FORUMS FORUMS







RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

  
 Current LIVE TV Match : Castleford Tigers 30 - 16 Hull FC LIVE ON SKY SPORTS Chan Try, Reynolds Goal
 Current LIVE TV Match : Huddersfield Giants 4 - 14 Leigh Leopards LIVE ON SKY SPORTS Hewitt Try, Not Converted
 Current LIVE TV Match : St.Helens 34 - 10 Leeds Rhinos LIVE ON SKY SPORTS Makinson Try
WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Wigan v Sts discussion - THIS THREAD ONLY PLEASE
Re: Wigan v Sts discussion : Thu Jul 21, 2022 7:17 am  
Jason65 wrote:
Lam great player less so being a coach,
I like it when you point out You take French an Field out we dont score as much you take welsby out and you Poss dont win the final,you Take Marshall out we dont beat you lot in semi and win final,you take Tommy out we dont win the final as he stated the last play you take Batchelor out you dont win the Derby in other words it is irrelevant all this if they dont play scenario as they did and it would pan out differently but we will never know the outcome.
All I know is Peet has got this team playing some brilliant rugby ,Lam didnt. And I believe we are as good as Saints if not better as the only trophy up for grabs we have and we beat Saints on our way.Lets just see how this season pans out who ever wins the Grand Final will be the best team this year.


You are not better than us just because you won a knockout game. However I will admit the gap is closing and closing quicker with all the disruption we have had this season to key players - Dodd season ender in April, Hopoate barely played, Makinson a month, Percival 3 months, Grace 4 months, Lomax playing through a bad injury, Matautia 2 months, LMS a month. The list goes on and that's without the suspensions. For us still to be 4 points clear at the top is a testament to our resilience and competitive nature.

If you split the 3 games we've played this season against you and split it into minutes, how many would you say of those that you were the better team? I'd give you 20 mins on Good Friday, 40 in the semi final and 30 at Magic. That's a lot of minutes where we were dominant across the 3 games. That's 150 mins for us and 90 mins for you.

Of course that's just my opinion.
Re: Wigan v Sts discussion : Thu Jul 21, 2022 8:12 am  
Have Saints had injuries this season? Nobody mentioned it.
Re: Wigan v Sts discussion : Thu Jul 21, 2022 8:52 am  
Stu M wrote:
If you split the 3 games we've played this season against you and split it into minutes, how many would you say of those that you were the better team? I'd give you 20 mins on Good Friday, 40 in the semi final and 30 at Magic. That's a lot of minutes where we were dominant across the 3 games. That's 150 mins for us and 90 mins for you.

Of course that's just my opinion.

That Magic performance is the one that has encouraged me the most. We were really poor that day (I know you were missing key players, we were missing a few also), but still looked the much better team. Saints were pretty blunt with the amount of ball they had; I'd love to see the stats of the game in terms of territory and possession etc. Yes, Saints are rightly favourites for future meetings and the GF, which I am pretty sure, will be contested between the two sides, but the gap is closing at a fair old rate.

Great debate though, keep it coming!
Re: Wigan v Sts discussion : Thu Jul 21, 2022 9:04 am  
LewCharnock wrote:
That Magic performance is the one that has encouraged me the most. We were really poor that day (I know you were missing key players, we were missing a few also), but still looked the much better team. Saints were pretty blunt with the amount of ball they had; I'd love to see the stats of the game in terms of territory and possession etc. Yes, Saints are rightly favourites for future meetings and the GF, which I am pretty sure, will be contested between the two sides, but the gap is closing at a fair old rate.

Great debate though, keep it coming!


You thought you were the better team at Magic? Interesting. I did feel you defended superbly in that first 20 mins to be fair, we had a lot of possession and didn't really look like scoring.

Our attack has looked blunt at times due to the constant changes. Missing Makinson and Percival has affected us more so on the kick returns and getting us on the front foot.
Re: Wigan v Sts discussion : Thu Jul 21, 2022 9:11 am  
Stu M wrote:
You are not better than us just because you won a knockout game. However I will admit the gap is closing and closing quicker with all the disruption we have had this season to key players - Dodd season ender in April, Hopoate barely played, Makinson a month, Percival 3 months, Grace 4 months, Lomax playing through a bad injury, Matautia 2 months, LMS a month. The list goes on and that's without the suspensions. For us still to be 4 points clear at the top is a testament to our resilience and competitive nature.

If you split the 3 games we've played this season against you and split it into minutes, how many would you say of those that you were the better team? I'd give you 20 mins on Good Friday, 40 in the semi final and 30 at Magic. That's a lot of minutes where we were dominant across the 3 games. That's 150 mins for us and 90 mins for you.

Of course that's just my opinion.

We are as good if not better as we have won the only trophy on offer.
Now, we have had missing this season,French,Cust,Tommy,Ellis,Powell,Thornley Singleton,etc etc etc .
If you split the 3 games -2 wins to Saints 1 win to Wigan on our way to winning the final ,you get 4 points we get a trophy-that is why we are better this season so far if you win the final you are rightly the best team this season if we win we would have won the double maybe the treble and rightly we would be the best team this season.
Of course this is my opinion but based on fact.
Re: Wigan v Sts discussion : Thu Jul 21, 2022 9:26 am  
Jason65 wrote:
We are as good if not better as we have won the only trophy on offer.
Now, we have had missing this season,French,Cust,Tommy,Ellis,Powell,Thornley Singleton,etc etc etc .
If you split the 3 games -2 wins to Saints 1 win to Wigan on our way to winning the final ,you get 4 points we get a trophy-that is why we are better this season so far if you win the final you are rightly the best team this season if we win we would have won the double maybe the treble and rightly we would be the best team this season.
Of course this is my opinion but based on fact.


You have had a better season so far in that you have a trophy and we don't. That doesn't mean you have been the better team so far. There is a big difference there.
Re: Wigan v Sts discussion : Thu Jul 21, 2022 9:29 am  
LewCharnock wrote:
That Magic performance is the one that has encouraged me the most. We were really poor that day (I know you were missing key players, we were missing a few also), but still looked the much better team. Saints were pretty blunt with the amount of ball they had; I'd love to see the stats of the game in terms of territory and possession etc. Yes, Saints are rightly favourites for future meetings and the GF, which I am pretty sure, will be contested between the two sides, but the gap is closing at a fair old rate.

Great debate though, keep it coming!


Quite shocked at this. I thought territorially we battered you personally and said this on here after the game. In terms of metres made on the day we were over 400m more than you for example (despite you scoring from two long range breaks from Field and french too). We also made more carries and you made more tackles. So in terms of both possession and territory we were on top. You were forever finishing sets in your own half. We were camped in your half for the start of the game but I don't recall us being under the pump on our line for long spells.

What you do have though is that "X-factor" that we don't have. In Field and French you have players who can literally score from anywhere on the field and they've proven that time and again (including at Magic).

I think games between the two sides will follow similar patterns for the time being. We will get on top in the middle and win the field position battle and try and pick off our chances when they come. Whereas Wigan will almost accept they will get less field position but they'll know they can burn us from anywhere on the field.

It's a real contrasting battle of styles and it could go either way when we meet up again.
Last edited by The Yellow Giraffe on Thu Jul 21, 2022 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Re: Wigan v Sts discussion : Thu Jul 21, 2022 9:42 am  
Makinson has played more games than French
Dodd has played more games than Leuluai
Hopoate and Percival have played more games than Thornley
Matautia has played more games than Pearce-Paul
Re: Wigan v Sts discussion : Thu Jul 21, 2022 9:53 am  
Stu M wrote:
You are not better than us just because you won a knockout game. However I will admit the gap is closing and closing quicker with all the disruption we have had this season to key players - Dodd season ender in April, Hopoate barely played, Makinson a month, Percival 3 months, Grace 4 months, Lomax playing through a bad injury, Matautia 2 months, LMS a month. The list goes on and that's without the suspensions. For us still to be 4 points clear at the top is a testament to our resilience and competitive nature.

If you split the 3 games we've played this season against you and split it into minutes, how many would you say of those that you were the better team? I'd give you 20 mins on Good Friday, 40 in the semi final and 30 at Magic. That's a lot of minutes where we were dominant across the 3 games. That's 150 mins for us and 90 mins for you.

Of course that's just my opinion.

You know I respect you as a poster
Stu but that is utter garbage. The most Saints-centric post you ever put on here. You had a 10 minute spell in the semi. The rest of the game was either even or comfortably ours. Go and watch it again and take your RedVee specs off. Magic you only won because of the sending off. Don't point to you beating Huddersfield as some mitigation that wasn't the case as that's a completely different game. You were 2 minutes from losing that game and never lead throughout. Good Friday I'll give you.
Re: Wigan v Sts discussion : Thu Jul 21, 2022 9:56 am  
The Yellow Giraffe wrote:
You have had a better season so far in that you have a trophy and we don't. That doesn't mean you have been the better team so far. There is a big difference there.


I agree we have had a better season so far this must mean we are a better team so far,you won the first derby easily enough but you lost the first game game that really would mean anything then you won the last derby in the last seconds I would say we are better this season so far as you have agreed we are having a better season so far.
PreviousNext

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Cbr1000rr, CM Punk, sergeant pepper, WWste and 170 guests

REPLY

Subject: 
Message:
   
Please note using apple style emoji's can result in posting failures.
Use the FULL EDITOR to better format content or upload images, be notified of replies etc...

Return to Wigan Warriors