FORUMS FORUMS

RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Transfer Talk / Rumour thread V4
Re: Transfer Talk / Rumour thread V4 : Sun Nov 26, 2023 9:35 pm  
Sure, for years the club didn’t put enough emphasis on the continual improvement of the junior set up, it was simply paying lip service to the development of younger players. We brought John Bastian back and things changed, we took it seriously again, and we are now starting to see the fruits of our labours. We should be able to produce at least one squad quality back and forward each year, and one international quality player every 3 years or so if we are doing it properly.
Re: Transfer Talk / Rumour thread V4 : Mon Nov 27, 2023 11:50 am  
To be fair to Leeds, we made the mistake of filling too many posts at Headingley with "Jobs for the boys" candidates from the near past.
It also didnt help that Rob Burrow who was making decent strides with the academy was struck down with MND.

That being said there's been plenty of chatter on here and from others far more ITK at how badly mismanaged the academy set up sank to.
Im also glad that we've now turned a corner and are now focussed on climbing back up.
Re: Transfer Talk / Rumour thread V4 : Mon Nov 27, 2023 2:36 pm  
Barrie Mcdermott
Re: Transfer Talk / Rumour thread V4 : Mon Nov 27, 2023 3:58 pm  
"effin clueless" was the verdict.
Re: Transfer Talk / Rumour thread V4 : Mon Nov 27, 2023 4:54 pm  
Can't imagine Adrian Morley did much good in his one year coaching the academy either.
Re: Transfer Talk / Rumour thread V4 : Mon Nov 27, 2023 7:38 pm  
Effin smashem lads only really gets you so far with coaching.
Re: Transfer Talk / Rumour thread V4 : Tue Nov 28, 2023 8:49 am  
Seth wrote:
Effin smashem lads only really gets you so far with coaching.

It might have helped the seniors last season. :D
Re: Transfer Talk / Rumour thread V4 : Tue Nov 28, 2023 12:37 pm  
chapylad wrote:
Wrt Olpherts I must admit when I saw him play for Cas I always thought he looked ok.
However after he signed for us a number of Cas supporters I spoke to said he quite often had a mistake or two in him.
Sour grapes I thought but after seeing him play for us it did ring true.

I was initially pleased with the signing of Olpherts, but he always did seem to have an unforced error in him. What really peed me off, & this appears the same at Leeds, is that he doesn't look to be bothered about his mistakes, in the vein of he couldn't care less rather than it affecting his game. Which is surprising to hear people say it might be a confidence thing.
Re: Transfer Talk / Rumour thread V4 : Tue Nov 28, 2023 1:34 pm  
I know I’ve been his biggest critic on here, but he’s been a very thing I thought he would be. Thankfully we seem to have learned the lesson and he’s not going to feature much next year. Max Simpson would be my first choice for a back up winger, it’ll help his development and he could then become the viable option to replace Newman should he decide the grass is greener elsewhere.
Re: Transfer Talk / Rumour thread V4 : Tue Nov 28, 2023 3:01 pm  
Are you saying that about Olpherts because of the rumours about him being shopped around or because of his squad number? Initially at least Roberts might be ahead of Simpson. Depends how Simpson's recovery goes and how soon into the season a reserve will be needed I suppose.
PreviousNext