RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
23 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!
WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Matty Peet
Re: Matty Peet Wed Sep 21, 2022 10:28 am  
Re: Matty Peet
Wed Sep 21, 2022 10:28 am  

Phuzzy wrote:
Phuzzy Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Joined: Sun Nov 19, 2006 12:25 am
Posts: 4651
Location: Just about to go do some work!
Member for 16 years
I think the way to look at this is would Croft have won it at Wigan with Field and French taking points off him and the answer is "very unlikely". Unfortunately shows the award up for what it is.

We've had the outstanding player ALL season, who helped his team to Challenge Cup victory and second place in the league beaten by a player who's team finished sixth.

I like Croft and he's had a great season but most influential player in the league? Come on!
Re: Matty Peet Wed Sep 21, 2022 12:17 pm  
Re: Matty Peet
Wed Sep 21, 2022 12:17 pm  
sergeant pepper User avatar
Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2012 7:01 pm
Posts: 3341
Location: In the sky with diamonds
Member for 11 years
Phuzzy wrote:
I think the way to look at this is would Croft have won it at Wigan with Field and French taking points off him and the answer is "very unlikely". Unfortunately shows the award up for what it is.

We've had the outstanding player ALL season, who helped his team to Challenge Cup victory and second place in the league beaten by a player who's team finished sixth.

I like Croft and he's had a great season but most influential player in the league? Come on!


Spot on. It would never happen in Footy, who seem to (normally) get these decisions spot on. Salah or KDB win the award as they've played exceptionally well in exceptional sides. You don't get x player from a mid-level side (that's what Salford have been all year) winning it.
22 LEAGUE TITLES
20 CHALLENGE CUPS
4 WORLD TITLES
SAYS IT ALL REALLY
Re: Matty Peet Wed Sep 21, 2022 2:20 pm  
Re: Matty Peet
Wed Sep 21, 2022 2:20 pm  

Phuzzy wrote:
Phuzzy Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Joined: Sun Nov 19, 2006 12:25 am
Posts: 4651
Location: Just about to go do some work!
Member for 16 years
sergeant pepper wrote:
Spot on. It would never happen in Footy, who seem to (normally) get these decisions spot on. Salah or KDB win the award as they've played exceptionally well in exceptional sides. You don't get x player from a mid-level side (that's what Salford have been all year) winning it.

We also nilled his team en route to the Challenge Cup victory. Croft is an excellent player and I've enjoyed watching him play but how can a team who finished sixth, was poor for half the season and didn't win anything contain the MOS? It doesn't make sense.
Re: Matty Peet Thu Sep 22, 2022 3:40 pm  
Re: Matty Peet
Thu Sep 22, 2022 3:40 pm  
The Whiffy Kipper User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Joined: Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:40 am
Posts: 1780
Member for 6 years
I wonder if he will be as revered next year without the outside knowledge of Briers or will the insular knowledge of the assistant coaches be as good as Lee's?
All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.
Re: Matty Peet Fri Sep 23, 2022 8:37 am  
Re: Matty Peet
Fri Sep 23, 2022 8:37 am  

User avatarEgg Chasing wrote:
Egg Chasing User avatar
Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:14 pm
Posts: 3947
Location: Watching Rugby League
Member for 10 years
Phuzzy wrote:
We also nilled his team en route to the Challenge Cup victory. Croft is an excellent player and I've enjoyed watching him play but how can a team who finished sixth, was poor for half the season and didn't win anything contain the MOS? It doesn't make sense.


The best player in the league doesn't HAVE to play for the best team in the league.

Croft has had a great season and arguably carried Salford to where they are on his own. I've no arguments with him winning it, given how it's decided.
Re: Matty Peet Fri Sep 23, 2022 9:08 am  
Re: Matty Peet
Fri Sep 23, 2022 9:08 am  

User avatarNickyKiss wrote:
NickyKiss User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Joined: Mon Nov 08, 2004 10:38 am
Posts: 27589
Location: WIGAN
Member for 18 years
I couldn’t help be pleased for Croft when I saw his reaction to winning it. It sounded like he’s pretty much been harassed in Australia for his performances and it felt like he’d been pretty low before coming here. He was emotional and unlike the last Salford winner, I’m convinced he’s a genuine guy. He’s been superb for the majority of the season and had he been available to Salford last Saturday, I think we may have been looking at a different Grand Final. As Egg Chasing says he wins it in the current set up, so he deserves it. The way the award is decided is wrong IMO but I’ve thought that since they changed it and it isn’t a reaction to Croft winning it.
Re: Matty Peet Fri Sep 23, 2022 9:11 am  
Re: Matty Peet
Fri Sep 23, 2022 9:11 am  

Stu M wrote:
Stu M Strong-running second rower
Strong-running second rower

Joined: Tue Feb 22, 2022 9:43 am
Posts: 445
Member for 1 year
Still staggers me that should Saints win tomorrow then Woolf will have never lost a play off game in 3 years, 3 GF's, 1x CC trophy and 1x LLS thrown in for good measure and he still won't have won Coach of the Year.

Work that one out.
Re: Matty Peet Fri Sep 23, 2022 9:27 am  
Re: Matty Peet
Fri Sep 23, 2022 9:27 am  

User avatarEgg Chasing wrote:
Egg Chasing User avatar
Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:14 pm
Posts: 3947
Location: Watching Rugby League
Member for 10 years
Stu M wrote:
Still staggers me that should Saints win tomorrow then Woolf will have never lost a play off game in 3 years, 3 GF's, 1x CC trophy and 1x LLS thrown in for good measure and he still won't have won Coach of the Year.

Work that one out.


You're the best team in the league. Winning playoff games isn't a surprise. If anything by only winning 1 LLS and 1 CC he has failed because you were favourites for every single one.

Again - the best coach isn't necessarily the one that wins the big prize. It can be the one that exceeds expectation.
Re: Matty Peet Fri Sep 23, 2022 10:44 am  
Re: Matty Peet
Fri Sep 23, 2022 10:44 am  

User avatarMadDogg wrote:
MadDogg User avatar
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Joined: Mon Feb 21, 2005 10:14 am
Posts: 8478
Location: Edinburgh
Member for 18 years
Egg Chasing wrote:
You're the best team in the league. Winning playoff games isn't a surprise. If anything by only winning 1 LLS and 1 CC he has failed because you were favourites for every single one.

Again - the best coach isn't necessarily the one that wins the big prize. It can be the one that exceeds expectation.


It's usually given to the coach of the most improved side (rightly or wrongly).
Re: Matty Peet Fri Sep 23, 2022 10:54 am  
Re: Matty Peet
Fri Sep 23, 2022 10:54 am  

User avatarEgg Chasing wrote:
Egg Chasing User avatar
Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:14 pm
Posts: 3947
Location: Watching Rugby League
Member for 10 years
MadDogg wrote:
It's usually given to the coach of the most improved side (rightly or wrongly).


Exactly.
PreviousNext

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google Feedfetcher and 85 guests

REPLY

Subject: 
Message:
   
Please note using apple style emoji's can result in posting failures.
Use the FULL EDITOR to better format content or upload images, be notified of replies etc...

Return to Wigan Warriors


RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POST
TOPIC
POSTER
POSTS
FORUM
LAST
VIEW
TOPIC
POSTER
POSTS
19s
Shopping List 2023
ComeOnYouUll
3363
35s
Stadium and other issues
vastman
537
39s
Game - Song Titles 20212
Boss Hog
17665
59s
Harry Newman
christopher
6
1m
Rumours and signings v9
Pieman
24767
1m
Wane out
SouthStandRe
72
1m
2023 Squad Numbers
Frosties.
12
1m
BORED The Band Name Game
Boss Hog
34986
2m
Transfer Talk / Rumour thread V4
otleyrhino
2284
3m
Warrington re-sign ex-winger
TrinTrin
17
FORUM
NEW
TOPICS
TOPIC
POSTER
POSTS
TODAY
RIP Doddie Weir
Khlav Kalash
4
TODAY
Harry Newman
christopher
6
TODAY
Wire TV
Alffi_7
3
TODAY
Squad complete Whats your starting 13 4
Or thane
11
TODAY
Any more signings
Listenup94
7
TODAY
Shirts - Shop
hooligan27
1
TODAY
Riley Dean
Boss Hog
17
TODAY
Warrington re-sign ex-winger
TrinTrin
17
TODAY
Matty Russell signed
sally cinnam
68
TODAY
WCC 2023 TOUR DOWN UNDER
Foti with th
1
NEWS ITEMS
VIEWS
Australia World Champions Agai..
5347
Jillaroos Demolish the Ferns t..
1425
England Beat France in Nail-bi..
2412
New Zealand Ferns Final Bound ..
1311
Australia Power Into Womens Fi..
1378
Samoa Into the Final As Englis..
1555
Australia Squeeze Into The Fin..
1968
Jilleroos Scrape Home Against ..
1663
Cook Islands Sign Off With Vic..
2322
England 19-man squad for RLWC ..
2318
St Helens to face Penrith Pant..
2245
England Top Group A With Big W..
1961
Canada End World Cup With Tigh..
1749
Record Breaking Masterclass fr..
2892
Ferns Win As Cooks Score First..
2295
POSTSONLINEMEMBERSRECORD
19.4Million 835 ↓-579,3049,323
LOGIN HERE
or REGISTER for more features!.

When you register you get access to the live match scores, live match chat and you can post in the discussions on the forums.
RLFANS Match Centre
 Sat 18th Feb 2023
     Mens Super League XXVIII-R1
13:00
Hull KR
v
Wigan
 Fri 24th Feb 2023
     Mens Super League XXVIII-R2
20:00
Wigan
v
Wakefield
 Fri 3rd Mar 2023
     Mens Super League XXVIII-R3
20:00
Castleford
v
Wigan
 Thu 9th Mar 2023
     Mens Super League XXVIII-R4
20:00
Wigan
v
Catalans
ALL SCORES PROVIDED BY RLFANS.COM (SETTINGS)
Matches on TV
Thu 16th Feb
SL-M
20:00
Warrington-Leeds
Fri 17th Feb
SL-M
20:00
Leigh-Salford
Sat 18th Feb
SL-M
13:00
Hull KR-Wigan
WCC2022
07:00
Penrith-St.Helens
Thu 23rd Feb
SL-M
20:00
Salford-Hull KR
Fri 24th Feb
SL-M
20:00
Leeds-Hull FC
Sun 26th Feb
SL-M
13:00
Castleford-St.Helens
Thu 2nd Mar
SL-M
20:00
Warrington-Salford
Fri 3rd Mar
SL-M
20:00
St.Helens-Leeds
Thu 9th Mar
SL-M
20:00
Wigan-Catalans
Fri 10th Mar
SL-M
20:00
Huddersfield-Castleford
Sat 19th Nov
WC2022 6 Australia M30-10Samoa M
WWC2022 5 Australia W54-4New Zealand W
This is an inplay table and live positions can change.
Mens Betfred Super League XXVIII ROUND : 1
 PLDFADIFFPTS
Huddersfield 0 0 0 0 0
Leigh 0 0 0 0 0
St.Helens 0 0 0 0 0
Castleford 0 0 0 0 0
Wakefield 0 0 0 0 0
Leeds 0 0 0 0 0
 
Hull KR 0 0 0 0 0
Warrington 0 0 0 0 0
Salford 0 0 0 0 0
Wigan 0 0 0 0 0
Hull FC 0 0 0 0 0
Catalans 0 0 0 0 0
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POST
TOPIC
POSTER
POSTS
FORUM
LAST
VIEW
TOPIC
POSTER
POSTS
19s
Shopping List 2023
ComeOnYouUll
3363
35s
Stadium and other issues
vastman
537
39s
Game - Song Titles 20212
Boss Hog
17665
59s
Harry Newman
christopher
6
1m
Rumours and signings v9
Pieman
24767
1m
Wane out
SouthStandRe
72
1m
2023 Squad Numbers
Frosties.
12
1m
BORED The Band Name Game
Boss Hog
34986
2m
Transfer Talk / Rumour thread V4
otleyrhino
2284
3m
Warrington re-sign ex-winger
TrinTrin
17
FORUM
NEW
TOPICS
TOPIC
POSTER
POSTS
TODAY
RIP Doddie Weir
Khlav Kalash
4
TODAY
Harry Newman
christopher
6
TODAY
Wire TV
Alffi_7
3
TODAY
Squad complete Whats your starting 13 4
Or thane
11
TODAY
Any more signings
Listenup94
7
TODAY
Shirts - Shop
hooligan27
1
TODAY
Riley Dean
Boss Hog
17
TODAY
Warrington re-sign ex-winger
TrinTrin
17
TODAY
Matty Russell signed
sally cinnam
68
TODAY
WCC 2023 TOUR DOWN UNDER
Foti with th
1
NEWS ITEMS
VIEWS
Australia World Champions Agai..
5347
Jillaroos Demolish the Ferns t..
1425
England Beat France in Nail-bi..
2412
New Zealand Ferns Final Bound ..
1311
Australia Power Into Womens Fi..
1378
Samoa Into the Final As Englis..
1555
Australia Squeeze Into The Fin..
1968
Jilleroos Scrape Home Against ..
1663
Cook Islands Sign Off With Vic..
2322
England 19-man squad for RLWC ..
2318
St Helens to face Penrith Pant..
2245
England Top Group A With Big W..
1961
Canada End World Cup With Tigh..
1749
Record Breaking Masterclass fr..
2892
Ferns Win As Cooks Score First..
2295


Visit the RLFANS.COM SHOP
for more merchandise!