FORUMS FORUMS







RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
24 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!
  
WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - What we currently look like for 2023
Re: What we currently look like for 2023 : Wed Oct 05, 2022 10:47 am  
Sacred Cow wrote:
Davison is talking about Smith.

My Fev supporting mate is quite surprised he’s got Super League gig. He’s a bit disappointed to be losing him but says he’s not sure he’s a top level halfback. He ended up behind Ryley Jacks and Jonathon Ford by the end of the season, rightly or wrongly. Personally not seen much of him bar the odd appearance on premier sports this year where he didn’t really stand out. I wonder if we have someone else coming in and he is effectively Brad Walkers utility replacement? Smith did play pretty much exclusively as interchange hooker during his time at Warrington. Either way our London 2019 contingent is running a bit low though with Sid departing so we need to keep it topped up!


No offence but they would say that wouldn't they. Nobody likes to lose a player, especially one who's sniffed out 20+ tries.

I have a few Fev mates also and get a mixed response.

However I have a theory on this signing.

I do know Lino has been told to step up with Miller leaving and lets be honest at 29 he needs to if he's to secure that big contract to see his career through.

I think TBF he's been trying to but him and Miller was possibly not the best fit.

I noticed all season that Lino was always looking to pass to a player who was never there, Miller I'd guess. I reckon Smith is the sort who will always be there and will be happy to follow Lino's lead. He's quick, has an eye for the line and a good kicking game but above all he can defend, a must in Applegarth eyes.

Truth is almost any player with the right attitude can succeed to a decent level if he believes in his coach and his team mates.

It's also about perception. If we'd signed him from Warrington 3 years ago we'd be hailing him.

Leeds have just signed Luke Hooley, a player I saw nothing in, yet I have to accept the Leeds coach knows way more than me - ditto Applegarth.

PB called him a possible gem, I think he already is a gem, just needs polishing as is the case with so many players.

Not sure I get the need for the London jibe.
Re: What we currently look like for 2023 : Wed Oct 05, 2022 11:53 am  
vastman wrote:
No offence but they would say that wouldn't they. Nobody likes to lose a player, especially one who's sniffed out 20+ tries.

I have a few Fev mates also and get a mixed response.

However I have a theory on this signing.

I do know Lino has been told to step up with Miller leaving and lets be honest at 29 he needs to if he's to secure that big contract to see his career through.

I think TBF he's been trying to but him and Miller was possibly not the best fit.

I noticed all season that Lino was always looking to pass to a player who was never there, Miller I'd guess. I reckon Smith is the sort who will always be there and will be happy to follow Lino's lead. He's quick, has an eye for the line and a good kicking game but above all he can defend, a must in Applegarth eyes.

Truth is almost any player with the right attitude can succeed to a decent level if he believes in his coach and his team mates.

It's also about perception. If we'd signed him from Warrington 3 years ago we'd be hailing him.

Leeds have just signed Luke Hooley, a player I saw nothing in, yet I have to accept the Leeds coach knows way more than me - ditto Applegarth.

PB called him a possible gem, I think he already is a gem, just needs polishing as is the case with so many players.

Not sure I get the need for the London jibe.



Agree with this, apart from the Lino bit.
If he's the guy he needs to be barking orders and telling them where to be. Not passing and being disappointed they are not there.
Re: What we currently look like for 2023 : Wed Oct 05, 2022 12:03 pm  
Rather difficult being assertive with and ordering the captain about.
Re: What we currently look like for 2023 : Wed Oct 05, 2022 12:33 pm  
Tim Smith managed it with Kirmond.
Re: What we currently look like for 2023 : Wed Oct 05, 2022 12:36 pm  
Borderboy wrote:
Rather difficult being assertive with and ordering the captain about.


That was exactly my point.

Sometimes 2 into 1 doesn't go.

Didn't help that CC bought Lino in and stated he was the on-field organiser organiser we'd been looking for. Lono had never been such a player yet was expected to come in and as you say order the captain and long term player about. If Lino had been Cooper Cronk then yes, but with the best will in the world he isn't.

Who knows, none of us know the guys or the team dynamics but we do know human nature. Sometimes it takes a while to find your place in any organisation, now perhaps Lino can really call the shots.
Re: What we currently look like for 2023 : Wed Oct 05, 2022 12:38 pm  
Willzay wrote:
Tim Smith managed it with Kirmond.


Why, was Kirmond a HB? SR and HB, not likely to clash with there on field roles are they?
Re: What we currently look like for 2023 : Wed Oct 05, 2022 1:18 pm  
Borderboy wrote:
Rather difficult being assertive with and ordering the captain about.


It shouldn't be but it's not really Miller he should be ordering around. It's the runners.

Tim Smith wasn't captain but he would physically drag a player into the right place if they didn't get it.

Tanginoa would probably be top scorer if he had Tim Smith deciding and distributing the plays.
Re: What we currently look like for 2023 : Wed Oct 05, 2022 1:47 pm  
PopTart wrote:
It shouldn't be but it's not really Miller he should be ordering around. It's the runners.

Tim Smith wasn't captain but he would physically drag a player into the right place if they didn't get it.

Tanginoa would probably be top scorer if he had Tim Smith deciding and distributing the plays.


Yup, it's all about a balanced team, and that's what a coach is there to create. Easier said than done though.

Miller was a great HB for us IMHO but that doesn't mean that Lino won't be far better with a different one. No slight on either player. In fact I'd argue Miller looked his best with Finn.
Re: What we currently look like for 2023 : Wed Oct 05, 2022 7:23 pm  
We currently look better than Worcester RUFC, who in a sport that has been awash with millions of £, has just been wound up, and owing 6 million £ to the Tax man alone, with another 15 million £ owing to the government from the RFU loan taken during the Covid crisis. I like to think RL clubs have managed things better, but who knows.
Re: What we currently look like for 2023 : Wed Oct 05, 2022 10:15 pm  
Dunkirk Spirit wrote:
We currently look better than Worcester RUFC, who in a sport that has been awash with millions of £, has just been wound up, and owing 6 million £ to the Tax man alone, with another 15 million £ owing to the government from the RFU loan taken during the Covid crisis. I like to think RL clubs have managed things better, but who knows.


I'd forgotten about that covid loan money. Did any RL clubs dip into that offer?
PreviousNext

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google Adsense [Bot], GP1, imwakefieldtillidie, Kettykat, Spookisback and 229 guests

REPLY

Subject: 
Message:
   
Please note using apple style emoji's can result in posting failures.
Use the FULL EDITOR to better format content or upload images, be notified of replies etc...

Return to Wakefield Trinity