RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
23 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!
WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Stadium and other issues
vastman Member for 18 years
Gold RLFANS Member
User avatar


Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 5:37 pm
Posts: 35287
Location: Poodle Power!
Stadium and other issues : Fri Sep 23, 2022 8:06 am  
Ok, I'm still trying to digest what was discussed last night, far wider than I expected. So what I'm going to do is drip feed stuff through as things get confirmed or become more relevant. Please keep an eye on this thread because it won't just be about the stadium, but also potential investors, ways to invest, ways to help if you so wish.

So I'll kick it off with the North stand. Part of the scaling back of the North stand was a cost saving, however it needs pointing out that there were other reasons for changing, not just the plan but also the method. In the past few years (since the original plans) the terrace has degraded faster than expected. Hence the original method considered was proving less viable. No need to go into too much detail, but rather than replacing the terrace we are now building over it. Below is an image taken yesterday that shows way better than I can explain just how bad the terrace has become. I was shocked as you don't really notice it on match day.

This form of over terracing can be taken further towards the back of the stand as required but for now the club deems the expected new capacity of the North stand more than adequate.

PLEASE PLEASE NOTE, there will be nothing about players so if you don't mind please refrain, there are plenty of other threads for that.

Image
SUPPORT SWAG...
This post contains an image, if you are the copyright owner and would like this image removed then please contact support@rlfans.com

Joined: Wed Sep 16, 2009 4:56 pm
Posts: 2033
Re: Stadium and other issues : Fri Sep 23, 2022 8:17 am  
I stood in the North Stand for the first time in nearly 15 years against Hull KR and was shocked at how poor it really was. I walked past the bit you've highlighted and couldn't believe it was allowed in this day and age.
BackSeatCoach Member for 3 years



Joined: Wed Jul 31, 2019 3:31 pm
Posts: 74
Re: Stadium and other issues : Fri Sep 23, 2022 8:22 am  
vastman wrote:
Ok, I'm still trying to digest what was discussed last night, far wider than I expected. So what I'm going to do is drip feed stuff through as things get confirmed or become more relevant. Please keep an eye on this thread because it won't just be about the stadium, but also potential investors, ways to invest, ways to help if you so wish.

So I'll kick it off with the North stand. Part of the scaling back of the North stand was a cost saving, however it needs pointing out that there were other reasons for changing, not just the plan but also the method. In the past few years (since the original plans) the terrace has degraded faster than expected. Hence the original method considered was proving less viable. No need to go into too much detail, but rather than replacing the terrace we are now building over it. Below is an image taken yesterday that shows way better than I can explain just how bad the terrace has become. I was shocked as you don't really notice it on match day.

This form of over terracing can be taken further towards the back of the stand as required but for now the club deems the expected new capacity of the North stand more than adequate.

PLEASE PLEASE NOTE, there will be nothing about players so if you don't mind please refrain, there are plenty of other threads for that.

Image


That change in level has been there since I can remember (1978 onwards), and it used to have those old tubular barriers against it, as well as some of that bent steel fence that still survives around some of the pitch. I used to notice it when wandering around the old program shed that used to sit there next to the old scoreboard. I don’t believe it is a new thing or is getting worse.

Sounds like a pretext to me.
This post contains an image, if you are the copyright owner and would like this image removed then please contact support@rlfans.com
vastman Member for 18 years
Gold RLFANS Member
User avatar


Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 5:37 pm
Posts: 35287
Location: Poodle Power!
Re: Stadium and other issues : Fri Sep 23, 2022 8:22 am  
imwakefieldtillidie wrote:
I stood in the North Stand for the first time in nearly 15 years against Hull KR and was shocked at how poor it really was. I walked past the bit you've highlighted and couldn't believe it was allowed in this day and age.


Technically it isn't, that's part of the problem. We simply had to replace it, it wasn't a choice it was an order. It would have been closed for next year or at best reduced to a few hundred.

In a way it's as vital as the East stand in a different way.

As stated before, although the West terrace looks a bit of a mess, structurally its totally sound and requires no work to get a safety certificate.
SUPPORT SWAG...
MOPSEY LIVES ON Member for 15 years
Bronze RLFANS Member


Joined: Wed Aug 01, 2007 2:36 pm
Posts: 3816
Location: IN A FIELD LOOKING AT THE STARS
Re: Stadium and other issues : Fri Sep 23, 2022 8:27 am  
vastman wrote:
Ok, I'm still trying to digest what was discussed last night, far wider than I expected. So what I'm going to do is drip feed stuff through as things get confirmed or become more relevant. Please keep an eye on this thread because it won't just be about the stadium, but also potential investors, ways to invest, ways to help if you so wish.

So I'll kick it off with the North stand. Part of the scaling back of the North stand was a cost saving, however it needs pointing out that there were other reasons for changing, not just the plan but also the method. In the past few years (since the original plans) the terrace has degraded faster than expected. Hence the original method considered was proving less viable. No need to go into too much detail, but rather than replacing the terrace we are now building over it. Below is an image taken yesterday that shows way better than I can explain just how bad the terrace has become. I was shocked as you don't really notice it on match day.

This form of over terracing can be taken further towards the back of the stand as required but for now the club deems the expected new capacity of the North stand more than adequate.

PLEASE PLEASE NOTE, there will be nothing about players so if you don't mind please refrain, there are plenty of other threads for that.

Image

How much of a shortfall in money Is there from the original plans to the new ones and is every penny which we have been given getting spent or is some getting held back
WAKEFIELD FANS ARE BORN, NOT MANUFACTURED.WE DO NOT CHOOSE, WE ARE CHOSEN. THOSE WHO UNDERSTAND NEED NO EXPLANATION. THOSE WHO DONT, DONT MATTER.

I AM THE SEEKER OF TRUTH AND
JUSTICE
This post contains an image, if you are the copyright owner and would like this image removed then please contact support@rlfans.com
vastman Member for 18 years
Gold RLFANS Member
User avatar


Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 5:37 pm
Posts: 35287
Location: Poodle Power!
Re: Stadium and other issues : Fri Sep 23, 2022 8:28 am  
BackSeatCoach wrote:
That change in level has been there since I can remember (1978 onwards), and it used to have those old tubular barriers against it, as well as some of that bent steel fence that still survives around some of the pitch. I used to notice it when wandering around the old program shed that used to sit there next to the old scoreboard. I don’t believe it is a new thing or is getting worse.

Sounds like a pretext to me.


Wow that didn't take long.

S you know better than the council surveyors do you, unbelievable comment. Bore holes were sunk a few weeks ago and a scan was done, It's not just the shape which incidentally is worse it's whats happening underneath, but you being an expert you'd know that, incredible just incredible.

Tell you what you get on to the Council and you tell them they are wrong and shouldn't shut the terrace, tell them it's a pretext :roll:

I honestly don't know why we have directors or engineers or safety officers when all we need to do is consult you.
Last edited by vastman on Fri Sep 23, 2022 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
SUPPORT SWAG...
vastman Member for 18 years
Gold RLFANS Member
User avatar


Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 5:37 pm
Posts: 35287
Location: Poodle Power!
Re: Stadium and other issues : Fri Sep 23, 2022 8:33 am  
MOPSEY LIVES ON wrote:
How much of a shortfall in money Is there from the original plans to the new ones and is every penny which we have been given getting spent or is some getting held back


Don't think I'm talking out of turn here. The original plan was to hold a bit back. Not for players but purely to upgrade other parts of the ground. That's totally out of the window. For the past two months we have been chipping away at the plans just to keep them within budget. I actually got the impression that the directors had begged and borrowed a bit more to make up the difference, that's how bad it is. Prices of both labour and especially materials have gone through the roof.

For example steal price have virtually doubled, but the scrap price has fallen, yet the demolitions cost have risen- you can't win.

Nothing and I mean nothing has reduced in cost.
SUPPORT SWAG...
Dunkirk Spirit Member for 4 years
Free-scoring winger
User avatar


Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:43 am
Posts: 2179
Location: Horbury, a small town in Wakefield
Re: Stadium and other issues : Fri Sep 23, 2022 9:21 am  
vastman wrote:
Don't think I'm talking out of turn here. The original plan was to hold a bit back. Not for players but purely to upgrade other parts of the ground. That's totally out of the window. For the past two :D months we have been chipping away at the plans just to keep them within budget. I actually got the impression that the directors had begged and borrowed a bit more to make up the difference, that's how bad it is. Prices of both labour and especially materials have gone through the roof.

For example steal price have virtually doubled, but the scrap price has fallen, yet the demolitions cost have risen- you can't win.

Nothing and I mean nothing has reduced in cost.

I know you’re not everyone’s cup of tea on here Vasty, but thanks for the information now and hopefully future re ground updates. I think everyone on here is keen for regular updates, and if it’s not from the club (disappointedly) then I suppose from you we have the next best thing. :D
Spookisback Member for 1 year
Cheeky half-back


Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2022 1:02 am
Posts: 512
Re: Stadium and other issues : Fri Sep 23, 2022 9:32 am  
Double post
Last edited by Spookisback on Fri Sep 23, 2022 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Spookisback Member for 1 year
Cheeky half-back


Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2022 1:02 am
Posts: 512
Re: Stadium and other issues : Fri Sep 23, 2022 9:32 am  
vastman wrote:
Wow that didn't take long.

S you know better than the council surveyors do you, unbelievable comment. Bore holes were sunk a few weeks ago and a scan was done, It's not just the shape which incidentally is worse it's whats happening underneath, but you being an expert you'd know that, incredible just incredible.

Tell you what you get on to the Council and you tell them they are wrong and shouldn't shut the terrace, tell them it's a pretext :roll:

I honestly don't know why we have directors or engineers or safety officers when all we need to do is consult you.


I would assume that the work done to take into account the levels on the north terrace (I too remember the area which had loop topped fencing separating the levels) was either short term or sub standard… that said…I’m not at all surprised at the deterioration of the sub structure… hopefully the new structure is a long term solution…
Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: 1873, caslad75, cocker, Eastern Wildcat, imwakefieldtillidie, lifelongfan, PopTart, Roverman1, Spookisback, TrinityDave, Willzay and 226 guests

REPLY

Subject: 
Message:
   
Please note using apple style emoji's can result in posting failures.
Use the FULL EDITOR to better format content or upload images, be notified of replies etc...

Return to Wakefield Trinity


RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POST
TOPIC
POSTER
POSTS
2m
What we currently look like for 2023
Spookisback
916
27m
Shaw and Croft
PopTart
42
37m
2023 Squad Numbers
Once were Lo
28
FORUM
LAST
VIEW
TOPIC
POSTER
POSTS
36s
Shares for sale in Trinity
PopTart
73
40s
Rumours and signings v9
Simba16
24919
42s
Pre season
mwindass
130
55s
Shaw and Croft
PopTart
42
1m
2023 Squad Numbers
Once were Lo
28
1m
Shopping List 2023
HU8HFC
3393
1m
Squad numbers
REDWHITEANDB
81
1m
Renouf Atoni
Eastern Wild
105
1m
Wednesday 7th December EGM Ian Watson
H.G.S.A
1
2m
Transfer talk
Peter Goddar
706
FORUM
NEW
TOPICS
TOPIC
POSTER
POSTS
TODAY
Wednesday 7th December EGM Ian Watson
H.G.S.A
1
TODAY
Shaw and Croft
PopTart
42
TODAY
Read this in the latest issue of League Express
glee
1
TODAY
Langi
Eastern Wild
62
TODAY
Football World Cup
SouthStander
2
TODAY
Oh no not again
gardener
5
TODAY
Contibutors
BackSeatCoac
5
TODAY
Read this in League Express
glee
1
TODAY
Jotform
Dunkirk Spir
2
TODAY
Introducing myself
Trinity info
4
NEWS ITEMS
VIEWS
Australia World Champions Agai..
6203
Jillaroos Demolish the Ferns t..
2058
England Beat France in Nail-bi..
3097
New Zealand Ferns Final Bound ..
1866
Australia Power Into Womens Fi..
1972
Samoa Into the Final As Englis..
2035
Australia Squeeze Into The Fin..
4790
Jilleroos Scrape Home Against ..
2281
Cook Islands Sign Off With Vic..
2878
England 19-man squad for RLWC ..
2765
St Helens to face Penrith Pant..
2713
England Top Group A With Big W..
2417
Canada End World Cup With Tigh..
2742
Record Breaking Masterclass fr..
3444
Ferns Win As Cooks Score First..
2754
POSTSONLINEMEMBERSRECORD
19.4Million 1,491 ↓-1679,3199,323
LOGIN HERE
or REGISTER for more features!.

When you register you get access to the live match scores, live match chat and you can post in the discussions on the forums.
RLFANS Match Centre
 Fri 17th Feb 2023
     Mens Super League XXVIII-R1
19:30
Wakefield
v
Catalans
 Fri 24th Feb 2023
     Mens Super League XXVIII-R2
20:00
Wigan
v
Wakefield
 Fri 3rd Mar 2023
     Mens Super League XXVIII-R3
19:45
Wakefield
v
Huddersfield
 Fri 10th Mar 2023
     Mens Super League XXVIII-R4
20:00
Leeds
v
Wakefield
ALL SCORES PROVIDED BY RLFANS.COM (SETTINGS)
Matches on TV
Thu 16th Feb
SL-M
20:00
Warrington-Leeds
Fri 17th Feb
SL-M
20:00
Leigh-Salford
Sat 18th Feb
SL-M
13:00
Hull KR-Wigan
WCC2023
07:00
Penrith-St.Helens
Thu 23rd Feb
SL-M
20:00
Salford-Hull KR
Fri 24th Feb
SL-M
20:00
Leeds-Hull FC
Sun 26th Feb
SL-M
13:00
Castleford-St.Helens
Thu 2nd Mar
SL-M
20:00
Warrington-Salford
Fri 3rd Mar
SL-M
20:00
St.Helens-Leeds
Thu 9th Mar
SL-M
20:00
Wigan-Catalans
Fri 10th Mar
SL-M
20:00
Huddersfield-Castleford
This is an inplay table and live positions can change.
Mens Betfred Super League XXVIII ROUND : 1
 PLDFADIFFPTS
Wakefield 0 0 0 0 0
Leeds 0 0 0 0 0
Hull KR 0 0 0 0 0
Warrington 0 0 0 0 0
Salford 0 0 0 0 0
Wigan 0 0 0 0 0
 
Hull FC 0 0 0 0 0
Catalans 0 0 0 0 0
Huddersfield 0 0 0 0 0
Leigh 0 0 0 0 0
St.Helens 0 0 0 0 0
Castleford 0 0 0 0 0
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POST
TOPIC
POSTER
POSTS
2m
What we currently look like for 2023
Spookisback
916
27m
Shaw and Croft
PopTart
42
37m
2023 Squad Numbers
Once were Lo
28
FORUM
LAST
VIEW
TOPIC
POSTER
POSTS
36s
Shares for sale in Trinity
PopTart
73
40s
Rumours and signings v9
Simba16
24919
42s
Pre season
mwindass
130
55s
Shaw and Croft
PopTart
42
1m
2023 Squad Numbers
Once were Lo
28
1m
Shopping List 2023
HU8HFC
3393
1m
Squad numbers
REDWHITEANDB
81
1m
Renouf Atoni
Eastern Wild
105
1m
Wednesday 7th December EGM Ian Watson
H.G.S.A
1
2m
Transfer talk
Peter Goddar
706
FORUM
NEW
TOPICS
TOPIC
POSTER
POSTS
TODAY
Wednesday 7th December EGM Ian Watson
H.G.S.A
1
TODAY
Shaw and Croft
PopTart
42
TODAY
Read this in the latest issue of League Express
glee
1
TODAY
Langi
Eastern Wild
62
TODAY
Football World Cup
SouthStander
2
TODAY
Oh no not again
gardener
5
TODAY
Contibutors
BackSeatCoac
5
TODAY
Read this in League Express
glee
1
TODAY
Jotform
Dunkirk Spir
2
TODAY
Introducing myself
Trinity info
4
NEWS ITEMS
VIEWS
Australia World Champions Agai..
6203
Jillaroos Demolish the Ferns t..
2058
England Beat France in Nail-bi..
3097
New Zealand Ferns Final Bound ..
1866
Australia Power Into Womens Fi..
1972
Samoa Into the Final As Englis..
2035
Australia Squeeze Into The Fin..
4790
Jilleroos Scrape Home Against ..
2281
Cook Islands Sign Off With Vic..
2878
England 19-man squad for RLWC ..
2765
St Helens to face Penrith Pant..
2713
England Top Group A With Big W..
2417
Canada End World Cup With Tigh..
2742
Record Breaking Masterclass fr..
3444
Ferns Win As Cooks Score First..
2754


Visit the RLFANS.COM SHOP
for more merchandise!