No
Team
Selected
Trojan Horse
Member for 18 years
Bronze RLFANS Member

Re: What we currently look like for 2023 : Thu Nov 24, 2022 4:08 pm  
homme vaste wrote:
Some French media reporting that we are talking with Dylan Napa.

Not sure, he is a quality player and loved him in the NRL but hasn`t seemed to perform at Catalan, also has shown some poor discipline which he would need to tidy up.

The media report I saw said we were initially interested in Napa and that the interest has cooled recently with trinity exploring options. That led to suggestions Catalans may have to pay Napa’s contract out.

Personally I watched him for Cook Islands and he didn’t look fit or imposing. Looked to be out of shape and carrying some extra pounds.

If Catalans could sub a % of his wages and we could get him fit he could be an option. He has some size.

I would hope we have 2 props signed up soon though. Was hoping to hear something on Atoni we were rumoured to be quite far down securing.
Top six 2005 - Trinity.
vastman
Member for 18 years
Gold RLFANS Member

Re: What we currently look like for 2023 : Thu Nov 24, 2022 4:31 pm  
Trojan Horse wrote:
The media report I saw said we were initially interested in Napa and that the interest has cooled recently with trinity exploring options. That led to suggestions Catalans may have to pay Napa’s contract out.

Personally I watched him for Cook Islands and he didn’t look fit or imposing. Looked to be out of shape and carrying some extra pounds.

If Catalans could sub a % of his wages and we could get him fit he could be an option. He has some size.

I would hope we have 2 props signed up soon though. Was hoping to hear something on Atoni we were rumoured to be quite far down securing.

Sorry Trojan but I just don't get the logic maybe the game has changed and I haven't noticed but it must have only happened in the last few months, because Napa was a start this time last year as was ant 7 times SOO player.

Napa is a big match player with a genuine pedigree, Atoni is a total punt. I don't mind either tbh but if I were wanting one it would be Nap by a mile, the bloke is class and as the cliche goes, class is permanent.

PS: Nobody could have been less fit that big Dave when he arrives, and he did ok.
SUPPORT SWAG...
No
Team
Selected
Trojan Horse
Member for 18 years
Bronze RLFANS Member

Re: What we currently look like for 2023 : Thu Nov 24, 2022 5:06 pm  
vastman wrote:
Sorry Trojan but I just don't get the logic maybe the game has changed and I haven't noticed but it must have only happened in the last few months, because Napa was a start this time last year as was ant 7 times SOO player.

Napa is a big match player with a genuine pedigree, Atoni is a total punt. I don't mind either tbh but if I were wanting one it would be Nap by a mile, the bloke is class and as the cliche goes, class is permanent.

PS: Nobody could have been less fit that big Dave when he arrives, and he did ok.

I watched Napa a couple of times for Catalans and in the WC for Cook Islands. He was pretty poor imo. Didn’t look like at all what you describe.

Also, some players can carry an extra stone and it even helps some players. Big Dave could carry it and use it. Watching Napa in the WC he looked lethargic and unfit.

I’d be fine with signing Napa but I hope we see the Napa you’re describing and not the one in WC.
Top six 2005 - Trinity.
No
Team
Selected
jonh
Member for 20 years

Re: What we currently look like for 2023 : Thu Nov 24, 2022 6:22 pm  
homme vaste wrote:
Yes, he has mate, when he signed.

“Personally, I want to really kick on at KR and be challenging for things every year. I want to win some silverware. I think we can do something special as a team."

"I spoke to Willie about the club, himself and how he wants to play and within ten minutes he’d sold me on it. I think how Willie (Peters) wants us to play and what he values as a coach is exactly the environment I want to be a part of.”

Think key points are kicking on and environment. Can’t fault him.
Unofficially the most boring poster on Cherry and White.
REDWHITEANDBLUE
Member for 20 years

Re: What we currently look like for 2023 : Thu Nov 24, 2022 6:59 pm  
jonh wrote:
Think key points are kicking on and environment. Can’t fault him.

Shame we changed the coaches too late
[IMG]//i50.tinypic.com/a59ff5.gif[/IMG]
No
Team
Selected
altofts wildcat
Member for 13 years
Bronze RLFANS Member

Re: What we currently look like for 2023 : Thu Nov 24, 2022 7:40 pm  
vastman wrote:

Jarred Hickey was certainly less fit than Big Dave
vastman
Member for 18 years
Gold RLFANS Member

Re: What we currently look like for 2023 : Thu Nov 24, 2022 7:53 pm  
altofts wildcat wrote:
Jarred Hickey was certainly less fit than Big Dave

True but there are always exceptions.
SUPPORT SWAG...
No
Team
Selected
Sacred Cow
Member for 18 years
Bronze RLFANS Member

Re: What we currently look like for 2023 : Thu Nov 24, 2022 8:33 pm  
https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/dylan-napa-leaves-catalans-dragons-25599635?utm_source=leeds_live_newsletter&utm_campaign=rugby_league_lve_newsletter&utm_medium=email

Bit that stands out to me was this bit..

One club that has been linked with Napa is Wakefield Trinity. However, Rugby League Live understands that there is currently no chance of that move happening due to Napa's wage demands. It's believed that his representatives are commanding a package that would make him one of the best-paid players in Super League, leaving Wakefield out of the picture unless those demands change drastically.

As i said i certainly wouldn't be breaking the bank for him. Neither though will anyone else i should have thought so they might be stuck with him if they aren't willing to pay him off.
https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/dylan-napa-leaves-catalans-dragons-25599635?utm_source=leeds_live_newsletter&utm_campaign=rugby_league_lve_newsletter&utm_medium=email

One club that has been linked with Napa is Wakefield Trinity. However, Rugby League Live understands that there is currently no chance of that move happening due to Napa's wage demands. It's believed that his representatives are commanding a package that would make him one of the best-paid players in Super League, leaving Wakefield out of the picture unless those demands change drastically.

As i said i certainly wouldn't be breaking the bank for him. Neither though will anyone else i should have thought so they might be stuck with him if they aren't willing to pay him off.
No
Team
Selected
Trojan Horse
Member for 18 years
Bronze RLFANS Member

Re: What we currently look like for 2023 : Thu Nov 24, 2022 8:40 pm  
Sacred Cow wrote:

Still excited to see who we bring in.

I just noticed Fev have signed Riley Dean on loan. If there was a chance of that it would have been a good option of back up/rotation halfback. There’s always the chance that Wire wouldn’t let him go to another SL club.
Sacred Cow wrote:

Still excited to see who we bring in.

I just noticed Fev have signed Riley Dean on loan. If there was a chance of that it would have been a good option of back up/rotation halfback. There’s always the chance that Wire wouldn’t let him go to another SL club.
Top six 2005 - Trinity.

Re: What we currently look like for 2023 : Thu Nov 24, 2022 9:46 pm  
Napa would be the best prop at the club, he's just what we need. What's in our favour here is there's very few clubs with a quota spot, and Catalans need the cap space. There's a good chance that as we get closer to the season they'll become more open to paying a large part of his wages. Wouldn't be surprised to see a loan/12 month deal if our other targets don't materialise.
PreviousNext