number of tries scored by our halves last year and you will see the problems we have, hell even look at the number of tries scored by our backs last year. Marsters is the only signing i'm excited about so far, the rest are too old or meh. If we don't sign another halfback for next year i will be massively disappointed.


Cogger is gone. I’m surprised you aren’t impressed by rushton- a very good signing IMO. Personally I can’t see us signing another halfback Looks like you are going to be massively disappointed.
Re: Russell : Sun Sep 25, 2022 1:39 pm  
we all will be as the season pans out , yea Rushton looks great, but we already have plenty of great players in those positions
Re: Russell : Mon Sep 26, 2022 11:32 am  
Hangerman2 wrote:
we all will be as the season pans out , yea Rushton looks great, but we already have plenty of great players in those positions


We do but Watson is probably looking forward. Hill and Lawrence likely won’t be with us after next year. Possibly Seb too. And Wilson trout, English rushton are still very young in prop forward terms, so I can see he will want to spell them.
I suspect Watson will stick with pryce for this year and as we know he’s going next year will be actively looking early on for a suitable replacement.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 69 guests

REPLY

Subject: 
Message:
   
Please note using apple style emoji's can result in posting failures.
Use the FULL EDITOR to better format content or upload images, be notified of replies etc...

Return to Huddersfield Giants