Currently there are 567 Rugby League fans online with over 120,000 regular users.

An equalising drop goal with three minutes to go from Warrington's Lee Briers ensured that sides shared the spoils in a hard fought 17-17 draw at the DW Stadium.

Matty Smith kicked a drop goal of his own with 10 minutes remaining to give the home side a 17-16 lead, but Briers levelled the scores in a game that could have been won by either side.

Joel Monaghan scored the first of two tries to open the scoring for the visitors making it four consecutive games against the Warriors in which he has scored.

Wigan winger Josh Charnley put Wigan on the score sheet but the usually prolific Pat Richards was unable to make the conversion as he missed half of his attempts on the night.

The home side took the lead for the first time through Ben Flower but this was cancelled out by Monaghan’s second try and a late penalty for Wigan gave them a 12-10 lead at half time.

Warrington took the lead at the start of the second half with a wonderful solo effort from Richie Myler and man of the match Liam Farrell scored his own to bring the scores level leaving it to the half backs Smith and Briers to settle the scores with their drop goals in the last 10 minutes.

Monaghan scored his 60th Warrington try to open the scoring for his side. The Wolves were given a scrum deep inside Wigan’s half for a knock-on against Sam Tomkins and they worked the ball to the left hand side for Briers to send a pass to the winger who dove over for the score.

Charnley bagged his first try of the night thanks to some fast hands from his centre Darrell Goulding but Richards missed the conversion to bring the sides level.

The home side then took the lead through interchange Flower. Wigan took advantage of some sloppy defence to win a penalty for catching Adrian Morley not square. An offload from Sean O’Loughlin inside Warrington’s 10 metre line opened up space for Farrell to feed Flower who crashed through Paul Wood to score next to the posts.

A high kick from Briers set his side up for their second try of the night. The ball looped towards Charnley and bounced off his chest in to Evans’ arms giving Wire a fresh set of six. They then spread the ball to the left and this time it was Hodgson turning provider for Monaghan to stroll in for his second try. Wigan fans felt aggrieved as replays showed Charnley was in mid-air when he was tackled by Ryan Atkins as he lost the ball.

Wigan were handed a 12-10 lead going into half time when Gareth Carvell gave away a penalty for a high tackle in front of the posts.

Myler put Warrington ahead immediately at the start of the second half with some nifty footwork to squeeze through Wigan’s defence. O’Loughlin rushed out of the defensive line giving Myler space to sidestep through a gap and dart in under the posts.

Wigan drew the scores level through Farrell thanks to some clever play from Smith and Green. Both playmakers dummied passes to their outside and broke through the line leaving Green and easy offload to Farrell who ran in unmarked for the score.

Referee Phil Bentham had to have a word with Wigan captain O’Loughlin as the game heated up. Tomkins was penalised for holding Atkins down and Smith was penalised for a dangerous tackle.

With both teams giving away easy possession with mistakes and penalties, Wigan drove upfield but couldn’t make their way through Warrington’s strong defence leaving Smith to kick a drop goal to put the home side 17-16 up with nine minutes to go.

Briers levelled the scores with a drop of his own with just three minutes remaining. Brett Hodgson and Stefan Ratchford made easy ground to set up the Briers 30 metres away - but he had to rely on a kind bounce off the left upright as it dropped through the posts.

The Warrington halfback tried his luck from 50 metres in the final seconds of the second half but his attempt fell well short as the game ended.

Wigan: Tomkins, Charnley, Goulding, Thornley, Richards; Green, Smith; Dudson, McIlorum, Mossop, Hughes, Farrell, O’Loughlin.
Replacements: Flower, Taylor, Powell, Burke.

T: Charnley, Flower, Farrell
G: Richards 2/4
DG: Smith

Warrington: Hodgson, Riley, Evans, Atkins, J Monaghan; Briers, Myler; Morley, M Monaghan, Hill, Waterhouse, Westwood, Grix.
Replacements: Carvell, Cooper, Higham, Ratchford.

T: J Monaghan x2, Myler
G: Hodgson 2/3
DG: Briers

Referee: Phil Bentham

RLFANS Man of the Match: Liam Farrell

Half Time: 12-10
Full Time: 17-17

POSTED IN: Main News | Wigan Warriors - cherryandwhite.co.uk | Warrington Wolves