FORUMS FORUMS







RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
24 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!
  
WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Tory Leadership Contest
::Off-topic discussion.
Re: Tory Leadership Contest : Tue Aug 16, 2022 10:23 pm  
wotsupcas wrote:
So we got the same deal as if we were in the EU without having to pay for the privilege?
Hmmmm :IDEA:


No because our trade deal with Japan isn’t as comprehensive.

The GBP 1.5 billion/annum boost to GDP announced by the government was not on top of the GBP 2.1 billion/annum boost we got from the EU-Japan trade deal. Basically it’s cost us at least 0.6billion/annum based on the exaggerated forecasts from the government.

Those figures, of course, were based on expected growth at that time - we’re about to go into a recession. It’s skewed even more in their favour now as the EU economies continue to grow whilst we are contracting. But based on the figures we had before we entered recession, even with the cost of being an EU member, the return was greater.
Re: Tory Leadership Contest : Tue Aug 16, 2022 10:38 pm  
wotsupcas wrote:
So we got the same deal as if we were in the EU without having to pay for the privilege?
Hmmmm :IDEA:

Oh My God, there's someone who still thinks we paid in more than we got out.

It's amazing, and terrifying, how pervasive the lies of Johnson & Farage were and how toxic their legacy of misinformation is proving.
Re: Tory Leadership Contest : Wed Aug 17, 2022 5:54 am  
Maccbull_BigBullyBooaza wrote:
No because our trade deal with Japan isn’t as comprehensive.

The GBP 1.5 billion/annum boost to GDP announced by the government was not on top of the GBP 2.1 billion/annum boost we got from the EU-Japan trade deal. Basically it’s cost us at least 0.6billion/annum based on the exaggerated forecasts from the government.

Those figures, of course, were based on expected growth at that time - we’re about to go into a recession. It’s skewed even more in their favour now as the EU economies continue to grow whilst we are contracting. But based on the figures we had before we entered recession, even with the cost of being an EU member, the return was greater.

The EU is forecast, just as we are, to be in recession by the end of the year.
Re: Tory Leadership Contest : Wed Aug 17, 2022 8:03 am  
wotsupcas wrote:
The EU is forecast, just as we are, to be in recession by the end of the year.

You know as well as I do mate, that won't mean anything on here for some of them :wink:
Re: Tory Leadership Contest : Wed Aug 17, 2022 8:25 am  
wotsupcas wrote:
The EU is forecast, just as we are, to be in recession by the end of the year.

The EU is made up of 27 individual nation states so just saying "the EU" isn't very helpful (but it does help Quitters in their attempts to still pretend it is some sort of undefined blob).
But taking your assertion at face value how do the depth and causes of this recession compare to those in the UK?
Re: Tory Leadership Contest : Wed Aug 17, 2022 8:55 am  
The Ghost of '99 wrote:
The EU is made up of 27 individual nation states so just saying "the EU" isn't very helpful (but it does help Quitters in their attempts to still pretend it is some sort of undefined blob).
But taking your assertion at face value how do the depth and causes of this recession compare to those in the UK?

OK. Without trawling through every country individually in the EU would it be OK with you if I used Germany as an example?
According to Bloomberg and many economists Germany is on the brink of recession due to high energy costs. HTH
Re: Tory Leadership Contest : Wed Aug 17, 2022 9:07 am  
wotsupcas wrote:
OK. Without trawling through every country individually in the EU would it be OK with you if I used Germany as an example?
According to Bloomberg and many economists Germany is on the brink of recession due to high energy costs. HTH

OK, let's get to the bottom of it then...

High energy costs - affecting worldwide and countries particularly reliant on Russian gas. The latter they sort of brought on themselves but they couldn't really have forseen what was about to happen.

Now what is causing the recession in the UK, and why is it worse here than elsewhere?
Re: Tory Leadership Contest : Wed Aug 17, 2022 9:24 am  
wotsupcas wrote:
The EU is forecast, just as we are, to be in recession by the end of the year.


Are they ?
Their forecast is still showing some growth for next year, although, it has been revised downwards.
However, they are still likely to be ahead of the UK and they do of course include one or two "basket cases" in there.

Mind you there are plenty of uncertainties right now and in the near future, we could all be equal once the Nuclear war begins.
Re: Tory Leadership Contest : Wed Aug 17, 2022 11:00 am  
The Ghost of '99 wrote:
OK, let's get to the bottom of it then...

High energy costs - affecting worldwide and countries particularly reliant on Russian gas. The latter they sort of brought on themselves but they couldn't really have forseen what was about to happen.

Now what is causing the recession in the UK, and why is it worse here than elsewhere?

https://www.gfmag.com/global-data/econo ... gdp-growth
Hardly the worst and better than France and Germany . Anyway we're not in recession yet. Are we not suffering from the global high energy costs or is that not an excuse for the UK?
The Ghost of '99 wrote:
OK, let's get to the bottom of it then...

High energy costs - affecting worldwide and countries particularly reliant on Russian gas. The latter they sort of brought on themselves but they couldn't really have forseen what was about to happen.

Now what is causing the recession in the UK, and why is it worse here than elsewhere?

https://www.gfmag.com/global-data/econo ... gdp-growth
Hardly the worst and better than France and Germany . Anyway we're not in recession yet. Are we not suffering from the global high energy costs or is that not an excuse for the UK?
Re: Tory Leadership Contest : Wed Aug 17, 2022 11:52 am  
wotsupcas wrote:
https://www.gfmag.com/global-data/economic-data/countries-lowest-gdp-growth
Hardly the worst and better than France and Germany . Anyway we're not in recession yet. Are we not suffering from the global high energy costs or is that not an excuse for the UK?

God it's like pulling teeth.
And what else is dragging on the UK economy. Causing sluggish exports and huge amounts more red tape and costs?
PreviousNext

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 193 guests

REPLY

Subject: 
Message:
   
Please note using apple style emoji's can result in posting failures.
Use the FULL EDITOR to better format content or upload images, be notified of replies etc...

Return to The Sin Bin