RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
23 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!
WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Rumours and signings v9
Re: Rumours and signings v9 Wed Sep 28, 2022 10:24 am  
Re: Rumours and signings v9
Wed Sep 28, 2022 10:24 am  

User avatarJukesays wrote:
Jukesays Member for 19 years
Silver RLFANS Member
User avatar
No
Team
Selected


Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2004 11:19 pm
Posts: 7475
Location: Sorting my Erection out & Helping Conroy With his!
Itchy Arsenal wrote:
I believe that he has got an excellent deal for himself.
I would if possible liked to have retained him as a squad player.
Good luck to the lad.


It's the age old argument
His value to Hudderfield is greater than his value to Wigan

As discussed previously, I would certainly have kept him on a similar amount to what he's on now on in his 3rd year at Wigan
I wouldn't based on his value to Huddersfield who have seriously increased his Salary.

Good luck to the lad l, deserves the break and has always done his best for Wigan
Fans Forum 28.08.08 Fan from Haydock

"I've got one word for you Mr Chairman - Penalty Count"

[quote="The Daddy"]I've got one word for you all......Steve Hanley[/quote]

Some Salford fan said to me and I quote "You are by far and away the most Handsome & Knowledgeable Rugby League Fan in England!"

I thanked him and went on my Merry way!

RIVERCAVE DWELLER OF THE YEAR 2015!

"The club used you last night and didn't tell the truth."

Officially one of the 119 Mugs used by the club
Re: Rumours and signings v9 Wed Sep 28, 2022 10:32 am  
Re: Rumours and signings v9
Wed Sep 28, 2022 10:32 am  

Itchy Arsenal Member for 14 years
Bronze RLFANS Member
User avatar


Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2008 5:07 pm
Posts: 2506
Location: God's little acre
Jukesays wrote:
It's the age old argument
His value to Hudderfield is greater than his value to Wigan

As discussed previously, I would certainly have kept him on a similar amount to what he's on now on in his 3rd year at Wigan
I wouldn't based on his value to Huddersfield who have seriously increased his Salary.

Good luck to the lad l, deserves the break and has always done his best for Wigan


It's a short career so I don't blame him one iota for moving for improving his income.
A real solid clubman who will do a job for Huddersfield at either centre or wing. We have a severe shortage of both so hopefully further additions to the squad to be announced over the next few weeks. If we don't replace him he will be missed.
A good St Cuthberts lad.
Re: Rumours and signings v9 Wed Sep 28, 2022 10:39 am  
Re: Rumours and signings v9
Wed Sep 28, 2022 10:39 am  

User avatarNickyKiss wrote:
NickyKiss Member for 18 years
Gold RLFANS Member
User avatar


Joined: Mon Nov 08, 2004 10:38 am
Posts: 27593
Location: WIGAN
He seems a great character and again, like Partington, has given it everything. The posts above nail it, we can’t afford to bump his wage up to the level he’s getting elsewhere if we’re then going to use him as a squad player and IMO that’s his level and how he should be used here. It may well be how he is used at Huddersfield as well mind, when you consider they have a 2-5 available of McGillvary, Naiqama, Marsters and Senior and also have Cudjoe to throw in.

As for us, we need another centre without a doubt IMO. We need to nail that position and get some stability in there. I’m really hopeful the Wardle rumours come to fruition and we can then relax and finally move on from throwing second rowers in there.
Re: Rumours and signings v9 Wed Sep 28, 2022 10:46 am  
Re: Rumours and signings v9
Wed Sep 28, 2022 10:46 am  

User avatarMadDogg wrote:
MadDogg Member for 18 years
Silver RLFANS Member
User avatar


Joined: Mon Feb 21, 2005 10:14 am
Posts: 8482
Location: Edinburgh
Actually think Bibby was downright lazy at times this year. 7 carries in the Leeds game for 40 metres.
Re: Rumours and signings v9 Wed Sep 28, 2022 11:22 am  
Re: Rumours and signings v9
Wed Sep 28, 2022 11:22 am  

User avatarjonh wrote:
jonh Member for 20 years
User avatar
No
Team
Selected


Joined: Tue May 27, 2003 3:21 pm
Posts: 19169
Location: educating League Freak on all things rugby league
Itchy Arsenal wrote:
It's a short career so I don't blame him one iota for moving for improving his income.
A real solid clubman who will do a job for Huddersfield at either centre or wing. We have a severe shortage of both so hopefully further additions to the squad to be announced over the next few weeks. If we don't replace him he will be missed.
A good St Cuthberts lad.


I don’t really view us as having a shortage I think we have some real top quality across the outside backs and have the balance about right between youth and experience.

I agree he needs to be replaced and anticipate he will be with Wardle. Once we do replace him I think we have great options across the backline.

We have 3 very good wingers in Miski, French and Marshall.
We have 3 specialist centres in King, Thornley and Halsall with I still believe Wardle to come in and replace Bibby.

We also still have the likes of KPP, Isa and Bateman who can “do a job” in the centre however with the 4 listed above I think that should become the exception in 2023 rather than the rule, which we saw in 22.

I cannot recall the last time we had 2 specialist centres in the 17, and I think this has been an area that Peet has addressed as a priority.

In regards Bibby I would have liked to retain him too but I understand he was offered more than we were willing to pay to secure his services. Whilst I’d liked to have him around the squad I don’t see him as a regular starter at Wigan in 23, and we have a backup centre wing in Thornley so it makes sense for both parties to move on.

Good luck to him. He hasn’t let anyone down during his time with us.
Unofficially the most boring poster on Cherry and White.
Re: Rumours and signings v9 Wed Sep 28, 2022 12:10 pm  
Re: Rumours and signings v9
Wed Sep 28, 2022 12:10 pm  

apollosghost wrote:
apollosghost Member for 13 years
Free-scoring winger

No
Team
Selected


Joined: Mon Feb 01, 2010 5:45 pm
Posts: 2246
Location: Under New Springs bridge wit' rest of trolls
IF Wardle is announced we'll be in a miles better position in the three quarters than last season, hopefully he has signed and baring the direst emergency that should be the last we see of second rowers being stuck out there
Re: Rumours and signings v9 Wed Sep 28, 2022 12:26 pm  
Re: Rumours and signings v9
Wed Sep 28, 2022 12:26 pm  
sergeant pepper Member for 11 years
Bronze RLFANS Member
User avatar
No
Team
Selected


Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2012 7:01 pm
Posts: 3348
Location: In the sky with diamonds
MadDogg wrote:
Actually think Bibby was downright lazy at times this year. 7 carries in the Leeds game for 40 metres.


I've been a big advocate of Bibby and stuck up for him plenty of times in the past. I've seen him have blinders Vs far more hyped players like Johnstone, who he's had in his back pocket most
of the times he's played against him.

That being said, I think he's been poor this year. On Good Friday, I was quietly confident and looking forward to him doing a defensive number on Hurell. Sadly the opposite happened and he wasn't the same after. He seemed to lose his confidence and Peet seemed to lose confidence in him too.

I hope we've got Wardle, or it will completely negate the resigning of French imo.
22 LEAGUE TITLES
20 CHALLENGE CUPS
4 WORLD TITLES
SAYS IT ALL REALLY
Re: Rumours and signings v9 Wed Sep 28, 2022 1:14 pm  
Re: Rumours and signings v9
Wed Sep 28, 2022 1:14 pm  

Itchy Arsenal Member for 14 years
Bronze RLFANS Member
User avatar


Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2008 5:07 pm
Posts: 2506
Location: God's little acre
jonh wrote:
I don’t really view us as having a shortage I think we have some real top quality across the outside backs and have the balance about right between youth and experience.

I agree he needs to be replaced and anticipate he will be with Wardle. Once we do replace him I think we have great options across the backline.

We have 3 very good wingers in Miski, French and Marshall.
We have 3 specialist centres in King, Thornley and Halsall with I still believe Wardle to come in and replace Bibby.

We also still have the likes of KPP, Isa and Bateman who can “do a job” in the centre however with the 4 listed above I think that should become the exception in 2023 rather than the rule, which we saw in 22.

I cannot recall the last time we had 2 specialist centres in the 17, and I think this has been an area that Peet has addressed as a priority.

In regards Bibby I would have liked to retain him too but I understand he was offered more than we were willing to pay to secure his services. Whilst I’d liked to have him around the squad I don’t see him as a regular starter at Wigan in 23, and we have a backup centre wing in Thornley so it makes sense for both parties to move on.

Good luck to him. He hasn’t let anyone down during his time with us.


Miski and Halsall are currently, based on 2022 selections, perhaps considered not good enough by Peet due to the lack of first team appearances even with the injuries we had during the season and the exit of Hardaker?

Miski has improved marginally but his debut was one the worst debuts I've ever seen in a Wigan shirt.

Wouldn't surprise me if Thornley retires. He had awful luck with injuries and maybe his time has gone? He's at age where injuries are going to be an ever present and I'm not sure that he has the willpower or the capacity to keep struggling through
.
I stand to be corrected but I think Halsall played FB in his amatuer days so his experience at centre is somewhat limited and maybe that is what is preventing him from commanding a first team place at centre?

Apologies if that sounds negative Jon but we have been delinquent for many years in recruiting specialist centres and for me, even with King coming in we are short of top quality centres with decent backup.
Maybe I've mentally, incorrectly, "accepted" that Thornley won't be coming back and feel that we still require more experienced cover in the three quarters.

I'm quite hopeful that Wardle will join us per your prediction which will be a big improvement on recent years in the centres.
Re: Rumours and signings v9 Wed Sep 28, 2022 3:25 pm  
Re: Rumours and signings v9
Wed Sep 28, 2022 3:25 pm  

Zig wrote:
Zig Member for L 0 years
Strong-running second rower

No
Team
Selected


Joined: Sat Jun 04, 2022 12:44 am
Posts: 362
Itchy Arsenal wrote:
Miski and Halsall are currently, based on 2022 selections, perhaps considered not good enough by Peet due to the lack of first team appearances even with the injuries we had during the season and the exit of Hardaker?

Miski has improved marginally but his debut was one the worst debuts I've ever seen in a Wigan shirt.

Wouldn't surprise me if Thornley retires. He had awful luck with injuries and maybe his time has gone? He's at age where injuries are going to be an ever present and I'm not sure that he has the willpower or the capacity to keep struggling through
.
I stand to be corrected but I think Halsall played FB in his amatuer days so his experience at centre is somewhat limited and maybe that is what is preventing him from commanding a first team place at centre?

Apologies if that sounds negative Jon but we have been delinquent for many years in recruiting specialist centres and for me, even with King coming in we are short of top quality centres with decent backup.
Maybe I've mentally, incorrectly, "accepted" that Thornley won't be coming back and feel that we still require more experienced cover in the three quarters.

I'm quite hopeful that Wardle will join us per your prediction which will be a big improvement on recent years in the centres.


According to the attached article Thornley will be playing in 2023.
https://www.wigantoday.net/sport/rugby- ... 23-3858129
Itchy Arsenal wrote:
Miski and Halsall are currently, based on 2022 selections, perhaps considered not good enough by Peet due to the lack of first team appearances even with the injuries we had during the season and the exit of Hardaker?

Miski has improved marginally but his debut was one the worst debuts I've ever seen in a Wigan shirt.

Wouldn't surprise me if Thornley retires. He had awful luck with injuries and maybe his time has gone? He's at age where injuries are going to be an ever present and I'm not sure that he has the willpower or the capacity to keep struggling through
.
I stand to be corrected but I think Halsall played FB in his amatuer days so his experience at centre is somewhat limited and maybe that is what is preventing him from commanding a first team place at centre?

Apologies if that sounds negative Jon but we have been delinquent for many years in recruiting specialist centres and for me, even with King coming in we are short of top quality centres with decent backup.
Maybe I've mentally, incorrectly, "accepted" that Thornley won't be coming back and feel that we still require more experienced cover in the three quarters.

I'm quite hopeful that Wardle will join us per your prediction which will be a big improvement on recent years in the centres.


According to the attached article Thornley will be playing in 2023.
https://www.wigantoday.net/sport/rugby- ... 23-3858129
Re: Rumours and signings v9 Wed Sep 28, 2022 3:35 pm  
Re: Rumours and signings v9
Wed Sep 28, 2022 3:35 pm  
sergeant pepper Member for 11 years
Bronze RLFANS Member
User avatar
No
Team
Selected


Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2012 7:01 pm
Posts: 3348
Location: In the sky with diamonds
Zig wrote:
According to the attached article Thornley will be playing in 2023.
https://www.wigantoday.net/sport/rugby- ... 23-3858129


Really nice guy and I feel for him, but that's pie in the sky stuff imo. He's had bad injuries at most places he's been. He's had what 3 big injuries this season?

On form and fit, he's great but he's no good sat in the stands.
Zig wrote:
According to the attached article Thornley will be playing in 2023.
https://www.wigantoday.net/sport/rugby- ... 23-3858129


Really nice guy and I feel for him, but that's pie in the sky stuff imo. He's had bad injuries at most places he's been. He's had what 3 big injuries this season?

On form and fit, he's great but he's no good sat in the stands.
22 LEAGUE TITLES
20 CHALLENGE CUPS
4 WORLD TITLES
SAYS IT ALL REALLY
PreviousNext

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: ChrisA, CM Punk, Cruncher, Jason65, JIMMY MAGNETS, Pieman, rhinos12497, sergeant pepper, Simba16, Sweaty Betty's, The pieman and 174 guests

REPLY

Subject: 
Message:
   
Please note using apple style emoji's can result in posting failures.
Use the FULL EDITOR to better format content or upload images, be notified of replies etc...

Return to Wigan Warriors


RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POST
TOPIC
POSTER
POSTS
1m
Rumours and signings v9
Simba16
24860
9m
Shares for sale in Trinity
Slugger McBa
49
32m
Wane out
Sadfish
77
38m
Game - Song Titles 20212
Boss Hog
17909
39m
BORED The Band Name Game
Boss Hog
35238
58m
Riley Dean
Winslade's O
25
FORUM
LAST
VIEW
TOPIC
POSTER
POSTS
29s
2023 Kits
SouthStandRe
110
29s
Proctor
TrinTrin
1
36s
Game - Song Titles 20212
Boss Hog
17909
41s
2023 Squad Numbers
Once were Lo
21
47s
Squad and Team 2023
Armavinit
8
1m
Confirmed 2023 squad
WYSIWYG2
124
2m
IN 2023 Nene MacDonald - Expires 2024
Once were Lo
58
2m
NEW DEAL Cameron Smith - Expires 2026
Emagdnim13
11
2m
Pre season
mwindass
124
3m
Dragons Ladies Team 2022/2023
Jimmythecuck
1
FORUM
NEW
TOPICS
TOPIC
POSTER
POSTS
TODAY
Squad and Team 2023
Armavinit
8
TODAY
Proctor
TrinTrin
1
TODAY
Shares for sale in Trinity
Slugger McBa
49
TODAY
Wardle and King
nathan_rugby
8
TODAY
Squad numbers
WakiWaki
25
TODAY
NEW DEAL Cameron Smith - Expires 2026
Emagdnim13
11
TODAY
Faz and Giz
Dai Jones
7
TODAY
anyone work in banking advice needed
Maccbull_Big
2
TODAY
JD in the Bye round
musson
24
NEWS ITEMS
VIEWS
Australia World Champions Agai..
5925
Jillaroos Demolish the Ferns t..
1841
England Beat France in Nail-bi..
2794
New Zealand Ferns Final Bound ..
1679
Australia Power Into Womens Fi..
1804
Samoa Into the Final As Englis..
1877
Australia Squeeze Into The Fin..
4605
Jilleroos Scrape Home Against ..
2124
Cook Islands Sign Off With Vic..
2712
England 19-man squad for RLWC ..
2612
St Helens to face Penrith Pant..
2544
England Top Group A With Big W..
2268
Canada End World Cup With Tigh..
2062
Record Breaking Masterclass fr..
3289
Ferns Win As Cooks Score First..
2594
POSTSONLINEMEMBERSRECORD
19.4Million 1,634 ↓-3779,3159,323
LOGIN HERE
or REGISTER for more features!.

When you register you get access to the live match scores, live match chat and you can post in the discussions on the forums.
RLFANS Match Centre
 Sat 18th Feb 2023
     Mens Super League XXVIII-R1
13:00
Hull KR
v
Wigan
 Fri 24th Feb 2023
     Mens Super League XXVIII-R2
20:00
Wigan
v
Wakefield
 Fri 3rd Mar 2023
     Mens Super League XXVIII-R3
20:00
Castleford
v
Wigan
 Thu 9th Mar 2023
     Mens Super League XXVIII-R4
20:00
Wigan
v
Catalans
ALL SCORES PROVIDED BY RLFANS.COM (SETTINGS)
Matches on TV
Thu 16th Feb
SL-M
20:00
Warrington-Leeds
Fri 17th Feb
SL-M
20:00
Leigh-Salford
Sat 18th Feb
SL-M
13:00
Hull KR-Wigan
WCC2023
07:00
Penrith-St.Helens
Thu 23rd Feb
SL-M
20:00
Salford-Hull KR
Fri 24th Feb
SL-M
20:00
Leeds-Hull FC
Sun 26th Feb
SL-M
13:00
Castleford-St.Helens
Thu 2nd Mar
SL-M
20:00
Warrington-Salford
Fri 3rd Mar
SL-M
20:00
St.Helens-Leeds
Thu 9th Mar
SL-M
20:00
Wigan-Catalans
Fri 10th Mar
SL-M
20:00
Huddersfield-Castleford
This is an inplay table and live positions can change.
Mens Betfred Super League XXVIII ROUND : 1
 PLDFADIFFPTS
Huddersfield 0 0 0 0 0
Leigh 0 0 0 0 0
St.Helens 0 0 0 0 0
Castleford 0 0 0 0 0
Wakefield 0 0 0 0 0
Leeds 0 0 0 0 0
 
Hull KR 0 0 0 0 0
Warrington 0 0 0 0 0
Salford 0 0 0 0 0
Wigan 0 0 0 0 0
Hull FC 0 0 0 0 0
Catalans 0 0 0 0 0
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POST
TOPIC
POSTER
POSTS
1m
Rumours and signings v9
Simba16
24860
9m
Shares for sale in Trinity
Slugger McBa
49
32m
Wane out
Sadfish
77
38m
Game - Song Titles 20212
Boss Hog
17909
39m
BORED The Band Name Game
Boss Hog
35238
58m
Riley Dean
Winslade's O
25
FORUM
LAST
VIEW
TOPIC
POSTER
POSTS
29s
2023 Kits
SouthStandRe
110
29s
Proctor
TrinTrin
1
36s
Game - Song Titles 20212
Boss Hog
17909
41s
2023 Squad Numbers
Once were Lo
21
47s
Squad and Team 2023
Armavinit
8
1m
Confirmed 2023 squad
WYSIWYG2
124
2m
IN 2023 Nene MacDonald - Expires 2024
Once were Lo
58
2m
NEW DEAL Cameron Smith - Expires 2026
Emagdnim13
11
2m
Pre season
mwindass
124
3m
Dragons Ladies Team 2022/2023
Jimmythecuck
1
FORUM
NEW
TOPICS
TOPIC
POSTER
POSTS
TODAY
Squad and Team 2023
Armavinit
8
TODAY
Proctor
TrinTrin
1
TODAY
Shares for sale in Trinity
Slugger McBa
49
TODAY
Wardle and King
nathan_rugby
8
TODAY
Squad numbers
WakiWaki
25
TODAY
NEW DEAL Cameron Smith - Expires 2026
Emagdnim13
11
TODAY
Faz and Giz
Dai Jones
7
TODAY
anyone work in banking advice needed
Maccbull_Big
2
TODAY
JD in the Bye round
musson
24
NEWS ITEMS
VIEWS
Australia World Champions Agai..
5925
Jillaroos Demolish the Ferns t..
1841
England Beat France in Nail-bi..
2794
New Zealand Ferns Final Bound ..
1679
Australia Power Into Womens Fi..
1804
Samoa Into the Final As Englis..
1877
Australia Squeeze Into The Fin..
4605
Jilleroos Scrape Home Against ..
2124
Cook Islands Sign Off With Vic..
2712
England 19-man squad for RLWC ..
2612
St Helens to face Penrith Pant..
2544
England Top Group A With Big W..
2268
Canada End World Cup With Tigh..
2062
Record Breaking Masterclass fr..
3289
Ferns Win As Cooks Score First..
2594


Visit the RLFANS.COM SHOP
for more merchandise!