RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
23 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!
WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - What we currently look like for 2023
Prince Buster
Member for 18 years
Bronze RLFANS Member

User avatar


Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2004 1:17 pm
Posts: 4362
Location: Orange street
Re: What we currently look like for 2023 : Tue Oct 04, 2022 2:03 pm  
Anyway back on topic, the squad so far seems extremely thin. A good rump of players to build the team around especialy some young ones who will only improve. However no sign of the two or three really major signings that we need to make us very competitive.
I believe this season will be harder than last year mainly due to the fact that wire will not be so poor and Leigh will be far stronger than tolouse. So all this talk about the need for increased gates and the obvious benefit that the new stand will bring is fair enough. However a decent team that wins plenty of games especially at home is essental and without that I really cant see how the club can grow. If the club plan to do the basic minimum against this season and just hang on to await ground improveents, i think that is a dangerous approach. However from the vibes I am getting it seems to me we are going to gamble again with a very tight budget player wise and then hope we get some more money to spend when the new facilities kick in. Thats OK if it works but we could still suffer relegation and then what happens ?
Dunkirk Spirit
Member for 4 years
Free-scoring winger

User avatar


Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:43 am
Posts: 2186
Location: Horbury, a small town in Wakefield
Re: What we currently look like for 2023 : Tue Oct 04, 2022 2:16 pm  
Sadly we need to look better on the attendance figures next season, Our average gate fell by over 800 per game, I reckon that’s near enough a quarter million £ over the season

Super League clubs' 2019 and 2022 attendances compared

Castleford - 2019: 7,253, 2022: 7,542. Difference: 3.98% increase
Catalans - 2019: 10,259, 2022: 8,068. Difference: 21.35% decrease
Huddersfield - 2019: 5,226, 2022: 5,144. Difference: 1.56% decrease
Hull FC - 2019: 11,478, 2022: 10,763. Difference: 6.22% decrease
Hull KR - 2019: 8,220, 2022: 7,788. Difference: 5.25% decrease
Leeds - 2019: 12,727, 2022: 12,940. Difference: 213: 1.67% increase
Salford - 2019: 3,746, 2022: 4,529. Difference: 783: 20.9% increase
St Helens - 2019: 11,910, 2022: 11,851. Difference: 0.49% decrease
Wakefield - 2019: 5,468, 2022: 4,613. Difference: 15.63% decrease
Warrington - 2019: 10,468, 2022: 8,719. Difference: 16.7% decrease
Wigan - 2019: 11,432, 2022: 12,278. Difference: 846: 7.4% increase
Promoted club - London 2019: 2,021, Toulouse 2022: 4,974, Difference: 2,953
No
Team
Selected
Trojan Horse
Member for 18 years
Bronze RLFANS Member




Joined: Wed Nov 03, 2004 5:56 pm
Posts: 4654
Re: What we currently look like for 2023 : Tue Oct 04, 2022 2:33 pm  
Prince Buster wrote:
Anyway back on topic, the squad so far seems extremely thin. A good rump of players to build the team around especialy some young ones who will only improve. However no sign of the two or three really major signings that we need to make us very competitive.
I believe this season will be harder than last year mainly due to the fact that wire will not be so poor and Leigh will be far stronger than tolouse. So all this talk about the need for increased gates and the obvious benefit that the new stand will bring is fair enough. However a decent team that wins plenty of games especially at home is essental and without that I really cant see how the club can grow. If the club plan to do the basic minimum against this season and just hang on to await ground improveents, i think that is a dangerous approach. However from the vibes I am getting it seems to me we are going to gamble again with a very tight budget player wise and then hope we get some more money to spend when the new facilities kick in. Thats OK if it works but we could still suffer relegation and then what happens ?


Over and above all we must not finish bottom next season and it will be harder as Leigh are better prepared than probably any other team has been coming up next year (only need a handful of players and most will have played together).

The highest risk to trinity in the short term is relegation and the squad must be built that can steer us away from that.

That certainly doesn’t mean that we can rest on our laurels and just depend on winning more games and hoping that draws supporters in. It will certainly help if we do win as you say and there does need to be the ambition to build a team capable of playoff rugby.

Continual improvement needs to be looked at in all areas though and there’s plenty of potential for growth in Wakefield trinity. I don’t envy the trinity directors and staff as it’s going to require a lot of planning and effort as well as possibly some funding but I do have confidence in them.

I don’t think they will wait for the ground to release funds and I do think that they will build a team capable of improving on our 10th place finish.
Top six 2005 - Trinity.
Dunkirk Spirit
Member for 4 years
Free-scoring winger

User avatar


Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:43 am
Posts: 2186
Location: Horbury, a small town in Wakefield
Re: What we currently look like for 2023 : Tue Oct 04, 2022 4:25 pm  
I was beginning to think think the Miller story had gone away, just seen this on Sky sports page.

Jacob Miller: Half-back swaps Wakefield Trinity for local rivals Castleford Tigers
Half-back Jacob Miller has left Wakefield Trinity to join the Castleford Tigers on a three-year contract ahead of the 2023 Betfred Super League season; Miller will be reunited with his former Hull FC head coach Lee Radford at Castleford

Last Updated: 04/10/22 5:00pm

Jacob Miller is crossing the West Yorkshire divide to join Castleford Tigers from Wakefield Trinity ahead of the 2023 Betfred Super League season.

The 30-year-old half-back confirmed in August he would be leaving Trinity after eight seasons with the club, during which time he was appointed captain.

Miller has now signed a three-year contract with Wakefield's rivals Castleford, who had been looking to replace Hull FC-bound half Jake Trueman and cannot wait to get started at the Tigers under Lee Radford.

I'm obviously moving to a cross-town rival but the team and the squad that we are building for next year is really exciting," Miller said.

"It's probably the main thing that attracted me to come here. I will also be linking up with some familiar faces that I have played with before and been coached by before, that is another thing I am really looking forward to.

"It was a tough decision because Wakefield has played a big part in my journey over here and I've got nothing but good things to say about the place.

"I am grateful for everything they have done for me, and it was a decision I didn't take lightly. It was a great place for me but at the same time, I am looking forward to the new challenge."
Prince Buster
Member for 18 years
Bronze RLFANS Member

User avatar


Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2004 1:17 pm
Posts: 4362
Location: Orange street
Re: What we currently look like for 2023 : Tue Oct 04, 2022 4:45 pm  
Dunkirk Spirit wrote:
I was beginning to think think the Miller story had gone away, just seen this on Sky sports page.

Jacob Miller: Half-back swaps Wakefield Trinity for local rivals Castleford Tigers
Half-back Jacob Miller has left Wakefield Trinity to join the Castleford Tigers on a three-year contract ahead of the 2023 Betfred Super League season; Miller will be reunited with his former Hull FC head coach Lee Radford at Castleford

Last Updated: 04/10/22 5:00pm

Jacob Miller is crossing the West Yorkshire divide to join Castleford Tigers from Wakefield Trinity ahead of the 2023 Betfred Super League season.

The 30-year-old half-back confirmed in August he would be leaving Trinity after eight seasons with the club, during which time he was appointed captain.

Miller has now signed a three-year contract with Wakefield's rivals Castleford, who had been looking to replace Hull FC-bound half Jake Trueman and cannot wait to get started at the Tigers under Lee Radford.

I'm obviously moving to a cross-town rival but the team and the squad that we are building for next year is really exciting," Miller said.

"It's probably the main thing that attracted me to come here. I will also be linking up with some familiar faces that I have played with before and been coached by before, that is another thing I am really looking forward to.

"It was a tough decision because Wakefield has played a big part in my journey over here and I've got nothing but good things to say about the place.

"I am grateful for everything they have done for me, and it was a decision I didn't take lightly. It was a great place for me but at the same time, I am looking forward to the new challenge."


It was the worst kept secret out there. Personally think we have had his best years, 3 years is a risk for Cas, but thats their problem now. What the club must do is find someone better. Smith from Fev is a name doing the rounds. He may have potential but he has never played at the top level. He could be a very shrewd signing and a gem uncovered. The again its one big risk IF ! , he is going to be one of our first choice halves.
vastman
Member for 18 years
Gold RLFANS Member

User avatar


Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 5:37 pm
Posts: 35300
Location: Poodle Power!
Re: What we currently look like for 2023 : Wed Oct 05, 2022 6:00 am  
Prince Buster wrote:
It was the worst kept secret out there. Personally think we have had his best years, 3 years is a risk for Cas, but thats their problem now. What the club must do is find someone better. Smith from Fev is a name doing the rounds. He may have potential but he has never played at the top level. He could be a very shrewd signing and a gem uncovered. The again its one big risk IF ! , he is going to be one of our first choice halves.



PB Smith played 26 times for Warrington in SL and also played for London in SL, he’s no novice.

Seemed to lose his way when London got demoted.

By my reckoning he’s played as many as 30+ SL games. He’s yet to hit his potential but he’s not untried at SL level.

Also scored 22 tries in a season for Fev this year, not to be sniffed ar.

Obviously this info if from Wiki so you can’t always be sure but I think in this case it’s about right.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morgan_ ... gby_league)
Prince Buster wrote:
It was the worst kept secret out there. Personally think we have had his best years, 3 years is a risk for Cas, but thats their problem now. What the club must do is find someone better. Smith from Fev is a name doing the rounds. He may have potential but he has never played at the top level. He could be a very shrewd signing and a gem uncovered. The again its one big risk IF ! , he is going to be one of our first choice halves.



PB Smith played 26 times for Warrington in SL and also played for London in SL, he’s no novice.

Seemed to lose his way when London got demoted.

By my reckoning he’s played as many as 30+ SL games. He’s yet to hit his potential but he’s not untried at SL level.

Also scored 22 tries in a season for Fev this year, not to be sniffed ar.

Obviously this info if from Wiki so you can’t always be sure but I think in this case it’s about right.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morgan_ ... gby_league)
SUPPORT SWAG...
phe13
Member for 5 years
Cheeky half-back




Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:11 pm
Posts: 981
Re: What we currently look like for 2023 : Wed Oct 05, 2022 7:46 am  
vastman wrote:
PB Smith played 26 times for Warrington in SL and also played for London in SL, he’s no novice.

Seemed to lose his way when London got demoted.

By my reckoning he’s played as many as 30+ SL games. He’s yet to hit his potential but he’s not untried at SL level.

Also scored 22 tries in a season for Fev this year, not to be sniffed ar.

Obviously this info if from Wiki so you can’t always be sure but I think in this case it’s about right.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morgan_ ... gby_league)


and his grandad was a good player :)
vastman wrote:
PB Smith played 26 times for Warrington in SL and also played for London in SL, he’s no novice.

Seemed to lose his way when London got demoted.

By my reckoning he’s played as many as 30+ SL games. He’s yet to hit his potential but he’s not untried at SL level.

Also scored 22 tries in a season for Fev this year, not to be sniffed ar.

Obviously this info if from Wiki so you can’t always be sure but I think in this case it’s about right.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morgan_ ... gby_league)


and his grandad was a good player :)
No
Team
Selected
Trojan Horse
Member for 18 years
Bronze RLFANS Member




Joined: Wed Nov 03, 2004 5:56 pm
Posts: 4654
Re: What we currently look like for 2023 : Wed Oct 05, 2022 8:30 am  
vastman wrote:
PB Smith played 26 times for Warrington in SL and also played for London in SL, he’s no novice.

Seemed to lose his way when London got demoted.

By my reckoning he’s played as many as 30+ SL games. He’s yet to hit his potential but he’s not untried at SL level.

Also scored 22 tries in a season for Fev this year, not to be sniffed ar.

Obviously this info if from Wiki so you can’t always be sure but I think in this case it’s about right.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morgan_ ... gby_league)


See his recent highlights here…. Looks like a copy of a younger Miller. Seems to be be an aggressive tackle and have a good running game. That said the one think he looks to have is a nice little kick when on the opposition line. Some nice touches and an area we have been lacking recent years.

See them here [youtube] https://youtu.be/VGyGOodqdsY[/youtube]
vastman wrote:
PB Smith played 26 times for Warrington in SL and also played for London in SL, he’s no novice.

Seemed to lose his way when London got demoted.

By my reckoning he’s played as many as 30+ SL games. He’s yet to hit his potential but he’s not untried at SL level.

Also scored 22 tries in a season for Fev this year, not to be sniffed ar.

Obviously this info if from Wiki so you can’t always be sure but I think in this case it’s about right.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morgan_ ... gby_league)


See his recent highlights here…. Looks like a copy of a younger Miller. Seems to be be an aggressive tackle and have a good running game. That said the one think he looks to have is a nice little kick when on the opposition line. Some nice touches and an area we have been lacking recent years.

See them here [youtube] https://youtu.be/VGyGOodqdsY[/youtube]
Top six 2005 - Trinity.
No
Team
Selected
Trojan Horse
Member for 18 years
Bronze RLFANS Member




Joined: Wed Nov 03, 2004 5:56 pm
Posts: 4654
Re: What we currently look like for 2023 : Wed Oct 05, 2022 9:24 am  
Trinity closing in on a signing according to John Davidson.

No idea of the credibility or who.
Top six 2005 - Trinity.
No
Team
Selected
Sacred Cow
Member for 18 years
Bronze RLFANS Member




Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2004 7:07 pm
Posts: 3055
Re: What we currently look like for 2023 : Wed Oct 05, 2022 10:08 am  
Davison is talking about Smith.

My Fev supporting mate is quite surprised he’s got Super League gig. He’s a bit disappointed to be losing him but says he’s not sure he’s a top level halfback. He ended up behind Ryley Jacks and Jonathon Ford by the end of the season, rightly or wrongly. Personally not seen much of him bar the odd appearance on premier sports this year where he didn’t really stand out. I wonder if we have someone else coming in and he is effectively Brad Walkers utility replacement? Smith did play pretty much exclusively as interchange hooker during his time at Warrington. Either way our London 2019 contingent is running a bit low though with Sid departing so we need to keep it topped up!
PreviousNext

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: eric35, LG83, lister, Spookisback, wakeytrin, Wildthing and 161 guests

REPLY

Subject: 
Message:
   
Please note using apple style emoji's can result in posting failures.
Use the FULL EDITOR to better format content or upload images, be notified of replies etc...

Return to Wakefield Trinity


RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POST
TOPIC
POSTER
POSTS
FORUM
LAST
VIEW
TOPIC
POSTER
POSTS
0s
Game - Song Titles 20212
chissitt
18112
3s
BORED The Band Name Game
Boss Hog
35423
20s
The ONLY LUFC Football Thread
Jack Burton
4348
24s
Harrison
sally cinnam
25
26s
Rumours and signings v9
Cruncher
24932
36s
As the festive season is nearly upon us
Judder Man
5
38s
Jacob Hookem
steadygetyer
1
46s
Blake and Nene left whos incoming
Snowy
34
1m
Seen in last weeks League Express
glee
1
1m
Home kit23
CM Punk
21
FORUM
NEW
TOPICS
TOPIC
POSTER
POSTS
TODAY
Seen in last weeks League Express
glee
1
TODAY
The annual how will 2022/23 SL finish the regular season
Smiffy27
3
TODAY
Kits for 2023
Septimius Se
1
TODAY
Seen in last weeks League Express
glee
1
TODAY
We Are Moving to the East Stand
Deadcowboys1
9
TODAY
Seen in last weeks League Express
glee
1
TODAY
Jacob Hookem
steadygetyer
1
TODAY
Seen in last weeks League Express
glee
1
NEWS ITEMS
VIEWS
Australia World Champions Agai..
6516
Jillaroos Demolish the Ferns t..
2516
England Beat France in Nail-bi..
3392
New Zealand Ferns Final Bound ..
2139
Australia Power Into Womens Fi..
2215
Samoa Into the Final As Englis..
2659
Australia Squeeze Into The Fin..
5039
Jilleroos Scrape Home Against ..
2508
Cook Islands Sign Off With Vic..
3108
England 19-man squad for RLWC ..
3011
St Helens to face Penrith Pant..
2973
England Top Group A With Big W..
2659
Canada End World Cup With Tigh..
3709
Record Breaking Masterclass fr..
3721
Ferns Win As Cooks Score First..
3034
POSTSONLINEMEMBERSRECORD
19.4Million 1,111 ↓-879,3239,323
LOGIN HERE
or REGISTER for more features!.

When you register you get access to the live match scores, live match chat and you can post in the discussions on the forums.
RLFANS Match Centre
 Fri 17th Feb 2023
     Mens Super League XXVIII-R1
19:30
Wakefield
v
Catalans
 Fri 24th Feb 2023
     Mens Super League XXVIII-R2
20:00
Wigan
v
Wakefield
 Fri 3rd Mar 2023
     Mens Super League XXVIII-R3
19:45
Wakefield
v
Huddersfield
 Fri 10th Mar 2023
     Mens Super League XXVIII-R4
20:00
Leeds
v
Wakefield
 Sun 19th Mar 2023
     Mens Super League XXVIII-R5
15:00
Salford
v
Wakefield
 Fri 24th Mar 2023
     Mens Super League XXVIII-R6
20:00
Wakefield
v
Hull KR
 Fri 31st Mar 2023
     Mens Super League XXVIII-R7
20:00
St.Helens
v
Wakefield
 Thu 6th Apr 2023
     Mens Super League XXVIII-R8
20:00
Castleford
v
Wakefield
 Sun 16th Apr 2023
     Mens Super League XXVIII-R9
15:00
Wakefield
v
Leigh
 Sun 23rd Apr 2023
     Mens Super League XXVIII-R10
15:00
Wigan
v
Wakefield
ALL SCORES PROVIDED BY RLFANS.COM (SETTINGS)
Matches on TV
Thu 16th Feb
SL-M
20:00
Warrington-Leeds
Fri 17th Feb
SL-M
20:00
Leigh-Salford
Sat 18th Feb
SL-M
13:00
Hull KR-Wigan
WCC2023
07:00
Penrith-St.Helens
Thu 23rd Feb
SL-M
20:00
Salford-Hull KR
Fri 24th Feb
SL-M
20:00
Leeds-Hull FC
Sun 26th Feb
SL-M
13:00
Castleford-St.Helens
Thu 2nd Mar
SL-M
20:00
Warrington-Salford
Fri 3rd Mar
SL-M
20:00
St.Helens-Leeds
Thu 9th Mar
SL-M
20:00
Wigan-Catalans
Fri 10th Mar
SL-M
20:00
Huddersfield-Castleford
Thu 16th Mar
SL-M
20:00
Castleford-Leeds
Thu 23rd Mar
SL-M
20:00
Huddersfield-St.Helens
Sat 25th Mar
SL-M
13:00
Leeds-Castleford
Thu 30th Mar
SL-M
20:00
Leigh-Wigan
Sat 1st Apr
SL-M
13:00
Warrington-Hull FC
Thu 6th Apr
SL-M
20:00
Castleford-Wakefield
Fri 7th Apr
SL-M
12:30
Hull FC-Hull KR
SL-M
15:00
Wigan-St.Helens
Thu 13th Apr
SL-M
20:00
Salford-Castleford
This is an inplay table and live positions can change.
Mens Betfred Super League XXVIII ROUND : 1
 PLDFADIFFPTS
Wakefield 0 0 0 0 0
Leeds 0 0 0 0 0
Hull KR 0 0 0 0 0
Warrington 0 0 0 0 0
Salford 0 0 0 0 0
Wigan 0 0 0 0 0
 
Hull FC 0 0 0 0 0
Catalans 0 0 0 0 0
Huddersfield 0 0 0 0 0
Leigh 0 0 0 0 0
St.Helens 0 0 0 0 0
Castleford 0 0 0 0 0
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POST
TOPIC
POSTER
POSTS
FORUM
LAST
VIEW
TOPIC
POSTER
POSTS
0s
Game - Song Titles 20212
chissitt
18112
3s
BORED The Band Name Game
Boss Hog
35423
20s
The ONLY LUFC Football Thread
Jack Burton
4348
24s
Harrison
sally cinnam
25
26s
Rumours and signings v9
Cruncher
24932
36s
As the festive season is nearly upon us
Judder Man
5
38s
Jacob Hookem
steadygetyer
1
46s
Blake and Nene left whos incoming
Snowy
34
1m
Seen in last weeks League Express
glee
1
1m
Home kit23
CM Punk
21
FORUM
NEW
TOPICS
TOPIC
POSTER
POSTS
TODAY
Seen in last weeks League Express
glee
1
TODAY
The annual how will 2022/23 SL finish the regular season
Smiffy27
3
TODAY
Kits for 2023
Septimius Se
1
TODAY
Seen in last weeks League Express
glee
1
TODAY
We Are Moving to the East Stand
Deadcowboys1
9
TODAY
Seen in last weeks League Express
glee
1
TODAY
Jacob Hookem
steadygetyer
1
TODAY
Seen in last weeks League Express
glee
1
NEWS ITEMS
VIEWS
Australia World Champions Agai..
6516
Jillaroos Demolish the Ferns t..
2516
England Beat France in Nail-bi..
3392
New Zealand Ferns Final Bound ..
2139
Australia Power Into Womens Fi..
2215
Samoa Into the Final As Englis..
2659
Australia Squeeze Into The Fin..
5039
Jilleroos Scrape Home Against ..
2508
Cook Islands Sign Off With Vic..
3108
England 19-man squad for RLWC ..
3011
St Helens to face Penrith Pant..
2973
England Top Group A With Big W..
2659
Canada End World Cup With Tigh..
3709
Record Breaking Masterclass fr..
3721
Ferns Win As Cooks Score First..
3034


Visit the RLFANS.COM SHOP
for more merchandise!