RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
23 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!
WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - SL GF | St Helens (Old Trafford)
Re: Morgan Knowles Mon Sep 26, 2022 4:34 pm  
Re: Morgan Knowles
Mon Sep 26, 2022 4:34 pm  

User avatarSaddened! wrote:
Saddened! Member for 19 years
Gold RLFANS Member
No
Team
Selected

Swoggy Loiner wrote:
Every offence Saints commit is 'a nothing incident'.

Quite. If you look at the volume of bans (I think we're level top now, but with fewer games because most of ours are 1-2) and the range of bans they are always at the bottom ends of the scale. I think the worst ban we got this season was 3 for Mata'utia grabbing the collar of a player clearly faking an injury, although I understand why those have to be given. For all the hype this week and the campaign by Sky to get as many banned as possible, Saints are not a dirty side. There are no dirty players in that team. Saints haven't put a bad tackle in this season, not one. If you look at the Tetavano hit on Hurrell as an example of a bad tackle, there's been nothing anywhere near that. It's a shame the hype around the final descended to where it did and all being about Knowles, but in isolation that is simply not worthy of a ban. But that is where the MRP being so trigger happy leads us to, everyone spends the games making notes on who they want to demand gets banned. Lets go back to banning the dangerous ones.

Swoggy Loiner wrote:
Knowles is lucky he didn’t get picked up for two shoulder charges either.

I've watched it back three times now and I don't have a clue where any of those are. That shows how minor they were. Blake Austin also got away with two or three high shots and Martin's kick at Hurrell could have been looked at too, but we could be here all night with a contact sport like RL.

Swoggy Loiner wrote:
The irony over on the social media sites is bordering on hilarious over the Martin tackle on Lomax. Many are the same names that applauded Welsby’s shot only last week, yet they want a four match ban for Martin’s 'near neck breaker'.
At no point were his legs above the horizontal position, and I’m almost certain Moore wasn’t going to blow up until Welsby and that cockney idiot ran in carrying on.

That one wasn't a ban, but you're always going to concede a penalty for that because of how spectacular the fall was. Live, everyone around us was saying red, a couple of Leeds fans saying it was definitely over now as he'd definitely get sent. Then they showed the replay and everyone forgot about it. His legs went almost vertical so it looks bad even though the contact with the ground was level and therefore legal. The only thing I'd question in that is control, I'm not sure Martin has any control over where he lands, but I'm happy with no ban.

It's interesting too that Myler got told off twice for faking impacts. The sport really needs to get a grip of that, it's becoming more and more like the Premier League by the week.
Re: Morgan Knowles Mon Sep 26, 2022 4:36 pm  
Mon Sep 26, 2022 4:36 pm  

Gold RLFANS Member
No
Team
Selected

sir adrian morley wrote:
Was this picked up by 6again moore

He gave you a penalty for it, such as you'd expect from a quality ref like Moore. He was brilliant again wasn't he, no controversy in the game at all and kept control of it superbly. It was like he wasn't even there and the game just flowed. Apart from the when the headset thing broke. I'm a firm believer in cracking on when that happens, going old school and using the flag and hand signals to attract the refs attention.
Re: SL GF | St Helens (Old Trafford) Mon Sep 26, 2022 4:37 pm  
Re: SL GF | St Helens (Old Trafford)
Mon Sep 26, 2022 4:37 pm  

User avatarRogerMoore wrote:
RogerMoore Member for 17 years
Eddie Hemmings's Wig
No
Team
Selected

Lprhino wrote:
I don’t get why you feel the need to come on another board and make those kind of comments? If you think St Helens are the greatest club or most successful club or whatever else then fair play to you. I don’t agree, I don’t even think this is the best St Helens side of the last 15 years, let alone the best side ever.

I assume you’ve been to St Helens, there is literally nothing to do but play rugby league, it is a god awful place. Despite that and the fact St Helens have been champions for 4 years on the bounce. They don’t sell out, don’t even have the highest average attendance for gods sake. If you haven’t been to Leeds there are numerous other attractions and sports to compete with for players and fans. Despite that, despite the fact Leeds have been awful for a number of years they still have the highest average attendance, they still produce numerous high quality players and despite being fighting relegation half way through the season they got to Old Trafford and have St Helens a decent game.

Well done on winning, well deserved. Just try and have a little bit more class about yourself when you come onto another teams board and post about it.

Can't believe you use the attendance argument. Population of Leeds end of 2021, 812,000 average crowd this season 12,940 with a high of 15,418. St. Helens population end of 2021 183,200 average crowd this season 11,701 with a high of 17,908. No doubt you could throw in Wigan and Warrington to the mix with a higher crowd per population. Do the maths.
Re: Morgan Knowles Mon Sep 26, 2022 4:42 pm  
Mon Sep 26, 2022 4:42 pm  
rollin thunder Member for 12 years
Bronze RLFANS Member

No
Team
Selected

Swoggy Loiner wrote:
Every offence Saints commit is 'a nothing incident'.

Knowles is lucky he didn’t get picked up for two shoulder charges either.

The irony over on the social media sites is bordering on hilarious over the Martin tackle on Lomax. Many are the same names that applauded Welsby’s shot only last week, yet they want a four match ban for Martin’s 'near neck breaker'.
At no point were his legs above the horizontal position, and I’m almost certain Moore wasn’t going to blow up until Welsby and that cockney idiot ran in carrying on.

Lomax also doing what he does laid in his hunches rubbing the back of his neck.
Re: Morgan Knowles Mon Sep 26, 2022 4:43 pm  
Mon Sep 26, 2022 4:43 pm  

User avatarchristopher wrote:
christopher Member for 20 years
No
Team
Selected

Saddened! wrote:
Quite. If you look at the volume of bans (I think we're level top now, but with fewer games because most of ours are 1-2) and the range of bans they are always at the bottom ends of the scale. I think the worst ban we got this season was 3 for Mata'utia grabbing the collar of a player clearly faking an injury, although I understand why those have to be given. For all the hype this week and the campaign by Sky to get as many banned as possible, Saints are not a dirty side. There are no dirty players in that team. Saints haven't put a bad tackle in this season, not one. If you look at the Tetavano hit on Hurrell as an example of a bad tackle, there's been nothing anywhere near that. It's a shame the hype around the final descended to where it did and all being about Knowles, but in isolation that is simply not worthy of a ban. But that is where the MRP being so trigger happy leads us to, everyone spends the games making notes on who they want to demand gets banned. Lets go back to banning the dangerous ones.

I've watched it back three times now and I don't have a clue where any of those are. That shows how minor they were. Blake Austin also got away with two or three high shots and Martin's kick at Hurrell could have been looked at too, but we could be here all night with a contact sport like RL.

That one wasn't a ban, but you're always going to concede a penalty for that because of how spectacular the fall was. Live, everyone around us was saying red, a couple of Leeds fans saying it was definitely over now as he'd definitely get sent. Then they showed the replay and everyone forgot about it. His legs went almost vertical so it looks bad even though the contact with the ground was level and therefore legal. The only thing I'd question in that is control, I'm not sure Martin has any control over where he lands, but I'm happy with no ban.

It's interesting too that Myler got told off twice for faking impacts. The sport really needs to get a grip of that, it's becoming more and more like the Premier League by the week.

Campaign by sky :-)

Oh and lomax goes down ‘injured’ as much as any other player so Saints aren’t squeaky clean in that front.

No dirty players? How many matches did Makinson get for grabbing a player by the nuts?
Re: Morgan Knowles Mon Sep 26, 2022 4:44 pm  
Mon Sep 26, 2022 4:44 pm  

User avatarchristopher wrote:
christopher Member for 20 years
No
Team
Selected

Saddened! wrote:
He gave you a penalty for it, such as you'd expect from a quality ref like Moore. He was brilliant again wasn't he, no controversy in the game at all and kept control of it superbly. It was like he wasn't even there and the game just flowed. Apart from the when the headset thing broke. I'm a firm believer in cracking on when that happens, going old school and using the flag and hand signals to attract the refs attention.

Moore was good so credit where it’s due.
Re: Morgan Knowles Mon Sep 26, 2022 4:44 pm  
Mon Sep 26, 2022 4:44 pm  

Gold RLFANS Member
No
Team
Selected

rollin thunder wrote:
Lomax also doing what he does laid in his hunches rubbing the back of his neck.

He got powerbombed. That's going to hurt isn't it, even if it was a legal tackle.
Re: Morgan Knowles Mon Sep 26, 2022 4:48 pm  
Mon Sep 26, 2022 4:48 pm  

Swoggy Loiner Member for 11 years
Cheeky half-back

No
Team
Selected

christopher wrote:

Oh and lomax goes down ‘injured’ as much as any other player so Saints aren’t squeaky clean in that front.

No dirty players? How many matches did Makinson get for grabbing a player by the nuts?

Every time Leeds got anywhere near their 10 on Saturday, Makinson seemed to be on the deck to get the game stopped. Saints physios were on the field nearly as much as the players. I’ll give them their due though, they’re very clever at playing on the edge of cheating, and they’re good at it.
Re: Morgan Knowles Mon Sep 26, 2022 4:51 pm  
Mon Sep 26, 2022 4:51 pm  

Gold RLFANS Member
No
Team
Selected

christopher wrote:

Lomax got smashed a few times, he took the ball in a lot. He's going to get injured, but yes, being clever and knowing when to stay down is a sport-wide problem, not specific to any one player or team. He didn't do that in the Martin incident though, he got hammered there, he's going to need a moment to collect his thoughts after that isn't he.

What Makinson did was a bit of a weird one I agree, but it's not dangerous. I'm sure there was no attempt to detach it. :lol:
Re: SL GF | St Helens (Old Trafford) Mon Sep 26, 2022 4:52 pm  
Re: SL GF | St Helens (Old Trafford)
Mon Sep 26, 2022 4:52 pm  

Backwoodsman wrote:
Backwoodsman Member for 11 years
Free-scoring winger

No
Team
Selected

RogerMoore wrote:
Can't believe you use the attendance argument. Population of Leeds end of 2021, 812,000 average crowd this season 12,940 with a high of 15,418. St. Helens population end of 2021 183,200 average crowd this season 11,701 with a high of 17,908. No doubt you could throw in Wigan and Warrington to the mix with a higher crowd per population. Do the maths.

End of season futile chatter.
PreviousNext