RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
23 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!
WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - World Cup
Re: World Cup Mon Oct 03, 2022 3:35 pm  
Re: World Cup
Mon Oct 03, 2022 3:35 pm  
Wollo-Wollo-Wollo-Wayoo User avatar
Silver RLFANS Member


Joined: Mon Aug 05, 2002 11:01 pm
Posts: 9352
Location: Standing on the heads of Giants
Member for 20 years
PopTart wrote:
Kyle Evans has made the Wales squad. Hope he plays.


With him and Hood (Scotland) at least there's some interest for Wakefield fans.
Tini too if he gets selected for Cook Islands.
Wales v Cook Islands at the LSV might see our two guys head to head.
This world was never meant for one as beautiful as me.

WTRLC 2012 to 2014 "The wasted years"

Magic Weekend "Whipping Boys" 2013, 2014 & 2015

2017 - The year the dream disappeared under Grix's right foot.

2018 - The FinniChezz Bromance

2019 - The return of the Prodigal Son.

2020 - Keeping the faith.
Re: World Cup Tue Oct 04, 2022 7:36 am  
Re: World Cup
Tue Oct 04, 2022 7:36 am  

User avatarPopTart wrote:
PopTart User avatar
100% League Network
100% League Network

Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:10 am
Posts: 16979
Location: wakefield
Member for 14 years
Wollo-Wollo-Wollo-Wayoo wrote:
With him and Hood (Scotland) at least there's some interest for Wakefield fans.
Tini too if he gets selected for Cook Islands.
Wales v Cook Islands at the LSV might see our two guys head to head.


Tini is in the Cook Island Squad yes.
A dog is not considered a good dog because he is a good barker. A man is not considered a good man because he is a good talker - Buddha
Re: World Cup Tue Oct 04, 2022 7:58 am  
Re: World Cup
Tue Oct 04, 2022 7:58 am  

User avatarBarnsleyGull wrote:
BarnsleyGull User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:19 am
Posts: 2333
Location: Behind the Sticks
Member for 4 years
PopTart wrote:
Tini is in the Cook Island Squad yes.


Course he is......... :)
We're all Trin aren't we?
Re: World Cup Tue Oct 04, 2022 10:14 am  
Re: World Cup
Tue Oct 04, 2022 10:14 am  

Wildcatnomore Stevo's Armpit

Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2022 2:36 pm
Posts: 59
Member for L 0 years
PopTart wrote:
The game has evolved. We have improved but so has the Aussie game. It isn't correct to say Summer rugby hasn't changed things.
You need to go back and watch some if the mud baths Hanley had to play in.
The very fact all the players you mention enjoyed good stints in Aus shows how they benefited from the harder ground.
Hanley and Offiah would have loved playing in summer.


In what way has it evolved? The players are fitter, faster & stronger but aren't as good as past players skill-wise. I've watched loads of Hanley and all the others' i've mentioned, live back then and on youtube mainly in lockdown, and the game hasn't progressed since the '90's as a spectacle. Offiah scored over 400 tries in the Winter game, and Hanley and the like had better skills BECUASE of having to play in poor conditions, because playing in adversity makes you concentrate harder and become better. I know it's an age old argument about Football, Cricket, Rugby, comparing past players, teams, and it makes for great debate. Just look at today's footballers, again, fitter, faster, stronger, i can't argue with that, but as skillful as say George Best?! Watch footage of him on paddyfields, and think could Salah, Haarland, Ronaldo do what they do on the pitches he had to play on?!
Re: World Cup Tue Oct 04, 2022 10:59 am  
Re: World Cup
Tue Oct 04, 2022 10:59 am  
Kirmudgeonlyisback Strong-running second rower
Strong-running second rower

Joined: Fri Feb 05, 2021 12:28 pm
Posts: 388
Member for 2 years
Wildcatnomore wrote:
In what way has it evolved? The players are fitter, faster & stronger but aren't as good as past players skill-wise. I've watched loads of Hanley and all the others' i've mentioned, live back then and on youtube mainly in lockdown, and the game hasn't progressed since the '90's as a spectacle. Offiah scored over 400 tries in the Winter game, and Hanley and the like had better skills BECUASE of having to play in poor conditions, because playing in adversity makes you concentrate harder and become better. I know it's an age old argument about Football, Cricket, Rugby, comparing past players, teams, and it makes for great debate. Just look at today's footballers, again, fitter, faster, stronger, i can't argue with that, but as skillful as say George Best?! Watch footage of him on paddyfields, and think could Salah, Haarland, Ronaldo do what they do on the pitches he had to play on?!
100 percent agree with this , we lack enough young British players, all our top teams are dominated by foreign imports , you’ve only to look at Leigh with 14 imports in their promotion squad. Skill qualities been replaced by regimentation, fitness and of course injuries. Think Danny Scunthorpe and Craig huby, current props are all biff and bosh - game was much more interesting in the days of Reilly handley etc
Re: World Cup Tue Oct 04, 2022 11:25 am  
Re: World Cup
Tue Oct 04, 2022 11:25 am  

User avatarwrencat1873 wrote:
wrencat1873 User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Joined: Sun Apr 24, 2011 7:28 pm
Posts: 17374
Member for 12 years
Kirmudgeonlyisback wrote:
100 percent agree with this , we lack enough young British players, all our top teams are dominated by foreign imports , you’ve only to look at Leigh with 14 imports in their promotion squad. Skill qualities been replaced by regimentation, fitness and of course injuries. Think Danny Scunthorpe and Craig huby, current props are all biff and bosh - game was much more interesting in the days of Reilly handley etc


The move from 6 yards to 10 metres for the defensive line, completely changed the game and created a more "power" based game.
However, the 10 metres does also give a little more space and when you see what field has done at Wigan, you can surely, enjoy that level of skill.

We do view the past through rose tinted glasses and what we have currently, for me, is an improvement as a spectacle (apart from the odd game).

Mind you, when you look at how few genuinely world class half backs we have produced over here in the last 40/50 years, that is when it gets scary and as you say, the quick fix is to import an "Aussie". The lack of decent creative players is probably one of the main reasons our national side has not beaten the Aussies (apart from the occasional one-off result).
Even when there are decent young halves, they dont get time to develop.
Re: World Cup Tue Oct 04, 2022 12:07 pm  
Re: World Cup
Tue Oct 04, 2022 12:07 pm  

User avatarPopTart wrote:
PopTart User avatar
100% League Network
100% League Network

Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:10 am
Posts: 16979
Location: wakefield
Member for 14 years
Wildcatnomore wrote:
In what way has it evolved? The players are fitter, faster & stronger but aren't as good as past players skill-wise. I've watched loads of Hanley and all the others' i've mentioned, live back then and on youtube mainly in lockdown, and the game hasn't progressed since the '90's as a spectacle. Offiah scored over 400 tries in the Winter game, and Hanley and the like had better skills BECUASE of having to play in poor conditions, because playing in adversity makes you concentrate harder and become better. I know it's an age old argument about Football, Cricket, Rugby, comparing past players, teams, and it makes for great debate. Just look at today's footballers, again, fitter, faster, stronger, i can't argue with that, but as skillful as say George Best?! Watch footage of him on paddyfields, and think could Salah, Haarland, Ronaldo do what they do on the pitches he had to play on?!


Hanley was great, one of the best ever.....but it wasn't because he played in the mud.

Definitely rose tinted view of the past.
Best was awesome, but I bet you'll find 50 players in Premier League as fast as him now.
Of course he played in an era of heavier ball and defenders that were allowed to physically attack you but watching Haaland, he would be great in any era.
It's just different. One doesn't have to be better.
A dog is not considered a good dog because he is a good barker. A man is not considered a good man because he is a good talker - Buddha
Re: World Cup Tue Oct 04, 2022 2:00 pm  
Re: World Cup
Tue Oct 04, 2022 2:00 pm  

Wildcatnomore Stevo's Armpit

Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2022 2:36 pm
Posts: 59
Member for L 0 years
PopTart wrote:
Hanley was great, one of the best ever.....but it wasn't because he played in the mud.

Definitely rose tinted view of the past.
Best was awesome, but I bet you'll find 50 players in Premier League as fast as him now.
Of course he played in an era of heavier ball and defenders that were allowed to physically attack you but watching Haaland, he would be great in any era.
It's just different. One doesn't have to be better.


I never said Best was fast?! I said what he did skill wise on poor pitches was great, and questioned whether modern players could do the same. My whole argument was, Summer rugby has not raised the standards on the field, i'm still waiting for your response as to how the game has evolved. The MOS was Brodie Croft, probably about 20th in line to represent Australia, like i've said, British players are still as far behind the Aussies, if not more so, than they've ever been. I actually take back what i said as re. players now being 'fitter' as they seem to spend more time injured than actually playing!! They never got injured in the '90's you know!!!!!!!!! :DANCE: Maybe IMG could do a scientific study as to why so many injured players, must be something to do with playing on hard grounds all the time........ :wink: :lol:
Re: World Cup Tue Oct 04, 2022 2:40 pm  
Re: World Cup
Tue Oct 04, 2022 2:40 pm  

User avatarPopTart wrote:
PopTart User avatar
100% League Network
100% League Network

Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:10 am
Posts: 16979
Location: wakefield
Member for 14 years
Wildcatnomore wrote:
I never said Best was fast?! I said what he did skill wise on poor pitches was great, and questioned whether modern players could do the same. My whole argument was, Summer rugby has not raised the standards on the field, i'm still waiting for your response as to how the game has evolved. The MOS was Brodie Croft, probably about 20th in line to represent Australia, like i've said, British players are still as far behind the Aussies, if not more so, than they've ever been. I actually take back what i said as re. players now being 'fitter' as they seem to spend more time injured than actually playing!! They never got injured in the '90's you know!!!!!!!!! :DANCE: Maybe IMG could do a scientific study as to why so many injured players, must be something to do with playing on hard grounds all the time........ :wink: :lol:


I'd like to discuss but the issue is too big to explain and I'm too busy to get into it when we are starting with 'explain how the game has evolved'.
I agree there were more personalities in those days and there were some very skillful players. Let's leave the rest for another day unless anyone else wants to explain.
A dog is not considered a good dog because he is a good barker. A man is not considered a good man because he is a good talker - Buddha
Previous

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: AMI, BackSeatCoach, Borderboy, cocker, cosmicat, dboy, homme vaste, jools, Khlav Kalash, lampyboy, LyndsayGill, musson, Pat Bateman, phe13, REDWHITEANDBLUE, Roverman1, sandcat20, Slugger McBatt, steadygetyerboots-on, TrinTrin and 228 guests

REPLY

Subject: 
Message:
   
Please note using apple style emoji's can result in posting failures.
Use the FULL EDITOR to better format content or upload images, be notified of replies etc...

Return to Wakefield Trinity


RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POST
TOPIC
POSTER
POSTS
7m
Game - Song Titles 20212
Boss Hog
17744
16m
BORED The Band Name Game
Boss Hog
35073
24m
Transfer talk
mat
703
30m
Betting in 2023
Boss Hog
46
34m
Another player
SteveRoebuck
24
39m
Retro Shirt
DiggerHFC
1
58m
Rumours and signings v9
The Whiffy K
24775
FORUM
LAST
VIEW
TOPIC
POSTER
POSTS
10s
RIP Doddie Weir
wrencat1873
6
11s
What we currently look like for 2023
chissitt
859
12s
Game - Song Titles 20212
Boss Hog
17744
15s
Transfer Talk / Rumour thread V4
christopher
2298
18s
Foreign investment
micktheleyth
2
21s
BORED The Band Name Game
Boss Hog
35073
21s
Retro Shirt
DiggerHFC
1
29s
Rumours and signings v9
The Whiffy K
24775
48s
Stadium and other issues
vastman
570
54s
2023 Staffing
gym bunny 1
46
FORUM
NEW
TOPICS
TOPIC
POSTER
POSTS
TODAY
Retro Shirt
DiggerHFC
1
TODAY
O/T Poblems at Skolars
wire-quin
2
TODAY
Leigh to be a better prospect than Wigan in 1-2 years
sergeant pep
7
TODAY
Foreign investment
micktheleyth
2
TODAY
RIP Doddie Weir
wrencat1873
6
TODAY
Harry Newman
christopher
6
TODAY
Wire TV
rubber ducki
5
TODAY
Squad complete Whats your starting 13 4
Kevin Turvey
26
TODAY
Any more signings
Greg Florimo
8
TODAY
Shirts - Shop
hooligan27
1
NEWS ITEMS
VIEWS
Australia World Champions Agai..
5585
Jillaroos Demolish the Ferns t..
1561
England Beat France in Nail-bi..
2555
New Zealand Ferns Final Bound ..
1434
Australia Power Into Womens Fi..
1498
Samoa Into the Final As Englis..
1648
Australia Squeeze Into The Fin..
3101
Jilleroos Scrape Home Against ..
1910
Cook Islands Sign Off With Vic..
2493
England 19-man squad for RLWC ..
2407
St Helens to face Penrith Pant..
2339
England Top Group A With Big W..
2049
Canada End World Cup With Tigh..
1846
Record Breaking Masterclass fr..
3069
Ferns Win As Cooks Score First..
2386
POSTSONLINEMEMBERSRECORD
19.4Million 1,333 ↓-879,3129,323
LOGIN HERE
or REGISTER for more features!.

When you register you get access to the live match scores, live match chat and you can post in the discussions on the forums.
RLFANS Match Centre
 Fri 17th Feb 2023
     Mens Super League XXVIII-R1
19:30
Wakefield
v
Catalans
 Fri 24th Feb 2023
     Mens Super League XXVIII-R2
20:00
Wigan
v
Wakefield
 Fri 3rd Mar 2023
     Mens Super League XXVIII-R3
19:45
Wakefield
v
Huddersfield
 Fri 10th Mar 2023
     Mens Super League XXVIII-R4
20:00
Leeds
v
Wakefield
ALL SCORES PROVIDED BY RLFANS.COM (SETTINGS)
Matches on TV
Thu 16th Feb
SL-M
20:00
Warrington-Leeds
Fri 17th Feb
SL-M
20:00
Leigh-Salford
Sat 18th Feb
SL-M
13:00
Hull KR-Wigan
WCC2023
07:00
Penrith-St.Helens
Thu 23rd Feb
SL-M
20:00
Salford-Hull KR
Fri 24th Feb
SL-M
20:00
Leeds-Hull FC
Sun 26th Feb
SL-M
13:00
Castleford-St.Helens
Thu 2nd Mar
SL-M
20:00
Warrington-Salford
Fri 3rd Mar
SL-M
20:00
St.Helens-Leeds
Thu 9th Mar
SL-M
20:00
Wigan-Catalans
Fri 10th Mar
SL-M
20:00
Huddersfield-Castleford
Sat 19th Nov
WC2022 6 Australia M30-10Samoa M
WWC2022 5 Australia W54-4New Zealand W
This is an inplay table and live positions can change.
Mens Betfred Super League XXVIII ROUND : 1
 PLDFADIFFPTS
Wakefield 0 0 0 0 0
Leeds 0 0 0 0 0
Hull KR 0 0 0 0 0
Warrington 0 0 0 0 0
Salford 0 0 0 0 0
Wigan 0 0 0 0 0
 
Hull FC 0 0 0 0 0
Catalans 0 0 0 0 0
Huddersfield 0 0 0 0 0
Leigh 0 0 0 0 0
St.Helens 0 0 0 0 0
Castleford 0 0 0 0 0
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POST
TOPIC
POSTER
POSTS
7m
Game - Song Titles 20212
Boss Hog
17744
16m
BORED The Band Name Game
Boss Hog
35073
24m
Transfer talk
mat
703
30m
Betting in 2023
Boss Hog
46
34m
Another player
SteveRoebuck
24
39m
Retro Shirt
DiggerHFC
1
58m
Rumours and signings v9
The Whiffy K
24775
FORUM
LAST
VIEW
TOPIC
POSTER
POSTS
10s
RIP Doddie Weir
wrencat1873
6
11s
What we currently look like for 2023
chissitt
859
12s
Game - Song Titles 20212
Boss Hog
17744
15s
Transfer Talk / Rumour thread V4
christopher
2298
18s
Foreign investment
micktheleyth
2
21s
BORED The Band Name Game
Boss Hog
35073
21s
Retro Shirt
DiggerHFC
1
29s
Rumours and signings v9
The Whiffy K
24775
48s
Stadium and other issues
vastman
570
54s
2023 Staffing
gym bunny 1
46
FORUM
NEW
TOPICS
TOPIC
POSTER
POSTS
TODAY
Retro Shirt
DiggerHFC
1
TODAY
O/T Poblems at Skolars
wire-quin
2
TODAY
Leigh to be a better prospect than Wigan in 1-2 years
sergeant pep
7
TODAY
Foreign investment
micktheleyth
2
TODAY
RIP Doddie Weir
wrencat1873
6
TODAY
Harry Newman
christopher
6
TODAY
Wire TV
rubber ducki
5
TODAY
Squad complete Whats your starting 13 4
Kevin Turvey
26
TODAY
Any more signings
Greg Florimo
8
TODAY
Shirts - Shop
hooligan27
1
NEWS ITEMS
VIEWS
Australia World Champions Agai..
5585
Jillaroos Demolish the Ferns t..
1561
England Beat France in Nail-bi..
2555
New Zealand Ferns Final Bound ..
1434
Australia Power Into Womens Fi..
1498
Samoa Into the Final As Englis..
1648
Australia Squeeze Into The Fin..
3101
Jilleroos Scrape Home Against ..
1910
Cook Islands Sign Off With Vic..
2493
England 19-man squad for RLWC ..
2407
St Helens to face Penrith Pant..
2339
England Top Group A With Big W..
2049
Canada End World Cup With Tigh..
1846
Record Breaking Masterclass fr..
3069
Ferns Win As Cooks Score First..
2386


Visit the RLFANS.COM SHOP
for more merchandise!