RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
23 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!
WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - The World Cup
The World Cup Thu Sep 15, 2022 12:03 am  
The World Cup
Thu Sep 15, 2022 12:03 am  
giddyupoldfella User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Joined: Mon Sep 14, 2009 6:44 pm
Posts: 1180
Location: on route to old trafford via wembley
Member for 13 years
Just a month away now until we kick off the World Cup against Samoa.

A couple more fixtures to get through where hopefully we pick up no more injuries.

Who makes the squad for you? How does your starting line-up look for that opening game?

Which players from the Nrl will be coming in? Will Jackson Hastings be chosen? Victor Radley sounds certain to be in. Of the ones that have been in before, Josh Hodgson has been out all season so he's likely out. Oliver Gildart hasn't had the best of seasons so he only has an outside chance. Tom Burgess and Elliott Whitehead are certain to go. Ryan Sutton and Herbie Farnworth are strongly tipped but by no means certain. What about Dominic Young's chances? Still a novice of the game but a raw talent.

What about the old guys that were there in the 2017 World Cup like Ryan Hall, Kallum Watkins and Chris Hill, do we need their experience in the squad?

Does young Jack Welsby make your starting team?
Re: The World Cup Thu Sep 15, 2022 10:39 am  
Re: The World Cup
Thu Sep 15, 2022 10:39 am  

User avatarSteve0 wrote:
Steve0 User avatar
Cheeky half-back


Joined: Fri Jan 03, 2003 6:33 pm
Posts: 850
Location: Leeds
Member for 20 years
I'd like to see Andy Ackers and maybe even Sneyd in the squad, Wane seems to favour the Wigan or ex Wigan players though. I worry if we have Micky Mac at 9, his short temper may get the better of him and cost us. Also I think Tomkins hasn't had the best of seasons and shouldn't be in the squad either.
Re: The World Cup Thu Sep 15, 2022 11:43 am  
Re: The World Cup
Thu Sep 15, 2022 11:43 am  

User avatarjools wrote:
jools User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:02 pm
Posts: 10361
Member for 11 years
young should definitely be in the squad - hes a better pick than hall that's for sure. He's got the athleticism needed and the skill and been holding his own against the best in the nrl this season so why not! Ackers is a good shout.
the future's bright the future's claret and gold
Re: The World Cup Thu Sep 15, 2022 1:10 pm  
Re: The World Cup
Thu Sep 15, 2022 1:10 pm  

User avatarSteve0 wrote:
Steve0 User avatar
Cheeky half-back


Joined: Fri Jan 03, 2003 6:33 pm
Posts: 850
Location: Leeds
Member for 20 years
It'd be interesting to know how ticket sales are going, I see adverts on social media about tickets being limited / selling out and on the world cup ticketing website lots of games say low availability, but then you have a look at tickets and they're still available in most price categories and blocks of the ground.
Re: The World Cup Thu Sep 15, 2022 2:12 pm  
Re: The World Cup
Thu Sep 15, 2022 2:12 pm  
giddyupoldfella User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Joined: Mon Sep 14, 2009 6:44 pm
Posts: 1180
Location: on route to old trafford via wembley
Member for 13 years
Steve0 wrote:
I'd like to see Andy Ackers and maybe even Sneyd in the squad, Wane seems to favour the Wigan or ex Wigan players though. I worry if we have Micky Mac at 9, his short temper may get the better of him and cost us. Also I think Tomkins hasn't had the best of seasons and shouldn't be in the squad either.
The problem with picking Sneyd is that the team will spend at least half of the game without the ball and defending and he's fairly weak in that area. He's not tough enough for that level of rugby in my opinion.
Re: The World Cup Fri Sep 16, 2022 6:52 am  
Re: The World Cup
Fri Sep 16, 2022 6:52 am  

Jason65 wrote:
Jason65 Cheeky half-back
Cheeky half-back

Joined: Fri Aug 14, 2020 4:38 pm
Posts: 602
Member for 2 years
Ackers is a good shout as is Watkins.
Wane will pick a team he thinks will win so it wont be Wigan centric.
I think Marshall should be in the squad.
I wouldnt have Hastings in the team.
Re: The World Cup Fri Sep 16, 2022 4:55 pm  
Re: The World Cup
Fri Sep 16, 2022 4:55 pm  

User avatarUllFC wrote:
UllFC User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Joined: Sat Mar 27, 2004 1:41 pm
Posts: 15983
Member for 19 years
Steve0 wrote:
It'd be interesting to know how ticket sales are going, I see adverts on social media about tickets being limited / selling out and on the world cup ticketing website lots of games say low availability, but then you have a look at tickets and they're still available in most price categories and blocks of the ground.


They don't seem to be doing badly for the big games like the opener, the England games and final. Games at Headingley also doing well. But sadly games outside the heartlands like Middlesbrough, Coventry and Donny are looking a bit sparse. The media will start running some stories soon though.

The high ticket prices are getting much criticism, but the organisers are adamant they won't reduce. Can see both sides here as in 2013 it became a bit of a farce with the promo codes, there were so many that you actually had to sit and type different ones in just to see the biggest discount you can get.
Re: The World Cup Fri Sep 16, 2022 11:08 pm  
Re: The World Cup
Fri Sep 16, 2022 11:08 pm  

User avatarSteve0 wrote:
Steve0 User avatar
Cheeky half-back


Joined: Fri Jan 03, 2003 6:33 pm
Posts: 850
Location: Leeds
Member for 20 years
UllFC wrote:
They don't seem to be doing badly for the big games like the opener, the England games and final. Games at Headingley also doing well. But sadly games outside the heartlands like Middlesbrough, Coventry and Donny are looking a bit sparse. The media will start running some stories soon though.

The high ticket prices are getting much criticism, but the organisers are adamant they won't reduce. Can see both sides here as in 2013 it became a bit of a farce with the promo codes, there were so many that you actually had to sit and type different ones in just to see the biggest discount you can get.


Past ticketing strategies have really messed up big events in rugby league. Now fans expect things on the cheap when really, a world cup is a premium event and should have higher prices than a super League game.
Re: The World Cup Sat Sep 17, 2022 3:20 pm  
Re: The World Cup
Sat Sep 17, 2022 3:20 pm  

User avatarThetalentboy wrote:
Thetalentboy User avatar
Bronze RLFANS Member


Joined: Sun Feb 23, 2003 10:06 pm
Posts: 4782
Location: Hull
Member for 20 years
I've probably missed some players from aus who can play but

1. Tomkins
2. Makinson
3. Percival
4. Wardle
5. Marshall
6. Welsby
7. Lomax
8. Walmsley
9. Roby? If not Clark
10. Thompson
11. Whitehead
12. Knowles
13. Radley

14. Clark/mcshane
15. Burgess
16. Lees
17. Farrell/Batchelor
Re: The World Cup Sat Sep 17, 2022 3:24 pm  
Re: The World Cup
Sat Sep 17, 2022 3:24 pm  

User avatarThetalentboy wrote:
Thetalentboy User avatar
Bronze RLFANS Member


Joined: Sun Feb 23, 2003 10:06 pm
Posts: 4782
Location: Hull
Member for 20 years
giddyupoldfella wrote:
Just a month away now until we kick off the World Cup against Samoa.

A couple more fixtures to get through where hopefully we pick up no more injuries.

Who makes the squad for you? How does your starting line-up look for that opening game?

Which players from the Nrl will be coming in? Will Jackson Hastings be chosen? Victor Radley sounds certain to be in. Of the ones that have been in before, Josh Hodgson has been out all season so he's likely out. Oliver Gildart hasn't had the best of seasons so he only has an outside chance. Tom Burgess and Elliott Whitehead are certain to go. Ryan Sutton and Herbie Farnworth are strongly tipped but by no means certain. What about Dominic Young's chances? Still a novice of the game but a raw talent.

What about the old guys that were there in the 2017 World Cup like Ryan Hall, Kallum Watkins and Chris Hill, do we need their experience in the squad?

Does young Jack Welsby make your starting team?

Sutton deffo isn't better than the likes of walmsley/Thompson/Lees

Is young better than makinson or Marshall? Never seen him play

Just cause players play nrl doesn't make them a world beater look at jack Reed he was pretty average
Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Jack Burton, plato-the-whistle, reffy, TheWarringtonWolve69, Trainman and 133 guests

REPLY

Subject: 
Message:
   
Please note using apple style emoji's can result in posting failures.
Use the FULL EDITOR to better format content or upload images, be notified of replies etc...

Return to The Virtual Terrace


RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POST
TOPIC
POSTER
POSTS
8m
This Sintellins team
Judder Man
392
21m
IMG Recommendations for British RL
batleyrhino
48
22m
Surprising players
vastman
5
30m
TV games not Wire
Dita's Slot
550
34m
Full circle
FIL
36
42m
Wigan v Sts discussion - THIS THREAD ONLY PLEASE
apollosghost
617
44m
2023 Squad
RagingBull
4
50m
Game - Song Titles 20212
Boss Hog
15110
54m
BORED The Band Name Game
Cokey
32061
FORUM
LAST
VIEW
TOPIC
POSTER
POSTS
34s
Back to licensing
Faxlore
12
38s
Play Off Final Swinton v Dons 02/10/2022 2pm
Double Movem
9
40s
Transfer Talk / Rumour thread V4
Once were Lo
1627
43s
2023 Staffing
D4mo78
32
45s
This Sintellins team
Judder Man
392
52s
SL GF St Helens Old Trafford
tad rhino
697
1m
How long in 2023 does Powell have
Wolf Hall
190
1m
Rumours and signings v9
Cruncher
24366
1m
Play off final - Leigh v Batley
WYSIWYG2
30
1m
Halifax panthers super league wheelchair champions
Hudd-Shay
3
FORUM
NEW
TOPICS
TOPIC
POSTER
POSTS
TODAY
News from Africa
tb
1
TODAY
Surprising players
vastman
5
TODAY
2022 NRL Grand Final Panthers v Eels Contains Spoilers
puroresu_boy
2
TODAY
Why has the disappointing players been locked
PopTart
8
TODAY
Disappointing players
Willzay
14
TODAY
England knights v France live now on YouTube
Trojan Horse
2
TODAY
Halifax panthers super league wheelchair champions
Hudd-Shay
3
TODAY
Wheelchair rugby
wakeytrin
1
TODAY
IMG Proposals Rover Analysed
Mild Rover
1
Random Topics selected.
POSTSONLINEMEMBERSRECORD
19.38Million 1,386 ↓-1679,2499,323
LOGIN HERE
or REGISTER for more features!.

When you register you get access to the live match scores, live match chat and you can post in the discussions on the forums.
RLFANS Match Centre

TABLES:
 TODAY
     National Rugby League 2022-R29
 FT
Hover 
Penrith
28-12
Parramatta
       League One 2022-R26

L
I
V
E

 
14:00
Swinton
0-4
Doncaster
Tali Try, Not Converted
       Championship 2022-R30
18:30
Leigh
v
Batley
ALL SCORES PROVIDED BY RLFANS.COM (SETTINGS)
Matches on TV
Sun 2nd Oct
NRL
LIVE

09:30
Penrith28-12Parramatta
L1
LIVE

14:00
Swinton0-4Doncaster
CH RND: 30
18:30
Leigh-Batley
Sat 15th Oct
WC2022 RND: 1
14:30
England-Samoa
WC2022 RND: 1
19:30
Australia-Fiji
Sun 16th Oct
WC2022 RND: 1
17:00
Jamaica-Ireland
WC2022 RND: 1
19:30
New Zealand-Lebanon
WC2022 RND: 1
14:30
Scotland-Italy
Mon 17th Oct
WC2022 RND: 1
19:30
France-Greece
Tue 18th Oct
WC2022 RND: 1
19:30
Tonga-Papua NG
Wed 19th Oct
WC2022 RND: 1
19:30
WALES-Cook Islands
Fri 21st Oct
WC2022 RND: 2
19:30
Australia-Scotland
Sat 22nd Oct
WC2022 RND: 2
14:30
Fiji-Italy
WC2022 RND: 2
17:00
England-France
WC2022 RND: 2
19:30
New Zealand-Jamaica
Sun 23rd Oct
WC2022 RND: 2
14:30
Lebanon-Ireland
WC2022 RND: 2
17:00
France-Greece
Mon 24th Oct
WC2022 RND: 2
19:30
Tonga-WALES
Tue 25th Oct
WC2022 RND: 2
19:30
Papua NG-Cook Islands
Fri 28th Oct
WC2022 RND: 3
19:30
New Zealand-Ireland
Sun 2nd Oct
NRL
LIVE
Penrith28-12Parramatta
L1
LIVE
Swinton0-4Doncaster
Sun 25th Sep
L1 RND: 25 Doncaster52-20Rochdale
CH RND: 29 Leigh70-10York
CH RND: 29 Featherstone28-32Batley
Sat 24th Sep
NRL RND: 28 Penrith32-12Souths
SL RND: 30 Leeds12-24St.Helens
Fri 23rd Sep
NRL RND: 28 NQL Cowboys20-24Parramatta
This is an inplay table and positions can change as matches are in play.
Betfred Championship 2022 ROUND : 27
 PLDFADIFFPTS
Leigh 27 1306 208 1098 52
Featherstone 27 1058 468 590 47
Halifax 27 837 440 397 40
Barrow 27 759 587 172 37
Batley 27 738 551 187 36
York 27 677 596 81 36
 
Sheffield 27 699 660 39 24
Widnes 27 567 679 -112 24
Bradford 27 521 675 -154 22
Whitehaven 27 488 854 -366 19
LondonB 27 548 740 -192 17
Newcastle 27 559 877 -318 15
Dewsbury 27 385 964 -579 7
Workington 27 296 1139 -843 2
This is an inplay table and positions can change as matches are in play.
Betfred League One 2022 ROUND : 20
 PLDFADIFFPTS
Keighley 18 843 154 689 36
Crusaders 18 668 332 336 30
Swinton 18 737 281 456 28
Doncaster 18 618 392 226 26
Rochdale 18 646 451 195 24
Hunslet 18 475 462 13 17
 
Oldham 18 535 473 62 15
Midlands 18 458 632 -174 10
LondonS 18 362 705 -343 10
Cornwall 19 274 782 -508 2
West Wales 19 154 1106 -952 2
This is an inplay table and positions can change as matches are in play.
Betfred Super League XXVII ROUND : 27
 PLDFADIFFPTS
St.Helens 27 674 374 300 42
Wigan 27 818 483 335 38
Huddersfield 27 613 497 116 35
Catalans 27 539 513 26 32
Leeds 27 577 528 49 29
Salford 27 700 602 98 28
 
Castleford 27 544 620 -76 26
Hull KR 27 498 608 -110 24
Hull FC 27 508 675 -167 22
Wakefield 27 497 648 -151 20
Warrington 27 568 664 -96 18
Toulouse 27 421 745 -324 10
This is an inplay table and positions can change as matches are in play.
National Rugby League 2022 ROUND : 24
 PLDFADIFFPTS
Penrith 23 628 353 275 38
Cronulla 23 535 348 187 34
Melbourne 23 704 388 316 32
NQL Cowboys 23 595 353 242 32
Parramatta 23 586 475 111 30
Sydney 23 611 416 195 28
Souths 23 588 448 140 28
Canberra 23 468 451 17 26
 
Brisbane 23 502 528 -26 26
St.George 23 445 559 -114 22
Manly 23 470 574 -104 18
Canterbury 23 362 555 -193 12
Newcastle 23 356 624 -268 12
NZ Warriors 23 382 673 -291 12
Gold Coast 23 428 634 -206 10
Wests 23 342 623 -281 8
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POST
TOPIC
POSTER
POSTS
8m
This Sintellins team
Judder Man
392
21m
IMG Recommendations for British RL
batleyrhino
48
22m
Surprising players
vastman
5
30m
TV games not Wire
Dita's Slot
550
34m
Full circle
FIL
36
42m
Wigan v Sts discussion - THIS THREAD ONLY PLEASE
apollosghost
617
44m
2023 Squad
RagingBull
4
50m
Game - Song Titles 20212
Boss Hog
15110
54m
BORED The Band Name Game
Cokey
32061
FORUM
LAST
VIEW
TOPIC
POSTER
POSTS
34s
Back to licensing
Faxlore
12
38s
Play Off Final Swinton v Dons 02/10/2022 2pm
Double Movem
9
40s
Transfer Talk / Rumour thread V4
Once were Lo
1627
43s
2023 Staffing
D4mo78
32
45s
This Sintellins team
Judder Man
392
52s
SL GF St Helens Old Trafford
tad rhino
697
1m
How long in 2023 does Powell have
Wolf Hall
190
1m
Rumours and signings v9
Cruncher
24366
1m
Play off final - Leigh v Batley
WYSIWYG2
30
1m
Halifax panthers super league wheelchair champions
Hudd-Shay
3
FORUM
NEW
TOPICS
TOPIC
POSTER
POSTS
TODAY
News from Africa
tb
1
TODAY
Surprising players
vastman
5
TODAY
2022 NRL Grand Final Panthers v Eels Contains Spoilers
puroresu_boy
2
TODAY
Why has the disappointing players been locked
PopTart
8
TODAY
Disappointing players
Willzay
14
TODAY
England knights v France live now on YouTube
Trojan Horse
2
TODAY
Halifax panthers super league wheelchair champions
Hudd-Shay
3
TODAY
Wheelchair rugby
wakeytrin
1
TODAY
IMG Proposals Rover Analysed
Mild Rover
1
Random Topics selected.


Visit the RLFANS.COM SHOP
for more merchandise!