Re: Shopping List 2023 Thu Sep 22, 2022 2:47 pm  
Re: Shopping List 2023
Thu Sep 22, 2022 2:47 pm  

User avatarpmarrow wrote:
pmarrow User avatar
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Member for 16 years

Its a no brainer, we currentley dont have a 7 and the 6 we have signed will miss the first quarter of the season. Which is going to be crucial for the club.

The balance of the squad is way out for me, if you were to class Wynne as a full back we would have 5 in the squad currentley, along with four hookers.

Cant believe people arent nervous over the fact we have no real 7. Connor, Trueman or Hoy are not 7s.
Twitter : @TheResidentPete
Re: Shopping List 2023 Thu Sep 22, 2022 2:57 pm  
Thu Sep 22, 2022 2:57 pm  

User avatarChris71 wrote:
Chris71 User avatar
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Member for 19 years
pmarrow wrote:
Its a no brainer, we currentley dont have a 7 and the 6 we have signed will miss the first quarter of the season. Which is going to be crucial for the club.

The balance of the squad is way out for me, if you were to class Wynne as a full back we would have 5 in the squad currentley, along with four hookers.

Cant believe people arent nervous over the fact we have no real 7. Connor, Trueman or Hoy are not 7s.

Think most are concerned at that as well as having only having Lane and Savelio as our main and only real 2nd rowers.

As you say the balance of the squad is terrible and also add to the fact we have a spare quota spot but no cap space to fill it just shows how poor our recruitment has been and the mess we are left in.
I really enjoy long walks especially when they are taken by people I don't like!
Re: Shopping List 2023 Thu Sep 22, 2022 3:49 pm  
Thu Sep 22, 2022 3:49 pm  
Rocknrolla69er Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Member for 8 years
I think we'l either subsidise some early releases possibly Shaul, Griffin and Taylor and use whatever recouped and the available quota spot to sign a 7.

That or if we cant shift the above 3 then maybe we l have to cash in on Connor and use that for a 7.

Time will tell.
Re: Shopping List 2023 Thu Sep 22, 2022 4:54 pm  
Thu Sep 22, 2022 4:54 pm  

mwindass wrote:
mwindass Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Member for 14 years
Dave K. wrote:
So if Wire wanted Connor and we could swap them for Philbin and Longstaff. And then use the quota spot plus excess cap (plus Shauls money) to sign an NRL 7, would people do that.

Or would it be better to keep Connor for a year and probably lose him for free the year after?

As much as I'd like Smith to do what he did with Briers to Connor, if he is the one pushing for the release, we should let him go now and at least use him as leverage for another player.

If he goes though we need a 7 lined up otherwise we are stuffed
Re: Shopping List 2023 Thu Sep 22, 2022 5:18 pm  
Thu Sep 22, 2022 5:18 pm  
Riderofthepalehorse User avatar
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Member for 5 years
Dave K. wrote:
I don't think Lewis is that type of player, great runner and good short kicking game, but think Trueman is a better option at 7 than Lewis, think he has more control and passing in his game to play 7 than Lewis.

We will agree to disagree on this one Dave, Truey is a six all day long, Lewis is a rare breed a natural scrum half, brilliant attacking game, and dynamite round the scrum, kicking game has been seen numerous times in games, just a little weakness in his defence, but he’s quite young yet. But I believe he’s on a long contract anyhow, so probably not available.
Re: Shopping List 2023 Thu Sep 22, 2022 5:50 pm  
Thu Sep 22, 2022 5:50 pm  

bonaire wrote:
bonaire Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Member for 8 years
Dave K. wrote:
So if Wire wanted Connor and we could swap them for Philbin and Longstaff. And then use the quota spot plus excess cap (plus Shauls money) to sign an NRL 7, would people do that.

Or would it be better to keep Connor for a year and probably lose him for free the year after?

Dont know if we could do that but it makes perfect sense as a 7 is just as big an issue for the club as the lack of one or two big mobile second rows
Re: Shopping List 2023 Thu Sep 22, 2022 6:00 pm  
Thu Sep 22, 2022 6:00 pm  
Old Timer No 4 Strong-running second rower
Strong-running second rower

Member for 6 years
Riderofthepalehorse wrote:
We will agree to disagree on this one Dave, Truey is a six all day long, Lewis is a rare breed a natural scrum half, brilliant attacking game, and dynamite round the scrum, kicking game has been seen numerous times in games, just a little weakness in his defence, but he’s quite young yet. But I believe he’s on a long contract anyhow, so probably not available.

He is on a long contract He is not available. Look elsewhere.
Re: Shopping List 2023 Thu Sep 22, 2022 6:10 pm  
Thu Sep 22, 2022 6:10 pm  

User avatarMrs Barista wrote:
Mrs Barista User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Member for 17 years
Old Timer No 4 wrote:
[/i][/b]
He is on a long contract He is not available. Look elsewhere.

Don't fret. Off season + black & white = unfounded speculation..
Re: Shopping List 2023 Thu Sep 22, 2022 6:14 pm  
Thu Sep 22, 2022 6:14 pm  

mwindass wrote:
mwindass Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Member for 14 years
Mrs Barista wrote:
Don't fret. Off season + black & white = unfounded speculation..

Nailed on I heard :CURTAIN:
Re: Shopping List 2023 Fri Sep 23, 2022 1:03 am  
Fri Sep 23, 2022 1:03 am  

User avatarweaver93 wrote:
weaver93 User avatar
Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Member for 18 years
Dave K. wrote:

Not for me.....
To sign Philbin, we obviously would have to pay him a higher salary to commute or live in Hull., Longstaff, did a good job, but lacks physicality, might as well play Severs.
Regarding Shaul, he might not go, the new Wakefield coach, may have other ideas.
So, Philbin & Longstaff would reduce the marquee salary, and on the remaining balance on the cap, to entice a NRL 7, it would be difficult to sign any pivot who is decent,and more importantly.. who is available at this time of the year???
Signing 3 players, I don't think will cover 1 marquee salary
We are in the same situation, at the same time last year, with Sneyd...
IF Connor wants to go, get a fee, I know this is not palatable.. but re-sign Gale,for a season., then we can re-evaluate the situation,in June, when a better calibre of players are off contract.
PreviousNext