FORUMS FORUMS







RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

   WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Missing blonde gentleman
::Off-topic discussion.
Re: Missing blonde gentleman : Thu Nov 05, 2020 2:08 pm  
Sal Paradise wrote:
Mentioned in PMQ's yesterday - Leeds council, Labour run - have yet to distribute >50% of the computers provided by the government for them to supply to kids who can't afford them.

Why is this? Not enough kids need them or Leeds Labour council can't be bothered?

All you lefties on here can criticise Boris all you want over this issue but perhaps you need to look closer at home as to why kids haven't got what they should have. Perhaps if teachers where more interested in the well being of their students rather than each other this wouldn't have happened?


I've been following this story. The claim is that they are all sat in a storeroom in Leeds Civic Hall. Surely in the day and age of all and sundry carrying a camera phone there must be a photo to provide evidence of this? Or is the story to cover for the fact the DfE slashed the promised allocation of laptops by 80%, just before half term?

And anyway, since when did you care about disadvantaged kids? Isn't it the job of the parents to work harder to feed, clothe and provide laptops for their kids?
Re: Missing blonde gentleman : Thu Nov 05, 2020 2:34 pm  
King Street Cat wrote:
I've been following this story. The claim is that they are all sat in a storeroom in Leeds Civic Hall. Surely in the day and age of all and sundry carrying a camera phone there must be a photo to provide evidence of this? Or is the story to cover for the fact the DfE slashed the promised allocation of laptops by 80%, just before half term?

And anyway, since when did you care about disadvantaged kids? Isn't it the job of the parents to work harder to feed, clothe and provide laptops for their kids?


The council will be carrying hundreds of laptops more than they need especially given all their staff are working from home - that's the way of councils. How do you show the difference between the council's and those supposedly going to kids? Suggest its just free stuff for the council.

Of course it must be the government's fault!! - maybe they slashed the allocation because they weren't needed as Leeds has clearly demonstrated!!

All I have ever said is it is a parent's duty to feed, cloth and put a roof over their kids - is that really asking that much - I never said about a laptop - although most parents would be able to afford c£300 every 5 years!!

Keep going defending the indefensible
Re: Missing blonde gentleman : Thu Nov 05, 2020 4:18 pm  
LCC employees are working from home on their LCC laptops, so LCC don't have 100s of spare laptops. These laptops are also configured for the LCC network, so couldn't be used on an external network anyway without a VPN. They actually had to get 100s more laptops in order for the rest of office based work force to be able to work from home.
Re: Missing blonde gentleman : Thu Nov 05, 2020 9:52 pm  
Most people I know who work in the public sector bemoan the ancient IT equipment and vintage versions of Windows/occasional DOS based critical systems.

But Sal knows best!
Re: Missing blonde gentleman : Fri Nov 06, 2020 10:36 am  
Jack Burton wrote:
LCC employees are working from home on their LCC laptops, so LCC don't have 100s of spare laptops. These laptops are also configured for the LCC network, so couldn't be used on an external network anyway without a VPN. They actually had to get 100s more laptops in order for the rest of office based work force to be able to work from home.


My point exactly - do you honestly think LCC only bought exactly the number of computers they needed? If they did they would be the first public service that has.
Re: Missing blonde gentleman : Fri Nov 06, 2020 11:13 am  
The Ghost of '99 wrote:
Most people I know who work in the public sector bemoan the ancient IT equipment and vintage versions of Windows/occasional DOS based critical systems.

But Sal knows best!


If they were working on outdated versions of windows they wouldn't be able to open/read any of the files being sent to them? Of course Ghost knows best!!

Interest debate in parliament yesterday about the billions wasted on IT projects in the NHS!!.

Given that LCC haven't come back and suggested the story is untrue it would seem they are sitting on significant volumes of laptops destined for needy students
Re: Missing blonde gentleman : Fri Nov 06, 2020 4:16 pm  
LCC only upgraded to windows 10 last year.
The claim that LCC still have the laptops at the civic hall is not true.
Re: Missing blonde gentleman : Fri Nov 06, 2020 8:47 pm  
Sal Paradise wrote:
If they were working on outdated versions of windows they wouldn't be able to open/read any of the files being sent to them? Of course Ghost knows best!!


In your ivory tower, out of touch world, you have no idea that the version of Windows is irrelevant to whether you can open Office files - and that files have backward compatibility.

I often wonder how good would it be for your business if you actually enjoyed a day in the real world of the actual workers every now and then.
Re: Missing blonde gentleman : Fri Nov 06, 2020 10:46 pm  
The Ghost of '99 wrote:
In your ivory tower, out of touch world, you have no idea that the version of Windows is irrelevant to whether you can open Office files - and that files have backward compatibility.

I often wonder how good would it be for your business if you actually enjoyed a day in the real world of the actual workers every now and then.


He’s not even that well off. Trust me. Don’t believe a word of what he posts on here. It’s amazing what other posters tell you about people on here
Re: Missing blonde gentleman : Fri Nov 13, 2020 11:07 am  
Cummings to resign as PM before Christmas. But too little too late, the damage has already been done.
PreviousNext

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Scarlet Pimpernell and 60 guests

REPLY

Subject: 
Message:
   
Please note using apple style emoji's can result in posting failures.
Use the FULL EDITOR to better format content or upload images, be notified of replies etc...

Return to The Sin Bin