RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
23 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!
WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Welsby
Re: Welsby Fri Sep 23, 2022 2:20 pm  
Re: Welsby
Fri Sep 23, 2022 2:20 pm  

Trainman wrote:
Trainman Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2016 3:59 pm
Posts: 1675
Member for 7 years
If he had inserted ‘one of’ then I’d say he has a fair point.
Re: Welsby Fri Sep 23, 2022 2:34 pm  
Re: Welsby
Fri Sep 23, 2022 2:34 pm  

Stu M wrote:
Stu M Strong-running second rower
Strong-running second rower

Joined: Tue Feb 22, 2022 9:43 am
Posts: 384
Member for 1 year
Egg Chasing wrote:
SL isn't a level playing field neither and won't be until every club spends up to the cap, has the same reserves/academy status etc etc.


Its a hell of a lot more of a level playing field than in your era of dominance.

As evidenced by the fact that we play our 4th different opponent in 4 years tomorrow.
Re: Welsby Fri Sep 23, 2022 2:37 pm  
Re: Welsby
Fri Sep 23, 2022 2:37 pm  

User avatarEgg Chasing wrote:
Egg Chasing User avatar
Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:14 pm
Posts: 3903
Location: Watching Rugby League
Member for 10 years
Stu M wrote:
Its a hell of a lot more of a level playing field than in your era of dominance.

As evidenced by the fact that we play our 4th different opponent in 4 years tomorrow.


We played a different team in the cup in 1990 1991 1992 1993 and 1994. (and played 6 different teams in 8 years)

You're right though :SLEEPY:

We should just hand our trophies back to be fair I suppose.
Re: Welsby Fri Sep 23, 2022 2:40 pm  
Re: Welsby
Fri Sep 23, 2022 2:40 pm  

Stu M wrote:
Stu M Strong-running second rower
Strong-running second rower

Joined: Tue Feb 22, 2022 9:43 am
Posts: 384
Member for 1 year
Egg Chasing wrote:
We played a different team in the cup in 1990 1991 1992 1993 and 1994. (and played 6 different teams in 8 years)

You're right though :SLEEPY:

We should just hand our trophies back to be fair I suppose.


Ah yeah. A Cup competition where the likes of Sheffield Eagles can get there by winning 3 games.

Compare that to a play off structure where a team has to finish top 5/6 to get there.

Yeah its definitely the same.
Re: Welsby Fri Sep 23, 2022 2:44 pm  
Re: Welsby
Fri Sep 23, 2022 2:44 pm  

User avatarEgg Chasing wrote:
Egg Chasing User avatar
Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:14 pm
Posts: 3903
Location: Watching Rugby League
Member for 10 years
Stu M wrote:
shifts goalposts to try to suit argument
Re: Welsby Fri Sep 23, 2022 2:46 pm  
Re: Welsby
Fri Sep 23, 2022 2:46 pm  

Stu M wrote:
Stu M Strong-running second rower
Strong-running second rower

Joined: Tue Feb 22, 2022 9:43 am
Posts: 384
Member for 1 year
Egg Chasing wrote:
Realises he has lost the argument so makes daft comment
Re: Welsby Fri Sep 23, 2022 2:56 pm  
Re: Welsby
Fri Sep 23, 2022 2:56 pm  

User avatarEgg Chasing wrote:
Egg Chasing User avatar
Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:14 pm
Posts: 3903
Location: Watching Rugby League
Member for 10 years
[quote="Stu M"][/quote]

Ok then, I'll bite.....

It was a first past the post system back then....let's look at the league tables for our SEVEN wins in a row looking at the top 3 (or equivalent)

89/90

Wigan 40
Leeds 36
Widnes 34
Bradford 34
Saints 34

90/91

Wigan 42
Widnes 40
Hull 34
Cas 34

91/92

Wigan 44
Saints 36
Cas 32

92/93

Wigan 41
Saints 41
Bradford 30
Widnes 30
Leeds 30
Cas 29

93/94

Wigan 46
Bradford 46
Warrington 46
Cas 39
Halifax 36

94/95

Wigan 56
Leeds 49
Cas 42

95/96

Wigan 36
Leeds 28
Halifax 25

So that's 4 different teams that finished 2nd (4 in 5 years) and a total of 8 different sides that were involved in the top 3.
Two seasons won on PD.
Two seasons won by 4 points or less.

So in our period of dominance we won only 3 titles "easily"
Re: Welsby Fri Sep 23, 2022 3:02 pm  
Re: Welsby
Fri Sep 23, 2022 3:02 pm  

Stu M wrote:
Stu M Strong-running second rower
Strong-running second rower

Joined: Tue Feb 22, 2022 9:43 am
Posts: 384
Member for 1 year
I'm not sure what you are trying to prove here. I have never said we are the greatest team in Rugby League history nor have I ever denied that Wigan are statistically the most successful club.

Indeed I even admit that you are traditionally a bigger club.

My argument is that Saints aren't given due credit for what we have done in the SL era. Every time this has been brought up the retort has been "Yeah but RL existed before SL" or "Yeah but you played less games than anyone else during COVID" or Nicky Kiss's favourite one "There aren't any good teams anymore, the game is getting worse..."

That's my annoyance and why I am so argumentative about it.

The level of consistency we have shown has been staggering. Tomorrow is our 14th Final. In a salary capped sport its bloody impressive
Re: Welsby Fri Sep 23, 2022 3:04 pm  
Re: Welsby
Fri Sep 23, 2022 3:04 pm  

User avatarEgg Chasing wrote:
Egg Chasing User avatar
Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:14 pm
Posts: 3903
Location: Watching Rugby League
Member for 10 years
Adding more to it....

Challenge Cup then - 7 teams in 8 seasons (including us)
Challenge Cup now - 9 teams in 8 seasons

So the levelling of the playing field has brought an additional two teams to the cup final.

League winners in 25 years (seeing as this is the 25th grand final)

Super League - 4 - Wigan, Saints, Bradford, Leeds
Championship - 12 - Leeds, Dewsbury, Salford, Saints, Fev, Widnes, Hull KR, Bradford, Leigh, Hull FC, Halifax, Wigan

And has lost 8 league winners and gone from 1 winner every 2 years (give or take) to one every 6 (give or take)
Re: Welsby Fri Sep 23, 2022 3:07 pm  
Re: Welsby
Fri Sep 23, 2022 3:07 pm  

User avatarEgg Chasing wrote:
Egg Chasing User avatar
Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:14 pm
Posts: 3903
Location: Watching Rugby League
Member for 10 years
Stu M wrote:
I'm not sure what you are trying to prove here. I have never said we are the greatest team in Rugby League history nor have I ever denied that Wigan are statistically the most successful club.

Indeed I even admit that you are traditionally a bigger club.

My argument is that Saints aren't given due credit for what we have done in the SL era. Every time this has been brought up the retort has been "Yeah but RL existed before SL" or "Yeah but you played less games than anyone else during COVID" or Nicky Kiss's favourite one "There aren't any good teams anymore, the game is getting worse..."

That's my annoyance and why I am so argumentative about it.

The level of consistency we have shown has been staggering. Tomorrow is our 14th Final. In a salary capped sport its bloody impressive


You claimed it was a level playing field now in an attempt to undermine our success like every fan of every other club does which as I've evidenced it clearly isn't.

Stu M wrote:
Its a hell of a lot more of a level playing field than in your era of dominance.

As evidenced by the fact that we play our 4th different opponent in 4 years tomorrow.


You also said.....................

Stu M wrote:
Serious question then. You think both era's are comparable and both were a level playing field?
PreviousNext

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Allez, Cruncher, Douglas Black, exiled Warrior, GrahamBray, hatty, Jason65, Jukesays, LesG, MOUSE13, NickyKiss, nidger, sergeant pepper, spartakmixtapes, tedglen and 264 guests

REPLY

Subject: 
Message:
   
Please note using apple style emoji's can result in posting failures.
Use the FULL EDITOR to better format content or upload images, be notified of replies etc...

Return to Wigan Warriors