RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Transfer Talk / Rumour thread V4
Re: Transfer Talk / Rumour thread V4 : Tue Mar 05, 2024 11:47 am  
Re: Transfer Talk / Rumour thread V4 : Tue Mar 05, 2024 12:13 pm  
Its an interesting one. He's obviously got much more chance of making it than a union prop. The quotes make it sound like he's not really wanting to play RL (never watched it before etc), and the fact he's 23 and only played a handful of top flight RU games makes you wonder as well, but we'll see.
Re: Transfer Talk / Rumour thread V4 : Tue Mar 05, 2024 3:07 pm  
Yes, he doesn't really sell himself for signing for Leeds. Never really watched RL or cared for it. Sounds like he was out of options and this was the only thing available to him.
Re: Transfer Talk / Rumour thread V4 : Tue Mar 05, 2024 3:18 pm  
Yep not overwhelmed with this one, doubt it will come to much. The player seems fairly tall and is rapid apparently, but he's going to find the transition pretty brutal. If he was any good he surely would have remained in RU.

We also have some decent wingers coming through the system (or centres like Simpson/Smith who could do a job on the wing). It is good that the club is open minded though.
Re: Transfer Talk / Rumour thread V4 : Tue Mar 05, 2024 3:25 pm  
Bit strange, still best of luck to the lad. Some of the rugby union championship teams pay decent money. Probably better than some super league bottom of the scale earners,
Re: Transfer Talk / Rumour thread V4 : Tue Mar 05, 2024 3:44 pm  
Nothing ventured nothing gained, it's not costing us much if anything to trial him.
Re: Transfer Talk / Rumour thread V4 : Tue Mar 05, 2024 7:06 pm  
Who will ever forget Doug Laughton spotting Martin Offiah playing in the Middlesex Rugby Union 7's tournament before then signing him for Widnes?
The rest is now history, as he went on to being the best winger of his generation (probably in either hemisphere too) along with Jason Robinson.

There are some hidden gems to be found out there in RU, but not as many nowadays since RU officially went professional, rather than handing large brown envelopes out to their elite players to keep them in the game. :wink:
Re: Transfer Talk / Rumour thread V4 : Tue Mar 05, 2024 7:16 pm  
The Biffs Back wrote:
Who will ever forget Doug Laughton spotting Martin Offiah playing in the Middlesex Rugby Union 7's tournament before then signing him for Widnes?
The rest is now history, as he went on to being the best winger of his generation (probably in either hemisphere too) along with Jason Robinson.

There are some hidden gems to be found out there in RU, but not as many nowadays since RU officially went professional, rather than handing large brown envelopes out to their elite players to keep them in the game. :wink:

If this is another Martin Offiah I’ll wash your car for a year.
Re: Transfer Talk / Rumour thread V4 : Tue Mar 05, 2024 7:23 pm  
Interesting from the RS presser;

1) Corey Johnson sounds done at Leeds (not surprisingly)
2) not many signings anticipated for next season
3) Bentley is golden balls

I think we might sign Dan Okoro still from Bradford then; aside from that I guess it depends how the season goes. We have lots of projects plus academy lads now and difficult to predict where gaps will be.

Even at prop if we get Okoro, TNW develops, Hudson Ruan and maybe Toby Warren all potentials too…If Gannon doesn’t fully recover I might be tempted to replace Donno and Martin with a strike, big, second row from NRL.
Re: Transfer Talk / Rumour thread V4 : Tue Mar 05, 2024 8:09 pm  
KaeruJim wrote:
If this is another Martin Offiah I’ll wash your car for a year.

If it is i'll wash your car for a year too :lol:
PreviousNext