RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
23 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!
WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Stand off - playmaker - game controller.

User avatarvastman wrote:
vastman Member for 18 years
Gold RLFANS Member
User avatar


Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 5:37 pm
Posts: 35265
Location: Poodle Power!
The Phantom Horseman wrote:
A couple of Fev fans have suggested Morgan Smith might be heading to Wakefield. I think he's out of contract with us but I'd be a bit surprised if he got a SL gig - he's a very likeable player who always gives 100% and has a nose for the tryline at Championship level, but for me he doesn't have that creative ability to open up a defence necessary in a real top-end Championship half back.
Springer has recently signed on for Fev for next year (as has Ford btw as he was also mentioned), Lineham has gone ok for us but Championship looks his level now and I'd be surprised if we took over a big contract.
Jordan Lilley just hasn't progressed for me, he's steady enough but mid-level Championship and no more looks his level.


Just had a ring round and a quick nosey about Smith, general opinion seems to be that he's now as ready to step as he will ever be. Consensus is that he's well worth a punt but not guaranteed.

Sounds like the sort who do well at Trinity.
SUPPORT SWAG...

Trojan Horse wrote:
Trojan Horse Member for 18 years
Bronze RLFANS Member

No
Team
Selected


Joined: Wed Nov 03, 2004 5:56 pm
Posts: 4642
vastman wrote:
Just had a ring round and a quick nosey about Smith, general opinion seems to be that he's now as ready to step as he will ever be. Consensus is that he's well worth a punt but not guaranteed.

Sounds like the sort who do well at Trinity.


Lino is now an experienced player at 29 and as I said before needs to be taking a commanding role next season. For me I’d be more than happy to sign a half with a few years under his belt but with some potential. Morgan Smith could be a shrewd option. Lad has been around and appears to have a running game. Would probably allow Lino to take that role on of guiding the team.

I’d happily look at Smith and Springer from Fev if some sort of deal can be done.

In the very least it seems to show that there are plenty of players available.

Apparently Oliver Holmes been offered to clubs for 2023. He’d be a useful acquisition. I suppose it all comes down to what Apelgarth wants or thinks he needs.
Last edited by Trojan Horse on Mon Sep 26, 2022 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Top six 2005 - Trinity.

User avatarBarnsleyGull wrote:
BarnsleyGull Member for 4 years
Free-scoring winger
User avatar


Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:19 am
Posts: 2339
Location: Behind the Sticks
Trojan Horse wrote:
Lino is now an experienced player at 29 and as I said before needs to be taking a commanding role next season. For me I’d be more than happy to sign a half with a few years under his belt but with some potential. Morgan Smith could be a shrewd option. Lad has been around and appears to have a running game. Would probably allow Lino to take that role on of guiding the team.

I’d happily look at Smith and Springer from Fev if some sort of deal can be done.


Great news Trojan, I'll pass that on...... :lol:
We're all Trin aren't we?

Trojan Horse wrote:
Trojan Horse Member for 18 years
Bronze RLFANS Member

No
Team
Selected


Joined: Wed Nov 03, 2004 5:56 pm
Posts: 4642
BarnsleyGull wrote:
Great news Trojan, I'll pass that on...... :lol:


Lol this is the best part of the season throwing players names around like confetti.
Top six 2005 - Trinity.

Joined: Mon Sep 24, 2012 2:55 pm
Posts: 926
vastman wrote:
Just had a ring round and a quick nosey about Smith, general opinion seems to be that he's now as ready to step as he will ever be. Consensus is that he's well worth a punt but not guaranteed.

Sounds like the sort who do well at Trinity.

I like Morgan a lot as he's a wholehearted player who does everything to the best of his ability. He's popular amongst fans at Fev, many of who were disappointed that he was left out of the team recently, partly because of that but also the heritage part (his grandad Pete was a Fev legend).

For me he just doesn't have that creativity you need in a SL half back, he has scored a lot of tries this season from 5-10m out but he wouldn't have scored many of them against SL defences, and more importantly he's had Joey Leilua outside of him all season and I'm struggling to remember him putting Joey in space at all. For me, he's a good Championship player and no more, but who knows I could be wrong.

Prince Buster Member for 18 years
Bronze RLFANS Member
User avatar
No
Team
Selected


Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2004 1:17 pm
Posts: 4354
Location: Orange street
Trojan Horse wrote:

Apparently Oliver Holmes been offered to clubs for 2023. He’d be a useful acquisition. I suppose it all comes down to what Apelgarth wants or thinks he needs.

if my memory serves, he came through our juniors the same time as Milner and both jumped ship at the same time . Not for me, his best years are well behind him. Why lose batch and then sign holmes

User avatarThe Avenger wrote:
The Avenger Member for 9 years
Bronze RLFANS Member
User avatar


Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:09 am
Posts: 4382
vastman wrote:
Remembering all this is just your opinion, and this might shock you, not everybody rates it. Others do have the right to see it differently, most noticeably our one dimensional coach. There is no evidence to me that Lilley is a 'turnstile' silly cliche comment.

Morgan Smith, junior prodigies do often turn good later on, just takes an enlightened coach or a team that suits them, or shall we just bin them all?

Before you start, I have no idea if they are what Applegarth wants, and I don't care if we do or don't sign them, but I'll take the opinion of the coach over any faceless poster on here, myself included.

As far as I'm concerned, every signing is a great signing until they prove otherwise. IMO all fans should see it that way for no other reason than it's only fair. Also the fact that nobody on here has any idea how Applegarth will be as a SL coach, the tactics he will employ or the players he will assemble and the mentality of those who are signed. That's how I view it.


The irony of your first paragraph again, you really don’t have any idea how you come across on these threads and posts do you
Yes it’s just my opinion but it’s kind of backed up by the reality of his game whether your perfectly honed eye for talent sees the evidence or not.

Turn style is just a metaphor to explain the poor level of his defending, often used in the game, why do you think Leeds didn’t persist with him and none of the top Championship clubs have chased him.

As I said, Morgan was weighed down by the huge expectations placed upon him by Warrington, where he had some amazingly enlightened couches, after they paid stupidly high money for him as a junior. When it didn’t work out he and his agent were still expecting to get top wages for him as they touted his availability around a host of clubs. Huge knock to the kids confidence and ego to find there were no takers at that price. He’s done well to regather himself and go again but that doesn’t detract from the realities of his game. Who mentioned binning anyone, that’s just you going off on a gammon fuelled rant because someone had the temerity to disagree with you.

You continue to focus on what you perceived as a wholly negative word that I used to describe Applegarth and choose to ignore that I also said IMO he was a good coach who perhaps needed to be head coach at a Championship club and wouldn’t rule out him coaching at SL level one day
But crack on mr expert on everything, I’ll continue with my opinions and my supposed “vendetta” (ridiculous comment from you).

User avatarPopTart wrote:
PopTart Member for 14 years
100% League Network
User avatar


Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:10 am
Posts: 17005
Location: wakefield
"Just your opinion" is perfectly fine.
A dog is not considered a good dog because he is a good barker. A man is not considered a good man because he is a good talker - Buddha

User avatarvastman wrote:
vastman Member for 18 years
Gold RLFANS Member
User avatar


Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 5:37 pm
Posts: 35265
Location: Poodle Power!
The Phantom Horseman wrote:
I like Morgan a lot as he's a wholehearted player who does everything to the best of his ability. He's popular amongst fans at Fev, many of who were disappointed that he was left out of the team recently, partly because of that but also the heritage part (his grandad Pete was a Fev legend).

For me he just doesn't have that creativity you need in a SL half back, he has scored a lot of tries this season from 5-10m out but he wouldn't have scored many of them against SL defences, and more importantly he's had Joey Leilua outside of him all season and I'm struggling to remember him putting Joey in space at all. For me, he's a good Championship player and no more, but who knows I could be wrong.


I think you're slightly over doing the SL creative bit, trust me, not that many are all that special. I concur that for Wigan or Saints he might not cut the mustard but for us he's probably about right. No point having a clever player in a not so clever team, we've had that before, HB's on a wavelength that is different from their team mates. That's not a dig at the Trinity squad, just that we have to play within our limitations for now.

However the lad is still young and if the team progresses as I hope it does so will he. A few years in SL and we will see the true player, good or bad, it's always a gamble even with the best players.
SUPPORT SWAG...

User avatarvastman wrote:
vastman Member for 18 years
Gold RLFANS Member
User avatar


Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 5:37 pm
Posts: 35265
Location: Poodle Power!
The Avenger wrote:
The irony of your first paragraph again, you really don’t have any idea how you come across on these threads and posts do you
Yes it’s just my opinion but it’s kind of backed up by the reality of his game whether your perfectly honed eye for talent sees the evidence or not.

Turn style is just a metaphor to explain the poor level of his defending, often used in the game, why do you think Leeds didn’t persist with him and none of the top Championship clubs have chased him.

As I said, Morgan was weighed down by the huge expectations placed upon him by Warrington, where he had some amazingly enlightened couches, after they paid stupidly high money for him as a junior. When it didn’t work out he and his agent were still expecting to get top wages for him as they touted his availability around a host of clubs. Huge knock to the kids confidence and ego to find there were no takers at that price. He’s done well to regather himself and go again but that doesn’t detract from the realities of his game. Who mentioned binning anyone, that’s just you going off on a gammon fuelled rant because someone had the temerity to disagree with you.

You continue to focus on what you perceived as a wholly negative word that I used to describe Applegarth and choose to ignore that I also said IMO he was a good coach who perhaps needed to be head coach at a Championship club and wouldn’t rule out him coaching at SL level one day
But crack on mr expert on everything, I’ll continue with my opinions and my supposed “vendetta” (ridiculous comment from you).


But I'm not an expert and that's why I'm not the one making assumptions before a players signed or a game has been played, you are.

I hope Applegarth is a good coach, but I don't know and neither do you.

I don't mind people having negative opinions on the Trinity coach or the players once they have been in the job a while or played, that's fine by me. But what I don't get is writing them off before they start.

It's like with this Smith lad from Fev. You've just written him off because at 25 he hasn't quite hit the mark. But life is not like that, it takes time with most people. People learn, they grow up, they change or sometimes it just click , or they just meet the right coach and team mates where RL is concerned. This lad could be about to explode onto the scene as was once expected or he may end up a dud, but thy are the chances you take. Sometimes even those with huge reputations tank miserably. This is not just aimed at you, just give these players a chance and they may repay you big time, in truth what choice do we have, we can't buy success for now so we need to be bold and create it.
SUPPORT SWAG...
PreviousNext

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], LG83 and 70 guests

REPLY

Subject: 
Message:
   
Please note using apple style emoji's can result in posting failures.
Use the FULL EDITOR to better format content or upload images, be notified of replies etc...

Return to Wakefield Trinity


RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POST
TOPIC
POSTER
POSTS
FORUM
LAST
VIEW
TOPIC
POSTER
POSTS
12s
Game - Song Titles 20212
chissitt
17920
16s
Rumours and signings v9
Zig
24866
40s
Squad complete Whats your starting 13 4
Or thane
50
57s
2023 Squad Numbers
Clearwing
23
1m
Wane out
TheWarringto
78
1m
UK Asylum seekers
TheWarringto
165
1m
Riley Dean
WalterWizard
26
1m
Blake and Nene left whos incoming
JENKY
3
2m
Squad and Team 2023
Armavinit
16
3m
Channel 4
rubber ducki
2
FORUM
NEW
TOPICS
TOPIC
POSTER
POSTS
TODAY
Friendlies
MicktheGled
2
TODAY
Channel 4
rubber ducki
2
TODAY
Blake and Nene left whos incoming
JENKY
3
TODAY
Dragons Ladies Team 2022/2023
Jimmythecuck
1
TODAY
Squad and Team 2023
Armavinit
16
TODAY
Proctor
TrinTrin
1
TODAY
Shares for sale in Trinity
ChampagneSup
51
TODAY
Wardle and King
nathan_rugby
8
TODAY
Squad numbers
Trojan Horse
32
TODAY
NEW DEAL Cameron Smith - Expires 2026
Emagdnim13
11
NEWS ITEMS
VIEWS
Australia World Champions Agai..
5953
Jillaroos Demolish the Ferns t..
1874
England Beat France in Nail-bi..
2821
New Zealand Ferns Final Bound ..
1706
Australia Power Into Womens Fi..
1821
Samoa Into the Final As Englis..
1892
Australia Squeeze Into The Fin..
4625
Jilleroos Scrape Home Against ..
2138
Cook Islands Sign Off With Vic..
2724
England 19-man squad for RLWC ..
2631
St Helens to face Penrith Pant..
2572
England Top Group A With Big W..
2289
Canada End World Cup With Tigh..
2084
Record Breaking Masterclass fr..
3315
Ferns Win As Cooks Score First..
2614
POSTSONLINEMEMBERSRECORD
19.4Million 792 ↑1579,3159,323
LOGIN HERE
or REGISTER for more features!.

When you register you get access to the live match scores, live match chat and you can post in the discussions on the forums.
RLFANS Match Centre
 Fri 17th Feb 2023
     Mens Super League XXVIII-R1
19:30
Wakefield
v
Catalans
 Fri 24th Feb 2023
     Mens Super League XXVIII-R2
20:00
Wigan
v
Wakefield
 Fri 3rd Mar 2023
     Mens Super League XXVIII-R3
19:45
Wakefield
v
Huddersfield
 Fri 10th Mar 2023
     Mens Super League XXVIII-R4
20:00
Leeds
v
Wakefield
ALL SCORES PROVIDED BY RLFANS.COM (SETTINGS)
Matches on TV
Thu 16th Feb
SL-M
20:00
Warrington-Leeds
Fri 17th Feb
SL-M
20:00
Leigh-Salford
Sat 18th Feb
SL-M
13:00
Hull KR-Wigan
WCC2023
07:00
Penrith-St.Helens
Thu 23rd Feb
SL-M
20:00
Salford-Hull KR
Fri 24th Feb
SL-M
20:00
Leeds-Hull FC
Sun 26th Feb
SL-M
13:00
Castleford-St.Helens
Thu 2nd Mar
SL-M
20:00
Warrington-Salford
Fri 3rd Mar
SL-M
20:00
St.Helens-Leeds
Thu 9th Mar
SL-M
20:00
Wigan-Catalans
Fri 10th Mar
SL-M
20:00
Huddersfield-Castleford
This is an inplay table and live positions can change.
Mens Betfred Super League XXVIII ROUND : 1
 PLDFADIFFPTS
Huddersfield 0 0 0 0 0
Leigh 0 0 0 0 0
St.Helens 0 0 0 0 0
Castleford 0 0 0 0 0
Wakefield 0 0 0 0 0
Leeds 0 0 0 0 0
 
Hull KR 0 0 0 0 0
Warrington 0 0 0 0 0
Salford 0 0 0 0 0
Wigan 0 0 0 0 0
Hull FC 0 0 0 0 0
Catalans 0 0 0 0 0
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POST
TOPIC
POSTER
POSTS
FORUM
LAST
VIEW
TOPIC
POSTER
POSTS
12s
Game - Song Titles 20212
chissitt
17920
16s
Rumours and signings v9
Zig
24866
40s
Squad complete Whats your starting 13 4
Or thane
50
57s
2023 Squad Numbers
Clearwing
23
1m
Wane out
TheWarringto
78
1m
UK Asylum seekers
TheWarringto
165
1m
Riley Dean
WalterWizard
26
1m
Blake and Nene left whos incoming
JENKY
3
2m
Squad and Team 2023
Armavinit
16
3m
Channel 4
rubber ducki
2
FORUM
NEW
TOPICS
TOPIC
POSTER
POSTS
TODAY
Friendlies
MicktheGled
2
TODAY
Channel 4
rubber ducki
2
TODAY
Blake and Nene left whos incoming
JENKY
3
TODAY
Dragons Ladies Team 2022/2023
Jimmythecuck
1
TODAY
Squad and Team 2023
Armavinit
16
TODAY
Proctor
TrinTrin
1
TODAY
Shares for sale in Trinity
ChampagneSup
51
TODAY
Wardle and King
nathan_rugby
8
TODAY
Squad numbers
Trojan Horse
32
TODAY
NEW DEAL Cameron Smith - Expires 2026
Emagdnim13
11
NEWS ITEMS
VIEWS
Australia World Champions Agai..
5953
Jillaroos Demolish the Ferns t..
1874
England Beat France in Nail-bi..
2821
New Zealand Ferns Final Bound ..
1706
Australia Power Into Womens Fi..
1821
Samoa Into the Final As Englis..
1892
Australia Squeeze Into The Fin..
4625
Jilleroos Scrape Home Against ..
2138
Cook Islands Sign Off With Vic..
2724
England 19-man squad for RLWC ..
2631
St Helens to face Penrith Pant..
2572
England Top Group A With Big W..
2289
Canada End World Cup With Tigh..
2084
Record Breaking Masterclass fr..
3315
Ferns Win As Cooks Score First..
2614


Visit the RLFANS.COM SHOP
for more merchandise!