FORUMS FORUMS

RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - The annual ‘how will 2022/23 SL finish the regular season’
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach2599
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 29 200915 years89th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
28th Mar 24 11:357th Mar 24 22:01LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

rubber duckie wrote:
.1 Warrington
.2 Leeds
.3 Huddersfield
.4 St Helens
.5 Castleford
.6 Wigan
.7 Catalan
.8 Hull FC
.9 Hull KR
10 Salford
11 Leigh
12 Wakefield

I don't think we'll be top as we'll probably lose ground early doors as the team gels. But I like Duck's optimism and if we make one of the play off spots, which I think we will, I don't see any reason why we shouldn't be challenging for the big one given the players we have and (hopefully) no major disruptions for Powell. I seem to remember Duck predicting a few unlikely results v Saints over the years against the grain, so never discount the Duck.

My table is:

Stains
Pie
Leads
Wire
uddersfield
Cats
Hell Fc
Sellford
Hell KR
Wakefield
Cas
Leigh (sorry Leigh fans, I hope you stay up though)
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member29192No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 10 200321 years87th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
11th Mar 24 00:255th Mar 24 23:56LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

rubber duckie wrote:
.1 Warrington
.2 Leeds
.3 Huddersfield
.4 St Helens
.5 Castleford
.6 Wigan
.7 Catalan
.8 Hull FC
.9 Hull KR
10 Salford
11 Leigh
12 Wakefield

Nostraduckus strikes again. Are you going to go unbeaten this year? Now you've got a pack you've got much more chance than when you used to predict that in past seasons.

You could be right on Saints I think, if Wellens makes changes. I'm not sure what you are suggesting happens to Wigan? Field and French injuries might cause that I suppose?
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach9621
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 06 200915 years100th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
26th Mar 24 11:3923rd Feb 24 20:57LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

hard to know how we will do this coming season.

We could be anything from 3 - 10 position wise.

It goes 1 of 2 ways for us next season

1 - The team look no better than they did last season...... everyone turns on powell, which in turn effects the team even more... we get 5/6 games in before having to make a change... Then a new coach has to come in and pick the pieces up off a broken dressing room struggling for confidence... in this case, best we can hope for is a cup run and a late charge at mid table (a bit like Smith 2009).

2 - We start the season off well... People can see that the team is much improved.. Powell keeps his job and the mood improves... We can then have a good go at maybe finishing top 4

Anything less than a good start and an obvious upturn in performances, will ultimately bring about the end of Powell though... he absolutely HAS to have a good start.. he can only really lose 1 or 2 games in the opening 6 fixtures, or there will be a lynching.
Cokey 
RankPostsTeam
Club Owner21001
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 19 201113 years55th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
28th Mar 24 22:5628th Mar 24 22:44LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Across The Universe....... Jai guru deva om - Nothings gonna change my world.
Signature

Gazwire wrote:
I don't think we'll be top as we'll probably lose ground early doors as the team gels. But I like Duck's optimism and if we make one of the play off spots, which I think we will, I don't see any reason why we shouldn't be challenging for the big one given the players we have and (hopefully) no major disruptions for Powell. I seem to remember Duck predicting a few unlikely results v Saints over the years against the grain, so never discount the Duck.

My table is:

Stains
Pie
Leads
Wire
uddersfield
Cats
Hell Fc
Sellford
Hell KR
Wakefield
Cas
Leigh (sorry Leigh fans, I hope you stay up though)

No need to be sorry Gaz. I think you've had a good drink picking that selection tho. :)
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach13498
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 25 200618 years11th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
28th Mar 24 23:5226th Mar 24 22:45LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

morleys_deckchair wrote:
hard to know how we will do this coming season.

We could be anything from 3 - 10 position wise.

It goes 1 of 2 ways for us next season

1 - The team look no better than they did last season...... everyone turns on powell, which in turn effects the team even more... we get 5/6 games in before having to make a change... Then a new coach has to come in and pick the pieces up off a broken dressing room struggling for confidence... in this case, best we can hope for is a cup run and a late charge at mid table (a bit like Smith 2009).

2 - We start the season off well... People can see that the team is much improved.. Powell keeps his job and the mood improves... We can then have a good go at maybe finishing top 4

Anything less than a good start and an obvious upturn in performances, will ultimately bring about the end of Powell though... he absolutely HAS to have a good start.. he can only really lose 1 or 2 games in the opening 6 fixtures, or there will be a lynching.

I hope whichever way it goes it is clear to see and decisive. By 1st April we will have had 4 home games (Leeds, Salford, Leigh, Hull FC). If we are on track we will have won them all.
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach2599
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 29 200915 years89th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Wires71 wrote:
I hope whichever way it goes it is clear to see and decisive. By 1st April we will have had 4 home games (Leeds, Salford, Leigh, Hull FC). If we are on track we will have won them all.

I'm looking for an improvement in performance and good signs that the attitude has changed. Leeds were descent last year and much improved so I'm not expecting a win in our opening game, just good signs that things are changing. I think it's a lot to expect for us to immediately gel, and we'd need to be cohesive to beat a descent Leeds side who'll expect to improve further from last season under Smith.

We definitely need good signs, but we need to be realistic and respect the opposition too.
fez1 
RankPostsTeam
International Star2330
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 21 201113 years127th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
28th Mar 24 16:0728th Mar 24 15:59LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Looking at the season as a whole we NEED to finish top 4.
This is totally DPs team now and there can be no excuses.
Most teams will be a little rusty because of incoming players / the break (except maybe Saints who have made few changes, except for Wellens and he's immersed in the previous coaches methodology, so should be no real issue).
Even if we have a so-so start what I really want to see is desire in every game.
The forwards should be dominating so that should be a decent platform. We've decent halves and although there is criticism of the backs, I am looking forward to seeing Ashton and Duffy in particular.

I'm glad we're on a break. After the World Cup I need some down time.
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach9621
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 06 200915 years100th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
26th Mar 24 11:3923rd Feb 24 20:57LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Wires71 wrote:

Given how last season went... and how many perceived the way the clear out was handled, its hard to see how Powell can last long if the team isn't playing well out the gate.

rubbish start - sacked
mediocre start - sacked
good start - keeps job.... but even after that, any perceived fall off in form will be jumped on.

Going to be an uphill battle for him this season.
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach13498
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 25 200618 years11th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
28th Mar 24 23:5226th Mar 24 22:45LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

morleys_deckchair wrote:
Given how last season went... and how many perceived the way the clear out was handled, its hard to see how Powell can last long if the team isn't playing well out the gate.

rubbish start - sacked
mediocre start - sacked
good start - keeps job.... but even after that, any perceived fall off in form will be jumped on.

Going to be an uphill battle for him this season.

Yes it comes with the job. If you accept a job at a prominent club with expectations, great facilities, full cap spend and you are well backed in the transfer market then you are going to be expected to deliver. Especially if you have already had a season there.
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach2599
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 29 200915 years89th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Wires71 wrote:
Yes it comes with the job. If you accept a job at a prominent club with expectations, great facilities, full cap spend and you are well backed in the transfer market then you are going to be expected to deliver. Especially if you have already had a season there.

Agree with this, but a realistic timescale has to be factored in. You expect us to win the first 4 including Leeds first game, otherwise we're not on track, as you've just posted. Are you expecting all our newcomers to gel first game, because that's what'll be required if we are planning to turnover an already well drilled, well financed side who performed markedly better than us and most other sides last season. I'm hoping we will and wouldn't be surprised if we did as it'll be the first game of the season for Leeds as well and they may be a bit rusty. We'll be rusty and it'll be the first proper game many of our players will have played together in, so I reckon Leeds will go in as firm favourites.

We have to remember too that we've been chucking more money than anyone else for nearly 20 years and still haven't won it - that tells me we've needed a culture change/reset for a long time now, since Smith came in when we did get close. The cost of an upheaval such as this is that it'll take time for things to fully assimilate.

Come the end of the season there will be no excuses, but let's judge things over time as the season progresses and not make hasty/rash decisions. Aside from anything else, how pointless would it be to sack the coach, early doors, who has rebuilt the squad to suit his style of play. Last season was poor, but it was going to be in all probability given the number of changes, and players brassed off with having to attend training sessions fully.

Let's keep our fingers crossed.
PreviousNext