FORUMS FORUMS

RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - IMG
Re: IMG : Fri Dec 16, 2022 10:33 am  
I know I’m probably paranoid when it comes to Trinity, but things like this send a shiver down my spine.
http://e.leeds-live.co.uk/_act/link.php ... Id=8345848
I know I’m probably paranoid when it comes to Trinity, but things like this send a shiver down my spine.
http://e.leeds-live.co.uk/_act/link.php ... Id=8345848
Re: IMG : Fri Dec 16, 2022 11:48 am  
I'm with you Dunkirk.
Like you, call me paranoid but, with the likes of London, Toulouse, Newcastle, York, Bradford, Fev all wanting a spot in SL, IMG will be able to engineer their criteria to fit whoever they want into SL.
The HUGE elephant in the room is what funding will be available and without pointing out the obvious, just what did London's inclusion in SL do for the game overall when they were last in the top flight.
It almost looks like we are going back 25+ years to when SL was started, with certain clubs utterly protected and others (like Trin) being seen as collateral damage.
Something maybe does need to be done to prevent the promoted side being relegated immediately but, you just get the feeling that we are about to get right royally shafted.
Re: IMG : Fri Dec 16, 2022 12:43 pm  
wrencat1873 wrote:
I'm with you Dunkirk.
Like you, call me paranoid but... IMG will be able to engineer their criteria to fit whoever they want into SL.... you just get the feeling that we are about to get right royally shafted.

Disappointing attitude. Can you imagine John Minards spouting this rubbish? MC? This sort of viewpoint keeps us in the dark ages. It's far from helpful. Maybe IMG are independent? Maybe they have been given a clear brief and the best intentions are being pursued with a fully open book?

We have all moaned at the RFL for being impotent, then they do this, and still they are moaned at. Game has to evolve unfortunately and there will be some casualties.
Re: IMG : Fri Dec 16, 2022 12:52 pm  
BackSeatCoach wrote:
Disappointing attitude. Can you imagine John Minards spouting this rubbish? MC? This sort of viewpoint keeps us in the dark ages. It's far from helpful. Maybe IMG are independent? Maybe they have been given a clear brief and the best intentions are being pursued with a fully open book?

We have all moaned at the RFL for being impotent, then they do this, and still they are moaned at. Game has to evolve unfortunately and there will be some casualties.

I think with London it’s being tried numerous times and there’s just not the interest. I have no issue with London being a potential target to grow the game but this should be a long term plan to build on and progressive. Catapulting them into the top league will not and has not worked previously. I think that’s what some fans are fearing. A club who doesn’t measure up to trinity getting a spot purely on location to drive growth in an area. If over time they grow and meet the criteria then nobody could argue.
Re: IMG : Fri Dec 16, 2022 12:58 pm  
I don't see anything wrong with it.
IMG have no axe to grind. They are not engineering something to get rid of us.
But if we don't come up to scratch they probably will.
London isn't our enemy. We need to be a better option than Cas, Fev Bradford etc if we want to be included.
They clearly say London is a long term project too.
Re: IMG : Fri Dec 16, 2022 1:14 pm  
Apparently they want to change the name as other sports are using the Superleague moniker
Re: IMG : Fri Dec 16, 2022 1:53 pm  
PopTart wrote:
London isn't our enemy. We need to be a better option than Cas, Fev Bradford etc if we want to be included.

It must just be me that is getting a whiff of deja vu. ??

I agree that IMG are not "anti Wakefield". However, that doesn't mean that we wont be the fall guys (again).
Equally, I have nothing against London but, my 50+ years on the planet and the many attempted "re brands" of the structure and the sport in general have done sweet FA to elevate the sport and London are NOT the magic silver bullet.
We had a "golden era" when we could cherry pick RU talent with a few gold coins and through self interest and poor management, the sport languished as an also ran, wat behind the major sports in the UK.

Like it or not, we ARE one of the lower end clubs in SL and have been for most of the last 25 years, which clearly makes us vulnerable. Even the most optimistic of Trinity fans must be able to see this.

There are 12 places up for grabs and it will only take 2 or 3 clubs, who are not currently in SL to tick a couple of boxes to see us jettisoned from the top flight.

With the comments from IMG, London seems to be the first one.
Last edited by wrencat1873 on Fri Dec 16, 2022 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Re: IMG : Fri Dec 16, 2022 1:59 pm  
BackSeatCoach wrote:

Are you happy that Trinity could be sacrificed for London, York or anyone else ?

Without additional money, there is little scope for expansion and there has been absolutely no mention of this. In fact, there is more likely to be less cash from Sky (or whoever).

As for the game evolving, I dont know how old you are but, we've had numerous structure changes over the years.
Back in the 80's there were 16 top flight English sides and now we have 11 (10 last year).
So, you will have to excuse my scepticism.
Re: IMG : Fri Dec 16, 2022 2:52 pm  
BackSeatCoach wrote:

It’s only rubbish in your opinion, Watching our game for the past 70 years has taught me to be cynical of our game’s leadership, especially since the onset of Super league.
No I don’t expect MC & JM to spout rubbish, but I’m sure they have considered the possibility, and do everything to minimise risks.
Re: IMG : Fri Dec 16, 2022 3:00 pm  
PopTart wrote:

Fair enough PT, but what do London bring to SL more than Trinity do. I think you’ve been around long enough to remember the start of SL, you’ll remember how Trinity were engineered out of SL.
PreviousNext

Subject: 
Please note using apple style emoji's can result in posting failures.
Use the FULL EDITOR to better format content or upload images, be notified of replies etc...

Return to Wakefield Trinity