FORUMS FORUMS







RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
24 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!
  
WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - What we currently look like for 2023
Re: What we currently look like for 2023 : Tue Oct 04, 2022 2:03 pm  
Anyway back on topic, the squad so far seems extremely thin. A good rump of players to build the team around especialy some young ones who will only improve. However no sign of the two or three really major signings that we need to make us very competitive.
I believe this season will be harder than last year mainly due to the fact that wire will not be so poor and Leigh will be far stronger than tolouse. So all this talk about the need for increased gates and the obvious benefit that the new stand will bring is fair enough. However a decent team that wins plenty of games especially at home is essental and without that I really cant see how the club can grow. If the club plan to do the basic minimum against this season and just hang on to await ground improveents, i think that is a dangerous approach. However from the vibes I am getting it seems to me we are going to gamble again with a very tight budget player wise and then hope we get some more money to spend when the new facilities kick in. Thats OK if it works but we could still suffer relegation and then what happens ?
Re: What we currently look like for 2023 : Tue Oct 04, 2022 2:16 pm  
Sadly we need to look better on the attendance figures next season, Our average gate fell by over 800 per game, I reckon that’s near enough a quarter million £ over the season

Super League clubs' 2019 and 2022 attendances compared

Castleford - 2019: 7,253, 2022: 7,542. Difference: 3.98% increase
Catalans - 2019: 10,259, 2022: 8,068. Difference: 21.35% decrease
Huddersfield - 2019: 5,226, 2022: 5,144. Difference: 1.56% decrease
Hull FC - 2019: 11,478, 2022: 10,763. Difference: 6.22% decrease
Hull KR - 2019: 8,220, 2022: 7,788. Difference: 5.25% decrease
Leeds - 2019: 12,727, 2022: 12,940. Difference: 213: 1.67% increase
Salford - 2019: 3,746, 2022: 4,529. Difference: 783: 20.9% increase
St Helens - 2019: 11,910, 2022: 11,851. Difference: 0.49% decrease
Wakefield - 2019: 5,468, 2022: 4,613. Difference: 15.63% decrease
Warrington - 2019: 10,468, 2022: 8,719. Difference: 16.7% decrease
Wigan - 2019: 11,432, 2022: 12,278. Difference: 846: 7.4% increase
Promoted club - London 2019: 2,021, Toulouse 2022: 4,974, Difference: 2,953
Re: What we currently look like for 2023 : Tue Oct 04, 2022 2:33 pm  
Prince Buster wrote:
Anyway back on topic, the squad so far seems extremely thin. A good rump of players to build the team around especialy some young ones who will only improve. However no sign of the two or three really major signings that we need to make us very competitive.
I believe this season will be harder than last year mainly due to the fact that wire will not be so poor and Leigh will be far stronger than tolouse. So all this talk about the need for increased gates and the obvious benefit that the new stand will bring is fair enough. However a decent team that wins plenty of games especially at home is essental and without that I really cant see how the club can grow. If the club plan to do the basic minimum against this season and just hang on to await ground improveents, i think that is a dangerous approach. However from the vibes I am getting it seems to me we are going to gamble again with a very tight budget player wise and then hope we get some more money to spend when the new facilities kick in. Thats OK if it works but we could still suffer relegation and then what happens ?


Over and above all we must not finish bottom next season and it will be harder as Leigh are better prepared than probably any other team has been coming up next year (only need a handful of players and most will have played together).

The highest risk to trinity in the short term is relegation and the squad must be built that can steer us away from that.

That certainly doesn’t mean that we can rest on our laurels and just depend on winning more games and hoping that draws supporters in. It will certainly help if we do win as you say and there does need to be the ambition to build a team capable of playoff rugby.

Continual improvement needs to be looked at in all areas though and there’s plenty of potential for growth in Wakefield trinity. I don’t envy the trinity directors and staff as it’s going to require a lot of planning and effort as well as possibly some funding but I do have confidence in them.

I don’t think they will wait for the ground to release funds and I do think that they will build a team capable of improving on our 10th place finish.
Re: What we currently look like for 2023 : Tue Oct 04, 2022 4:25 pm  
I was beginning to think think the Miller story had gone away, just seen this on Sky sports page.

Jacob Miller: Half-back swaps Wakefield Trinity for local rivals Castleford Tigers
Half-back Jacob Miller has left Wakefield Trinity to join the Castleford Tigers on a three-year contract ahead of the 2023 Betfred Super League season; Miller will be reunited with his former Hull FC head coach Lee Radford at Castleford

Last Updated: 04/10/22 5:00pm

Jacob Miller is crossing the West Yorkshire divide to join Castleford Tigers from Wakefield Trinity ahead of the 2023 Betfred Super League season.

The 30-year-old half-back confirmed in August he would be leaving Trinity after eight seasons with the club, during which time he was appointed captain.

Miller has now signed a three-year contract with Wakefield's rivals Castleford, who had been looking to replace Hull FC-bound half Jake Trueman and cannot wait to get started at the Tigers under Lee Radford.

I'm obviously moving to a cross-town rival but the team and the squad that we are building for next year is really exciting," Miller said.

"It's probably the main thing that attracted me to come here. I will also be linking up with some familiar faces that I have played with before and been coached by before, that is another thing I am really looking forward to.

"It was a tough decision because Wakefield has played a big part in my journey over here and I've got nothing but good things to say about the place.

"I am grateful for everything they have done for me, and it was a decision I didn't take lightly. It was a great place for me but at the same time, I am looking forward to the new challenge."
Re: What we currently look like for 2023 : Tue Oct 04, 2022 4:45 pm  
Dunkirk Spirit wrote:
I was beginning to think think the Miller story had gone away, just seen this on Sky sports page.

Jacob Miller: Half-back swaps Wakefield Trinity for local rivals Castleford Tigers
Half-back Jacob Miller has left Wakefield Trinity to join the Castleford Tigers on a three-year contract ahead of the 2023 Betfred Super League season; Miller will be reunited with his former Hull FC head coach Lee Radford at Castleford

Last Updated: 04/10/22 5:00pm

Jacob Miller is crossing the West Yorkshire divide to join Castleford Tigers from Wakefield Trinity ahead of the 2023 Betfred Super League season.

The 30-year-old half-back confirmed in August he would be leaving Trinity after eight seasons with the club, during which time he was appointed captain.

Miller has now signed a three-year contract with Wakefield's rivals Castleford, who had been looking to replace Hull FC-bound half Jake Trueman and cannot wait to get started at the Tigers under Lee Radford.

I'm obviously moving to a cross-town rival but the team and the squad that we are building for next year is really exciting," Miller said.

"It's probably the main thing that attracted me to come here. I will also be linking up with some familiar faces that I have played with before and been coached by before, that is another thing I am really looking forward to.

"It was a tough decision because Wakefield has played a big part in my journey over here and I've got nothing but good things to say about the place.

"I am grateful for everything they have done for me, and it was a decision I didn't take lightly. It was a great place for me but at the same time, I am looking forward to the new challenge."


It was the worst kept secret out there. Personally think we have had his best years, 3 years is a risk for Cas, but thats their problem now. What the club must do is find someone better. Smith from Fev is a name doing the rounds. He may have potential but he has never played at the top level. He could be a very shrewd signing and a gem uncovered. The again its one big risk IF ! , he is going to be one of our first choice halves.
Re: What we currently look like for 2023 : Wed Oct 05, 2022 6:00 am  
Prince Buster wrote:
It was the worst kept secret out there. Personally think we have had his best years, 3 years is a risk for Cas, but thats their problem now. What the club must do is find someone better. Smith from Fev is a name doing the rounds. He may have potential but he has never played at the top level. He could be a very shrewd signing and a gem uncovered. The again its one big risk IF ! , he is going to be one of our first choice halves.



PB Smith played 26 times for Warrington in SL and also played for London in SL, he’s no novice.

Seemed to lose his way when London got demoted.

By my reckoning he’s played as many as 30+ SL games. He’s yet to hit his potential but he’s not untried at SL level.

Also scored 22 tries in a season for Fev this year, not to be sniffed ar.

Obviously this info if from Wiki so you can’t always be sure but I think in this case it’s about right.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morgan_ ... gby_league)
Prince Buster wrote:
It was the worst kept secret out there. Personally think we have had his best years, 3 years is a risk for Cas, but thats their problem now. What the club must do is find someone better. Smith from Fev is a name doing the rounds. He may have potential but he has never played at the top level. He could be a very shrewd signing and a gem uncovered. The again its one big risk IF ! , he is going to be one of our first choice halves.



PB Smith played 26 times for Warrington in SL and also played for London in SL, he’s no novice.

Seemed to lose his way when London got demoted.

By my reckoning he’s played as many as 30+ SL games. He’s yet to hit his potential but he’s not untried at SL level.

Also scored 22 tries in a season for Fev this year, not to be sniffed ar.

Obviously this info if from Wiki so you can’t always be sure but I think in this case it’s about right.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morgan_ ... gby_league)
Re: What we currently look like for 2023 : Wed Oct 05, 2022 7:46 am  
vastman wrote:
PB Smith played 26 times for Warrington in SL and also played for London in SL, he’s no novice.

Seemed to lose his way when London got demoted.

By my reckoning he’s played as many as 30+ SL games. He’s yet to hit his potential but he’s not untried at SL level.

Also scored 22 tries in a season for Fev this year, not to be sniffed ar.

Obviously this info if from Wiki so you can’t always be sure but I think in this case it’s about right.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morgan_ ... gby_league)


and his grandad was a good player :)
vastman wrote:
PB Smith played 26 times for Warrington in SL and also played for London in SL, he’s no novice.

Seemed to lose his way when London got demoted.

By my reckoning he’s played as many as 30+ SL games. He’s yet to hit his potential but he’s not untried at SL level.

Also scored 22 tries in a season for Fev this year, not to be sniffed ar.

Obviously this info if from Wiki so you can’t always be sure but I think in this case it’s about right.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morgan_ ... gby_league)


and his grandad was a good player :)
Re: What we currently look like for 2023 : Wed Oct 05, 2022 8:30 am  
vastman wrote:
PB Smith played 26 times for Warrington in SL and also played for London in SL, he’s no novice.

Seemed to lose his way when London got demoted.

By my reckoning he’s played as many as 30+ SL games. He’s yet to hit his potential but he’s not untried at SL level.

Also scored 22 tries in a season for Fev this year, not to be sniffed ar.

Obviously this info if from Wiki so you can’t always be sure but I think in this case it’s about right.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morgan_ ... gby_league)


See his recent highlights here…. Looks like a copy of a younger Miller. Seems to be be an aggressive tackle and have a good running game. That said the one think he looks to have is a nice little kick when on the opposition line. Some nice touches and an area we have been lacking recent years.

See them here [youtube] https://youtu.be/VGyGOodqdsY[/youtube]
vastman wrote:
PB Smith played 26 times for Warrington in SL and also played for London in SL, he’s no novice.

Seemed to lose his way when London got demoted.

By my reckoning he’s played as many as 30+ SL games. He’s yet to hit his potential but he’s not untried at SL level.

Also scored 22 tries in a season for Fev this year, not to be sniffed ar.

Obviously this info if from Wiki so you can’t always be sure but I think in this case it’s about right.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morgan_ ... gby_league)


See his recent highlights here…. Looks like a copy of a younger Miller. Seems to be be an aggressive tackle and have a good running game. That said the one think he looks to have is a nice little kick when on the opposition line. Some nice touches and an area we have been lacking recent years.

See them here [youtube] https://youtu.be/VGyGOodqdsY[/youtube]
Re: What we currently look like for 2023 : Wed Oct 05, 2022 9:24 am  
Trinity closing in on a signing according to John Davidson.

No idea of the credibility or who.
Re: What we currently look like for 2023 : Wed Oct 05, 2022 10:08 am  
Davison is talking about Smith.

My Fev supporting mate is quite surprised he’s got Super League gig. He’s a bit disappointed to be losing him but says he’s not sure he’s a top level halfback. He ended up behind Ryley Jacks and Jonathon Ford by the end of the season, rightly or wrongly. Personally not seen much of him bar the odd appearance on premier sports this year where he didn’t really stand out. I wonder if we have someone else coming in and he is effectively Brad Walkers utility replacement? Smith did play pretty much exclusively as interchange hooker during his time at Warrington. Either way our London 2019 contingent is running a bit low though with Sid departing so we need to keep it topped up!
PreviousNext

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: KevW60349, Wakefield City and 9 guests

REPLY

Subject: 
Message:
   
Please note using apple style emoji's can result in posting failures.
Use the FULL EDITOR to better format content or upload images, be notified of replies etc...

Return to Wakefield Trinity

cron