FORUMS FORUMS







RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
24 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!
  
WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Stadium and other issues
Re: Stadium and other issues : Fri Sep 23, 2022 12:01 pm  
Spookisback wrote:
I would assume that the work done to take into account the levels on the north terrace (I too remember the area which had loop topped fencing separating the levels) was either short term or sub standard… that said…I’m not at all surprised at the deterioration of the sub structure… hopefully the new structure is a long term solution…


How I understand it, yes it is permanent. Pilings are driven down to ground level and concreted in place. These act as the foundations for the new superstructure. Effectively the new terracing is not supported or even attached to the old terrace banking. You could in truth dig up the old stuff and take it away, however that is expensive so leaving it in place is the better solution.All the crush barriers are also being replaced
as they need to be attached to the new steel framework.

Others may explain it better than I can.
Re: Stadium and other issues : Fri Sep 23, 2022 12:25 pm  
BackSeatCoach wrote:
MC told me the material was akin to "slag" (or similar to the stuff that came out of mines) so not necessarily evil material per ce, but I got the impression that the Project Manager and Engineer didn't really want to uncover a great deal of it, hence the original plan to over cast the existing terrace.

Going back a long time before the flats were there that was slag,with a slope with steps of concrete .The North end of the ground was built on slag as well .
Re: Stadium and other issues : Fri Sep 23, 2022 1:25 pm  
BackSeatCoach wrote:
MC told me the material was akin to "slag" (or similar to the stuff that came out of mines) so not necessarily evil material per ce, but I got the impression that the Project Manager and Engineer didn't really want to uncover a great deal of it, hence the original plan to over cast the existing terrace.


It's little to do with what it is but rather the cost of removing it. That is a huge amount of material to shift off site and then find a landfill site. So yes they don't want to really do anything with it. The mound is stable and not toxic in general terms and won't move but it's not right for laying fresh old style cast concrete using forms.

It would be far better if it were just a flat piece of ground like the south end. The best thing to do with the North stand is to get it fit for purpose and extend its life. The real area where we have true potential to expand is the south end, It's ripe for a no nonsense standing terrace with facilities underneath. Could easily hold 3-4000 standing as it's a big area. If I were planning the stadium after tidying up the west terrace I'd concentrate on the south and leave the north alone. However until we are pushing the 8,000 capacity what's the point.
Re: Stadium and other issues : Fri Sep 23, 2022 2:25 pm  
vastman wrote:
BackSeatCoach wrote:
MC told me the material was akin to "slag" (or similar to the stuff that came out of mines) so not necessarily evil material per ce, but I got the impression that the Project Manager and Engineer didn't really want to uncover a great deal of it, hence the original plan to over cast the existing terrace.


It's little to do with what it is but rather the cost of removing it. That is a huge amount of material to shift off site and then find a landfill site. So yes they don't want to really do anything with it. The mound is stable and not toxic in general terms and won't move but it's not right for laying fresh old style cast concrete using forms.

It would be far better if it were just a flat piece of ground like the south end. The best thing to do with the North stand is to get it fit for purpose and extend its life. The real area where we have true potential to expand is the south end, It's ripe for a no nonsense standing terrace with facilities underneath. Could easily hold 3-4000 standing as it's a big area. If I were planning the stadium after tidying up the west terrace I'd concentrate on the south and leave the north alone. However until we are pushing the 8,000 capacity what's the point.


Funny you should mention the south area. I was only thinking the very same last night. It’s an ideal site for a 3/4000 stand as you say which is basic with a concourse under and a couple of bars. In fact it probably only needs to be a 2000 - 3000 max one. It would be a bonus if you could have a couple of boxes in there for match days but probably not essential.

I’d personally consider leaving the west stand if as you say it’s structurally sound and look at getting the south done. That said you may lose some match day income from the boxes as they’d have to go.

There was talk in the past about us partnering with a football team.

Could this potentially allow access to funding to further develop facilities. I’m not sure if this is still an option or which local club may be interested. We had a brief connection with Leeds reserves and Emley. I wonder if it’s worth re-establishing some links or at least exploring it.
Last edited by Trojan Horse on Fri Sep 23, 2022 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Re: Stadium and other issues : Fri Sep 23, 2022 2:43 pm  
alegend wrote:
Going back a long time before the flats were there that was slag,with a slope with steps of concrete .The North end of the ground was built on slag as well .

Wasn’t it it stuff the used to get as a bi product of the coke ovens?
Re: Stadium and other issues : Fri Sep 23, 2022 3:53 pm  
Thanks for the updates on this Vasty
Re: Stadium and other issues : Fri Sep 23, 2022 4:27 pm  
Yes Jinjer its 'black ash' many grounds used it back in the day. Its basically half burnt coal and by products. Actually it has a calorific value and quite a lot was reclaimed to blend in with coal at power stations. however those old coal stations are now a thing of the past, but if we had dug it out about 30 years ago we could have not only got rid of it for free, but maybe got paid a bit for it .
Re: Stadium and other issues : Fri Sep 23, 2022 4:37 pm  
vastman wrote:
It's little to do with what it is but rather the cost of removing it. That is a huge amount of material to shift off site and then find a landfill site.


Wonder if they want to bring Odsal up to ground level...
Re: Stadium and other issues : Fri Sep 23, 2022 7:09 pm  
Any body know when the seating plan is coming out for the East stand so we can pick were we want to sit.Got told about 3 week when I got S T
Re: Stadium and other issues : Fri Sep 23, 2022 7:58 pm  
alegend wrote:
Any body know when the seating plan is coming out for the East stand so we can pick were we want to sit.Got told about 3 week when I got S T

Hopefully, the seats will be offered to the elders first, the ones who have turned up year on year, some will want to be nearest to the toilets entrance, some will want the lower rows because they can’t manage the steps, me, I want to sit in the Directors section because I’m a snob. :x :lol:
Only joking :D
PreviousNext

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 169 guests

REPLY

Subject: 
Message:
   
Please note using apple style emoji's can result in posting failures.
Use the FULL EDITOR to better format content or upload images, be notified of replies etc...

Return to Wakefield Trinity