FORUMS FORUMS

RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
24 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Rumours and signings v9
Re: Rumours and signings v9 : Mon Dec 05, 2022 3:47 pm  
Pure supposition on my part. The news that is allegedly good for the game is unlikely to be a player unless one from outside the sport. Could easily be financial or behind the scenes.

Eddie Jones?
Re: Rumours and signings v9 : Mon Dec 05, 2022 5:53 pm  
Trainman wrote:
Pure supposition on my part. The news that is allegedly good for the game is unlikely to be a player unless one from outside the sport. Could easily be financial or behind the scenes.

Eddie Jones?

We want good news, not news that would make me want to headbutt my living room wall!
Re: Rumours and signings v9 : Mon Dec 05, 2022 6:01 pm  
NickyKiss wrote:
We want good news, not news that would make me want to headbutt my living room wall!

Why would it make you want to do that? Top coach, with a different way of thinking. I'd love him under Peet. Even if for just a preseason.

We've gotta get out of this mentality that we can't learn from other sports.
Re: Rumours and signings v9 : Mon Dec 05, 2022 6:14 pm  
sergeant pepper wrote:
Why would it make you want to do that? Top coach, with a different way of thinking. I'd love him under Peet. Even if for just a preseason.

Rugby Union has gone leaps and bounds since the league coaches went into union IMHO it all started when Wigan won the Twickenham sevens and came from behind to win, they targeted Phil Larder the Great Britain coach. The same time we were employing Aus coaches all the RL ex-players moved into coaching RU soon after they went fully PRO, and union have never looked back since.
Re: Rumours and signings v9 : Mon Dec 05, 2022 7:10 pm  
Social media from a lot of RU sources and ex players was saying how far off the on field product seemed from RL.
I wouldn't think Jones would be the great news for for us the fans or at least not for me, it would make headlines no doubt.
Seeing the talk is of Faz or Giz taking his position and what they learned in league was over a generation ago, I don't see how it's got anything to get excited about. I'm sure some will be happy but I imagine most would be very underwhelmed if this was the big news.
I can't see how not releasing squad numbers would relate to coaching and I can't see how new players or players leaving isn't a direct consequence of that not happening as of yet.
I'm hoping for much more than a England RU coach who's largely underachieved with the riches at his disposal, if off field news is afoot.
Re: Rumours and signings v9 : Mon Dec 05, 2022 7:44 pm  
sergeant pepper wrote:

No problem with taking on people from any sport or even outside of sport if it’ll help but not Eddie Jones. If there’s ever been a more smug, arrogant and hard to like character than him, I’m yet to come across them. I also just don’t see where a guy like that fits in. We’ve got a head coach, 2 assistant coaches and a mentor for Peet already in place in Shaun Wane.
Re: Rumours and signings v9 : Mon Dec 05, 2022 8:31 pm  
Eddie Jones has spoken several times about his desire to coach in the NRL, and it's been well reported. So, if he 'guested' at a SL club for a year, it would hardly be 'unbelievable' news that would 'delight the whole game'. On top of that, how would it really prep him for a job in the NRL?

He was an assistant coach for one season at Wigan! Wow, Para, Penrith and Brisbane would be falling over themselves to give him a job with that on his CV.

I've said a couple of times that this bar is simply too high to be believable. No one can think of anything that remotely ticks these boxes. Even if it was a signing of unimaginable scale, it would hardly excite the rest of the game. Most likely, they'd just be jealous and demand an enquiry into how we'd got it round the cap.
Re: Rumours and signings v9 : Mon Dec 05, 2022 9:06 pm  
By the looks of it he will be looking for a new job tomorrow.
Re: Rumours and signings v9 : Mon Dec 05, 2022 9:10 pm  
Cruncher wrote:
Eddie Jones has spoken several times about his desire to coach in the NRL, and it's been well reported. So, if he 'guested' at a SL club for a year, it would hardly be 'unbelievable' news that would 'delight the whole game'. On top of that, how would it really prep him for a job in the NRL?

He was an assistant coach for one season at Wigan! Wow, Para, Penrith and Brisbane would be falling over themselves to give him a job with that on his CV.

I've said a couple of times that this bar is simply too high to be believable. No one can think of anything that remotely ticks these boxes. Even if it was a signing of unimaginable scale, it would hardly excite the rest of the game. Most likely, they'd just be jealous and demand an enquiry into how we'd got it round the cap.

Not disagreeing but the NRL like sniffing round our players....and have taken Briers....so, not that far fetched?
Re: Rumours and signings v9 : Tue Dec 06, 2022 8:37 am  
Simba16 wrote:
Not disagreeing but the NRL like sniffing round our players....and have taken Briers....so, not that far fetched?

If he's happy to take an assistant coach role in the NRL, I'm sure that's possible. But I can't see it blowing all our minds, the way the OP seemed to think this coming revelation would.
PreviousNext