RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
23 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!
WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Smith for England
No
Team
Selected
CobraCraig
Member for 16 years
Free-scoring winger




Joined: Tue Jan 23, 2007 12:11 pm
Posts: 1670
Smith for England : Tue Sep 27, 2022 11:31 am  
I believe Harry Smith isn’t in the Wales squad which points to him being in the England squad for the World Cup. I see on social media a lot of other teams fans in uproar and saying he’s only been picked because he plays for Wigan and the Wane link but I think he deserves it, I don’t have many I would have in front of him. Lomax will probably miss it through injury, Welsby better at 1 imo, Hastings has been out for a while after a bad injury, Williams coming off the back of a poor season, Mikey Lewis has the X factor and comes up with some brilliant plays but I believe Smith is the better more rounded player currently imo. Either way if it’s true congratulations and some turnaround after a lot thought he would struggle to establish himself in the Wigan 13,
NickyKiss
Member for 18 years
Gold RLFANS Member

User avatar


Joined: Mon Nov 08, 2004 10:38 am
Posts: 27597
Location: WIGAN
Re: Smith for England : Tue Sep 27, 2022 11:50 am  
Not sure why anybody would be annoyed if he is. He’s had a terrific season, has played well in big games, has a history of playing well in academy rugby against the Aussies and offers a nice balance to more off the cuff players like Williams or Welsby (who I expect to play in the halves).

I get the feeling he will be in and sadly I think it’ll be because Lomax will rule himself out of contention but if that is the case, I can’t think of many other options we could turn to.
No
Team
Selected
sergeant pepper
Member for 11 years
Bronze RLFANS Member

User avatar


Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2012 7:01 pm
Posts: 3351
Location: In the sky with diamonds
Re: Smith for England : Tue Sep 27, 2022 11:54 am  
CobraCraig wrote:
I believe Harry Smith isn’t in the Wales squad which points to him being in the England squad for the World Cup. I see on social media a lot of other teams fans in uproar and saying he’s only been picked because he plays for Wigan and the Wane link but I think he deserves it, I don’t have many I would have in front of him. Lomax will probably miss it through injury, Welsby better at 1 imo, Hastings has been out for a while after a bad injury, Williams coming off the back of a poor season, Mikey Lewis has the X factor and comes up with some brilliant plays but I believe Smith is the better more rounded player currently imo. Either way if it’s true congratulations and some turnaround after a lot thought he would struggle to establish himself in the Wigan 13,


Other fans are the exact reason why I don't follow international RL. If you listen to them, then you'd think we'd come bottom of the league. Every one of our players is a grub/overrated/bang average etc, whilst they laud over the actually bang average Joe in their side.

I'll save my money and time for Wigan thank you.
22 LEAGUE TITLES
20 CHALLENGE CUPS
4 WORLD TITLES
SAYS IT ALL REALLY
No
Team
Selected
jonh
Member for 20 years


User avatar


Joined: Tue May 27, 2003 3:21 pm
Posts: 19186
Location: educating League Freak on all things rugby league
Re: Smith for England : Tue Sep 27, 2022 11:58 am  
I though he saved one of his worst performances of the year for the Leeds semi, however I don’t think on the basis of most of this season he can be left out of the squad.

Personally I’d go with Lomax and Welsby as they have played together for long parts of the season as a pair.

Assuming Lomax is out I’d have to go with Williams over Smith simply because he has proven to be capable of playing at a higher level so far in his career.

I think Smith will get a chance to play himself into the team though and the way he has progressed under Peet there is no reason he shouldn’t be starting 7 for England in the next World Cup.
Unofficially the most boring poster on Cherry and White.
FearTheVee
Member for 20 years


User avatar


Joined: Thu Sep 26, 2002 12:57 pm
Posts: 11264
Location: Much too far South
Re: Smith for England : Tue Sep 27, 2022 12:32 pm  
sergeant pepper wrote:
Other fans are the exact reason why I don't follow international RL. If you listen to them, then you'd think we'd come bottom of the league. Every one of our players is a grub/overrated/bang average etc, whilst they laud over the actually bang average Joe in their side.

I'll save my money and time for Wigan thank you.


Or just ignore them, enjoy the world cup and support whoever has an England shirt on?
Wigg'n
Member for 12 years
Silver RLFANS Member




Joined: Wed May 11, 2011 10:08 am
Posts: 7379
Re: Smith for England : Tue Sep 27, 2022 12:38 pm  
jonh wrote:
I though he saved one of his worst performances of the year for the Leeds semi, however I don’t think on the basis of most of this season he can be left out of the squad.

Personally I’d go with Lomax and Welsby as they have played together for long parts of the season as a pair.

Assuming Lomax is out I’d have to go with Williams over Smith simply because he has proven to be capable of playing at a higher level so far in his career.

I think Smith will get a chance to play himself into the team though and the way he has progressed under Peet there is no reason he shouldn’t be starting 7 for England in the next World Cup.


Agreed. Smith will be there as cover I expect.

Wouldn't be surprised to see Welsby alongside Sneyd, although Sneyd's defence is probably the weakest of all the halves so Wane will probably stick with Williams.

I do also prefer Welsby at 1 but Tomkins is obviously going to play there.
MadDogg
Member for 18 years
Silver RLFANS Member

User avatar


Joined: Mon Feb 21, 2005 10:14 am
Posts: 8485
Location: Edinburgh
Re: Smith for England : Tue Sep 27, 2022 1:04 pm  
A Welsby/Williams combo doesn't feel right to me. Sneyd would be the best candidate to replace Lomax - he at least has a good long kicking game on his day and he was in good form towards the end of the year to be fair to him.

Hopefully Lomax will play - if he doesn't it probably speaks volumes about club/country priorities.
No
Team
Selected
bazdev
Member for 19 years
Cheeky half-back




Joined: Thu Sep 04, 2003 4:19 pm
Posts: 675
Re: Smith for England : Tue Sep 27, 2022 1:39 pm  
I would worry about Harry Smith defence if he's picked for England. For that reason alone I would go Williams and Welsby.

I can see England struggling badly and you wouldn't want Smith being made a scapegoat of as he is clearly a confidence player.

I can't see us beating Samoa in game 1 which will likely mean a QF with Tonga and an early exit
No
Team
Selected
CobraCraig
Member for 16 years
Free-scoring winger




Joined: Tue Jan 23, 2007 12:11 pm
Posts: 1670
Re: Smith for England : Tue Sep 27, 2022 1:48 pm  
MadDogg wrote:
A Welsby/Williams combo doesn't feel right to me. Sneyd would be the best candidate to replace Lomax - he at least has a good long kicking game on his day and he was in good form towards the end of the year to be fair to him.

Hopefully Lomax will play - if he doesn't it probably speaks volumes about club/country priorities.


Smith has a good long kicking game and was on form nearly all of last season.
NickyKiss
Member for 18 years
Gold RLFANS Member

User avatar


Joined: Mon Nov 08, 2004 10:38 am
Posts: 27597
Location: WIGAN
Re: Smith for England : Tue Sep 27, 2022 2:20 pm  
bazdev wrote:
I would worry about Harry Smith defence if he's picked for England. For that reason alone I would go Williams and Welsby.

I can see England struggling badly and you wouldn't want Smith being made a scapegoat of as he is clearly a confidence player.

I can't see us beating Samoa in game 1 which will likely mean a QF with Tonga and an early exit


Tonga might not be as strong as in previous years, so I wouldn’t rule us out regardless of that first fixture. Samoa named their squad last night and we’ve a job on that’s for sure but I again wouldn’t rule us out of beating them. I’d say with home advantage it’s a pretty even game.

It should be a fantastic tournament anyway. The likes of Samoa, Tonga, Fiji and PNG are bringing great competition for the traditional big three now. Australia still look comfortably the best side on paper but you never know.
Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 113 guests

REPLY

Subject: 
Message:
   
Please note using apple style emoji's can result in posting failures.
Use the FULL EDITOR to better format content or upload images, be notified of replies etc...

Return to Wigan Warriors


RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POST
TOPIC
POSTER
POSTS
FORUM
LAST
VIEW
TOPIC
POSTER
POSTS
15s
Squad numbers - full list in first post
Mr Bliss
121
40s
Rumours and signings v9
Cruncher
24932
44s
Transfer talk
Pyrah123
717
1m
Pre season
RockNRolla
140
1m
Seen in last weeks League Express
glee
1
2m
We Are Moving to the East Stand
Deadcowboys1
9
2m
Game - Song Titles 20212
Boss Hog
18111
2m
2023 squad numbers
HuddsRL5
11
3m
2023 preparations
Jimmythecuck
46
3m
The ONLY LUFC Football Thread
Jack Burton
4348
FORUM
NEW
TOPICS
TOPIC
POSTER
POSTS
TODAY
Seen in last weeks League Express
glee
1
TODAY
The annual how will 2022/23 SL finish the regular season
Smiffy27
3
TODAY
Kits for 2023
Septimius Se
1
TODAY
Seen in last weeks League Express
glee
1
TODAY
We Are Moving to the East Stand
Deadcowboys1
9
TODAY
Seen in last weeks League Express
glee
1
TODAY
Jacob Hookem
steadygetyer
1
TODAY
Seen in last weeks League Express
glee
1
NEWS ITEMS
VIEWS
Australia World Champions Agai..
6501
Jillaroos Demolish the Ferns t..
2502
England Beat France in Nail-bi..
3385
New Zealand Ferns Final Bound ..
2130
Australia Power Into Womens Fi..
2210
Samoa Into the Final As Englis..
2649
Australia Squeeze Into The Fin..
5036
Jilleroos Scrape Home Against ..
2503
Cook Islands Sign Off With Vic..
3105
England 19-man squad for RLWC ..
3007
St Helens to face Penrith Pant..
2966
England Top Group A With Big W..
2653
Canada End World Cup With Tigh..
3701
Record Breaking Masterclass fr..
3712
Ferns Win As Cooks Score First..
3028
POSTSONLINEMEMBERSRECORD
19.4Million 1,277 79,3239,323
LOGIN HERE
or REGISTER for more features!.

When you register you get access to the live match scores, live match chat and you can post in the discussions on the forums.
RLFANS Match Centre
 Sat 18th Feb 2023
     Mens Super League XXVIII-R1
13:00
Hull KR
v
Wigan
 Fri 24th Feb 2023
     Mens Super League XXVIII-R2
20:00
Wigan
v
Wakefield
 Fri 3rd Mar 2023
     Mens Super League XXVIII-R3
20:00
Castleford
v
Wigan
 Thu 9th Mar 2023
     Mens Super League XXVIII-R4
20:00
Wigan
v
Catalans
 Fri 17th Mar 2023
     Mens Super League XXVIII-R5
19:45
Huddersfield
v
Wigan
 Fri 24th Mar 2023
     Mens Super League XXVIII-R6
20:00
Wigan
v
Salford
 Thu 30th Mar 2023
     Mens Super League XXVIII-R7
20:00
Leigh
v
Wigan
 Fri 7th Apr 2023
     Mens Super League XXVIII-R8
15:00
Wigan
v
St.Helens
 Fri 14th Apr 2023
     Mens Super League XXVIII-R9
20:00
Warrington
v
Wigan
 Sun 23rd Apr 2023
     Mens Super League XXVIII-R10
15:00
Wigan
v
Wakefield
ALL SCORES PROVIDED BY RLFANS.COM (SETTINGS)
Matches on TV
Thu 16th Feb
SL-M
20:00
Warrington-Leeds
Fri 17th Feb
SL-M
20:00
Leigh-Salford
Sat 18th Feb
SL-M
13:00
Hull KR-Wigan
WCC2023
07:00
Penrith-St.Helens
Thu 23rd Feb
SL-M
20:00
Salford-Hull KR
Fri 24th Feb
SL-M
20:00
Leeds-Hull FC
Sun 26th Feb
SL-M
13:00
Castleford-St.Helens
Thu 2nd Mar
SL-M
20:00
Warrington-Salford
Fri 3rd Mar
SL-M
20:00
St.Helens-Leeds
Thu 9th Mar
SL-M
20:00
Wigan-Catalans
Fri 10th Mar
SL-M
20:00
Huddersfield-Castleford
Thu 16th Mar
SL-M
20:00
Castleford-Leeds
Thu 23rd Mar
SL-M
20:00
Huddersfield-St.Helens
Sat 25th Mar
SL-M
13:00
Leeds-Castleford
Thu 30th Mar
SL-M
20:00
Leigh-Wigan
Sat 1st Apr
SL-M
13:00
Warrington-Hull FC
Thu 6th Apr
SL-M
20:00
Castleford-Wakefield
Fri 7th Apr
SL-M
12:30
Hull FC-Hull KR
SL-M
15:00
Wigan-St.Helens
Thu 13th Apr
SL-M
20:00
Salford-Castleford
This is an inplay table and live positions can change.
Mens Betfred Super League XXVIII ROUND : 1
 PLDFADIFFPTS
St.Helens 0 0 0 0 0
Castleford 0 0 0 0 0
Wakefield 0 0 0 0 0
Leeds 0 0 0 0 0
Hull KR 0 0 0 0 0
Warrington 0 0 0 0 0
 
Salford 0 0 0 0 0
Wigan 0 0 0 0 0
Hull FC 0 0 0 0 0
Catalans 0 0 0 0 0
Huddersfield 0 0 0 0 0
Leigh 0 0 0 0 0
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POST
TOPIC
POSTER
POSTS
FORUM
LAST
VIEW
TOPIC
POSTER
POSTS
15s
Squad numbers - full list in first post
Mr Bliss
121
40s
Rumours and signings v9
Cruncher
24932
44s
Transfer talk
Pyrah123
717
1m
Pre season
RockNRolla
140
1m
Seen in last weeks League Express
glee
1
2m
We Are Moving to the East Stand
Deadcowboys1
9
2m
Game - Song Titles 20212
Boss Hog
18111
2m
2023 squad numbers
HuddsRL5
11
3m
2023 preparations
Jimmythecuck
46
3m
The ONLY LUFC Football Thread
Jack Burton
4348
FORUM
NEW
TOPICS
TOPIC
POSTER
POSTS
TODAY
Seen in last weeks League Express
glee
1
TODAY
The annual how will 2022/23 SL finish the regular season
Smiffy27
3
TODAY
Kits for 2023
Septimius Se
1
TODAY
Seen in last weeks League Express
glee
1
TODAY
We Are Moving to the East Stand
Deadcowboys1
9
TODAY
Seen in last weeks League Express
glee
1
TODAY
Jacob Hookem
steadygetyer
1
TODAY
Seen in last weeks League Express
glee
1
NEWS ITEMS
VIEWS
Australia World Champions Agai..
6501
Jillaroos Demolish the Ferns t..
2502
England Beat France in Nail-bi..
3385
New Zealand Ferns Final Bound ..
2130
Australia Power Into Womens Fi..
2210
Samoa Into the Final As Englis..
2649
Australia Squeeze Into The Fin..
5036
Jilleroos Scrape Home Against ..
2503
Cook Islands Sign Off With Vic..
3105
England 19-man squad for RLWC ..
3007
St Helens to face Penrith Pant..
2966
England Top Group A With Big W..
2653
Canada End World Cup With Tigh..
3701
Record Breaking Masterclass fr..
3712
Ferns Win As Cooks Score First..
3028


Visit the RLFANS.COM SHOP
for more merchandise!