FORUMS FORUMS







RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
24 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!
  
WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Shaw and Croft
Shaw and Croft : Mon Dec 05, 2022 10:11 am  
See the club have released shaw and Croft , not so suprised re Croft but thought shaw looked decent prospect
Re: Shaw and Croft : Mon Dec 05, 2022 10:46 am  
Kirmudgeonlyisback wrote:
See the club have released shaw and Croft , not so suprised re Croft but thought shaw looked decent prospect


What we see and what the management sees are two different things. Croft looked OK as did Shaw, but I certainly bow to the coach's experience and knowledge of what we don't see in a player.
If either was an outstanding prospect I'd be disappointed but they weren't.
Anyway, maybe they were offered contracts but declined them or thought they were worth more than we were prepared to pay?
Re: Shaw and Croft : Mon Dec 05, 2022 12:58 pm  
Disappointed again two good players just needed game time poor from trinity
Re: Shaw and Croft : Mon Dec 05, 2022 1:02 pm  
cosmicat wrote:
Disappointed again two good players just needed game time poor from trinity


Croft has had plenty of game time. That won't suddenly make him better than Hall, Lyne, Langi or Gaskell.
Re: Shaw and Croft : Mon Dec 05, 2022 1:55 pm  
Very sad story, looks like they could be forced out of the game.
Re: Shaw and Croft : Mon Dec 05, 2022 2:26 pm  
newgroundb4wakey wrote:
Very sad story, looks like they could be forced out of the game.


No, they forced themselves out, or to be fair as they are basically only kids, they were badly advised.

There are a fair few players at Trinity who are now on pretty decent money whose first contracts were very low indeed, Crowther, Jowitt and Hall off the top of my head, they played the smart game. I know it's a short career but unfortunately the same rules apply as in any other, you start low and build up, unless of course you are freakishly talented, not the case here.
Re: Shaw and Croft : Mon Dec 05, 2022 2:27 pm  
newgroundb4wakey wrote:
Very sad story, looks like they could be forced out of the game.


Forcing them out of the game is really bad, but they are not living on the street with the loss of a job.
We are still paying them their current contract for doing nothing.
If they then did get another job, whether scaffolding or RU, it will be quite beneficial for them.

I'd rather both parties agreed a sum that would keep them playing within our budget.
They could be just loaned out to make it cost effective.
Re: Shaw and Croft : Mon Dec 05, 2022 2:30 pm  
vastman wrote:
No, they forced themselves out, or to be fair as they are basically only kids, they were badly advised.

There are a fair few players at Trinity who are now on pretty decent money whose first contracts were very low indeed, Crowther, Jowitt and Hall off the top of my head, they played the smart game. I know it's a short career but unfortunately the same rules apply as in any other, you start low and build up, unless of course you are freakishly talented, not the case here.


You keep saying this but you said earlier you didn't know if we offered them a contract and I assume if you do know, you don't know how much.

So do you know they were offered a contract? Or do you assume they have?
Re: Shaw and Croft : Mon Dec 05, 2022 2:35 pm  
cosmicat wrote:
Disappointed again two good players just needed game time poor from trinity


Whats game time got to do with anything?

It's about money, they were offered a deal and didn't accept it, absolutely nothing to do with game time.

A coach puts a value on a player and the club then has to find the cash, those two players were given a value by Mash and they didn't agree. His job depends on who he signs so he cant be emotional even though he was the man who signed them as youngsters. He will have offered then the most he could but just like Chester and Poching he is yet to find the magic money tree. Do you know where it is?

Finally should you be willing to show some patience and not pre judge, you will soon see that the money earmarked for Croft and Shaw has now been used to promote two more youngsters. How do you know they won't be far better?

In fact I'd hazard a guess that one is Ollie Pratt, and no offence to Croft, Pratt is in a different class.
Re: Shaw and Croft : Mon Dec 05, 2022 2:39 pm  
PopTart wrote:
You keep saying this but you said earlier you didn't know if we offered them a contract and I assume if you do know, you don't know how much.

So do you know they were offered a contract? Or do you assume they have?


If we hadn't offered them a deal they would have been released as free agents, or that's how I understand it.

So even without any other knowledge I'd say yes they were. But if it helps, then yes they were, I know this to be the case.

What I don't know is the deals, that's private, and it could well have been peanuts as people love to say, but I'd suggest had it been you or I we would probably have gone for it.
Next

REPLY

Subject: 
Message:
   
Please note using apple style emoji's can result in posting failures.
Use the FULL EDITOR to better format content or upload images, be notified of replies etc...

Return to Wakefield Trinity

cron