[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 1036: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /var/www/html/menu.rlfans.com/header.php:47)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 1036: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /var/www/html/menu.rlfans.com/header.php:47)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 1036: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /var/www/html/menu.rlfans.com/header.php:47)

Salford Red Devils were seeking a third consecutive victory as they placed to the league leaders St Helens in the Thursday night televised clas in round thirteen of Super League. The pundits and the bookies all pointed to a Saints win and a tough night at the office for the Devils at the AJ Bell Stadium.

After a stunning win over Wakefield Trinity last time out the home side had Jake Shorrocks in for the injured Rob Lui, Lee Mossop replacing Ben Nakumuwai in the front row and Lama Tasi on the bench. Saints put sixty-six points on the Giants last weekend and welcomed back Mark Percival and Zeb Taia.

The neutrals were hoping for a close game.

Just three minutes had elapsed when Tommy Makinson got the opener for Saints, flying in at the corner after taking a delightful miss-out pass from Ben Barba. Danny Richardson was unable to add the extras in swirling wind.

Rather than open the flood gates, Salford doubled down in defence but on thirteen Makinson took a high kick and found Dominic Peyroux in support to go over under the sticks for a simple finish. This time Richardson added the goal for a 10-0 lead.

Two minutes later and Ben Barba ran the angle at the end of an expansive passing move, dropping the shoulder to go over by the uprights. Richardson added the extras and now Saints were scoring at a point a minute.

On twenty-one Ryan Morgan used upper body strength to push his way over the line and ground while on his back. Silly penalties and mistakes had already cost Salford the game. Richardson used the wind to slide the ball over the crossbar for 22-0.

Salford registered their first try on the back of two quick penalties as Tyrone McCarthy took a short pass from Logan Tomkins to crash over from three metres. Jake Shorrocks added the conversion.

On thirty-four Ben Barba intercepted on his own line and went the length of the field to score, outpacing the Salford chasing defenders. Richardson added the extras for 28-6. The Red Devils were a long way off the pace of a scintillating Saints.

On thirty-seven Matty Lees was shown a red card for an attack to the head on Nial Evalds leaving the Salford full-back requiring off-field treatment. Saints were down to twelve for the rest of the game but it didn’t stop them scoring as Regan Grace went over to score with one minute of the half remaining. Richardson slipped talking the conversion and slipped the ball wide of the uprights.

It took thirteen minutes of the second half for Saints to break the line again, this time after a Shorrock miss-field of a high kick. Three plays later and the ball was moved wide left for Grace to get his second off a Barba pass. Richardson added the goal from wide.

On the kick-off return Louie McCarthy-Scarsbrook broke down field and after a quick play the ball Jonny Lomax was instrumental in putting Mark Percival over for the try. Richardson was unable to convert this time but the Saints were through the forty mark.

Seconds before the sixty and Barba found his way through a broken Salford line to pick up a Richardson grubber and grab his first Saints hat-trick. Richardson added the conversion for 48-6, it was turning into a rout.

Junior Sa'u was sin-binned on sixty-two for a flop, evening up the numbers.

As Sa’u returned on seventy-two Ben Barba took a heavy knock, landing on his shoulder while attempting an offload, and he was stretchered from the field. A worrying sign for the player, coaching staff and supporters.

On seventy-three Theo Fages scored Saints tenth try of the night after throwing a dummy and then going through a big gap in the Salford defence. Richardson kicked the conversion for 54-6.

Ryan Morgan got his second on seventy-six after collecting a Makinson chip over the top to ground at the end of a flowing passing move. Richardson was again accurate with the boot and Saints hit sixty for the second consecutive week for 60-6. Chris Welham got a late consolation grounding a grubber through with just seconds remaining. Shorrocks was unable to add the extras leaving Saints with a 60-10 win.

This was a walk in the park for Saints who breezed past a Salford side who have caused some decent sides some problems in recent weeks. Saints go four points clear but will be worried about the Barba prognosis and whether Lees will incur the wrath of the disciplinary committee. Salford will pick themselves up and go again next time as they continue their quest to avoid the middle eights.

Devils: Evalds, Johnson, Sa’u (SB on 62), Welham (T), Bibby, Shorrocks (G), Littlejohn, Mossop, Tomkins, Burgess, Griffin, Lannon, Flanagan.  Subs: Wood, Kopczak, Tasi, McCarthy (T).

Saints: Barba (3T), Makinson (T), Morgan (2T), Percival (T), Grace (2T), Lomax, Richardson (8G), Amor, Smith, Thompson, Peyroux (T), Taia, Wilkin.  Subs: Fages (T), McCarthy-Scarsbrook, Lees (SO on 37), Knowles.

Referee: Chris Kendall.

Half-Time: 6-32.

Full-Time: 10-60.

Attendance: .

Posted by RLFANS News Hound on Thu 26th Apr 2018 9:53 PM | Views : 1743 | Replies : 0 | BACK TO STORIES
or REGISTER for more features!.